RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

WHOA! You tipped us over 100 pages buddy :lol:

4 minutes ago, Greg W said:

I really enjoy studying that last photo. The difference between port and starboard is dramatic. What are your favorite scribing tools ATM?

Initially I use Dymo tape and a good old fashioned compass needle, then I remove the Dymo tape and and use a PE razor saw.  This is because it will give a consistent line through different mediums like resin, plastic and CA. Then I give it a buff with 0000 steel wool and worn out emery paper. Finally if I am happy I use an old Hasegawa Tri-tool scriber and this can sometimes be used soften the line edges a touch to match surrounding existing surface details.

HTH

Cheers Anthony 

17 minutes ago, easixpedro said:

I didn’t want to be the fella to put you over 100 pages, but here we are! How in the heck did you deal with that nasty upper/lower fuselage seam next to the intakes. It’s always a bear and yours looks perfect?!

Haha, me either!  Greg was our sacrificial member and he must be burned at the stake after 50 lashings LOL.

I back filled it with CA and used a tiny triangular file to work it down.  Then a piece of emery paper glued to a piece of plastic 'T' section to sand it to the profile I was happy with...and more CA and Mr Surfacer LOL

All kidding aside, I wish to thank you for re-starting this build when you did though you did so reluctantly at the time.  This is one of my favorite aircraft and Frank Mitchell's version years ago stands as one of my all-time favorite builds in 1/32.  I have built it the kit in 1/72 and 1/48 and loved it.  A conversion in 1/32 is WAY beyond my abilities.  My vicarious pleasure in your build is beyond description!  Frank would be proud of you!  Following you to the finish line!  :goodjob:

On 2/6/2023 at 11:05 AM, Greg W said:

Yup, I took one for the team...

Er ok, not really. I blindly walked right into that.

Thank you sir for breaking that down for us. As per usual, awesome work here at the Brit Phan workshop!

LOL...thanks all the same!

I appreciate your constant encouragement as I go...thank you!

On 2/6/2023 at 1:25 PM, KiwiZac said:

Anthony, I'm moving to Blenheim in a few months so there's the opportunity for me to get updates in person...not to pressure you at all ;)

Absolutely mate!!

On 2/6/2023 at 6:53 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

100 pages! Are we there yet?

Kev

Hahaha....I am going as fast as I can:D

On 2/7/2023 at 3:39 PM, amurray said:

This is better than a New Year's Eve Times Square countdown!  :m0152:

LOL you're only encouraging the masses at the door with pitchforks and torches :lol:

On 2/7/2023 at 4:14 PM, easixpedro said:

1 oh 1!

1 oh 1!

1 oh 1!

seriously, need to see some paint on this. I’m tempted to start another Phantom just so we can have another go at taunting each other. Gotta finish a Lib first though :D

LOL and you're no better...I bet you were a troublemaker at school too 

Go on, do another Phantom....you will probably finish before me again haha

On 2/9/2023 at 1:29 PM, amurray said:

All kidding aside, I wish to thank you for re-starting this build when you did though you did so reluctantly at the time.  This is one of my favorite aircraft and Frank Mitchell's version years ago stands as one of my all-time favorite builds in 1/32.  I have built it the kit in 1/72 and 1/48 and loved it.  A conversion in 1/32 is WAY beyond my abilities.  My vicarious pleasure in your build is beyond description!  Frank would be proud of you!  Following you to the finish line!  :goodjob:

Thanks buddy!

Yes I did restart reluctantly at the time and I am grateful for everyones support along the way or I would be working on something else now.

Franks build was also one of my all time favorite builds too! He was the inspiration that you can take that Tamiya kit and actually make a Spey engined Brit bird. Frank never said his was the definitive build but proved to us all that it could be done with enough determination.  I am eternally grateful to him for that.  I tried messaging him to say that but got no reply.  I really want him to know how much I appreciated him paving the way and his build is still magnificent to this day.

Thanks for following along....and who knows, we might see a conversion kit come out....^_^

Someone here or on BM comented on the real banana shape the Spey gave the lower line...it took a loooong time to get that correct.

This photo from Ian Blacks book (a must have) really highlights it

9WcZwi.jpg

Although I am not going to drop the flaps, 571 looks great here with them down

Z0G5en.jpg

Thanks again all, I will do an update later today

Cheers Anthony

15 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Someone here or on BM comented on the real banana shape the Spey gave the lower line...it took a loooong time to get that correct.

This photo from Ian Blacks book (a must have) really highlights it

9WcZwi.jpg

Hi Anthony,

I think that I mentioned it in one of your earlier pages, but I am certain that others have also. I agree with everything you said about Frank's conversion. This is such an iconic build buddy!

Cheers

Derek

Edited by Derek B

2 hours ago, Derek B said:

Hi anthony,

I think that I mentioned it in one of your earlier pages, but I am certain that others have also. I agree with everything you said about Frank's conversion. This is such an iconic build buddy!

Cheers

Derek

Thanks Derek!  Yeah Frank is a legend

Ok so I am doing another update but fear there is not much to show, however it may be of interest.  I'll try and make it sound more exciting than it really is LOL

Most of the underwing details are done (still a few areas that need attention) but I have decided to only do the bits that cant really be done before the upper wing goes on without damaging stuff.  I know a lot of you dont like rivets but hopefully they will mostly vanish unless you get up close.  But I can take advantage of them in areas of high wear.

W0rCnm.jpg

Whilst still on the underside I added some more surface details and added this antenna

lUw2A2.jpg

F6ZMtg.jpg

Upper wings getting the treatment.  Notice repositioning of the upper surface access panels and spar cap details added amongst other things.

One thing to note is at the end of the wing centre section there is like a bleed air vent at the front by the wingfold.  This was scraped out and will be painted a stainless steel colour eventually.

1YvPZ2.jpg

B8GjFP.jpg

I must be getting close to gluing this port upper wing on soon.  I am keen to get them on as I am worried I am going to damage some of the delicate plumbing in the main wheel bays

OK so there we go, not very exciting but progress nevertheless.

Thanks for stopping by as always!

Anthony