RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

17 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Ok so I think I am going to pause on the cockpit for now as I dont want to risk damaging or getting dust inside that I cant remove or fix later.

Just trimmed @Ali62 beautiful front windscreen (perfect fit) and temp sitting in situ.  I am so happy with it.  Of course me being me now...I have added an edging to the rear 'hoop' where the canopy section closes onto and locks and seals. Blended in with a little JB Weld for strength.  There is definitely more to go in the cockpit but it's time to move back to the internals of the fuse so I can get the wing on.

JmbuGE.jpg

1X37oZ.jpg

Cheers Anthony

Hi Anthony,

@Ali62 is so good at what he does! The new windscreen looks superb and is now enhanced even more, good work Anthony.

Cheers

Derek

On 12/4/2022 at 11:46 AM, KiwiZac said:

Exquisite work mate!

Thank you Zac!

On 12/4/2022 at 10:25 PM, GMK said:

Anthony,

Really, really, liking this project. Looks like you’re largely over the cockpit hump. Well done!

Greg

Thanks Greg, yes mate I think the cockpit hurdle is mostly over...phew!!

On 12/5/2022 at 2:52 AM, vvwse4 said:

Bloody great!!

Rick

Thanks Rick!  Slowly but surely

On 12/5/2022 at 3:48 AM, Derek B said:

Hi Anthony,

@Ali62 is so good at what he does! The new windscreen looks superb and is now enhanced even more, good work Anthony.

Cheers

Derek

Cheers Derek!  Yup @Ali62 canopy set is superb and a must purchase in my opinion if you're doing the Tamiya Phantom

On 12/5/2022 at 10:44 AM, monthebiff said:

Incredible work Anthony, such a special build and your cockpit really is beautifully painted and weathered.

Regards. Andy 

Appreciate that Andy, I will take that compliment as I dislike doing cockpits LOL

On 12/6/2022 at 8:20 AM, crobinsonh said:

Brilliant work.

Thank you sir!  Nice to have you still hanging in there with me!

On 12/9/2022 at 10:40 AM, wunwinglow said:

Phwoooar! Eh?! PHWOOOAAR!!!

Hahah thanks buddy!  These responses humble me :wub:

On 12/9/2022 at 9:41 PM, Starfighter said:

A thing of beauty. So glad to see you back on track, Anthony! 

Thanks Ben, yes mate and enjoying every minute!

WAIT....did I say enjoying every minute??  But I have been working on the cockpit!  Hmmm, maybe I am softening to disliking working on cockpits?? LOL

10 hours ago, DonH said:

We are all drooling over the quality of the scratch building, level of accuracy and detail and rightly so. However, let's also give an honourable mention to the quality of the paintwork exhibited thus far. The cockpit is just perfect.

Thanks Don, you know.....comments like this encourage me to push myself as I consider myself crap at cockpits especially when I see what others here can do, maybe I shouldnt be so hard on myself?  Either way, a genuine thanks for your encouragement!

Another update coming soon, just downloading some photos

Cheers guys

Anthony

So it is time to move on from the cockpit for now and get the last items in the fuse ready for epoxying the wing on.

Sadly I didn't take a pic of the 3 piece engine fronts before I epoxied them into the intake ducts.  These ducts needed a good clean as they were dusty from prev work.  Anyway I have them all sealed up and the Tamiya Canopy kit parts (excl the centre piece) back on and sealed with Tamiya masking tape to mitigate dirt and sanding dust getting in.

RSq8xN.jpg

So back to the 'hot' end again

This is a very uninteresting part to paint but kinda tricky at the same time.  I used a base of Mr Color Titanium, then sprayed various mixes of greys and a touch of green.  Then washes and streaking with Tamiya weathering pigments.  I did my very best to copy photos and as much as I wanted it to look more 'dramatic' and exciting I just couldnt.  I used these as some of my refs

Photo credit Iain Ogilvie

sFqAAX.jpg

Photo credit Dave Gledhill

wpG2gO.png

rU2JUW.jpg

Trying to get the streakiness to match

kNsb1A.jpg

VO5tJp.jpg

tG9n65.jpg

But you know what....once the cans are on and I dont have direct light shining up there you cant really se a lot anyway...oh well

8liQ44.jpg

Ok now it's back to the upper and lower aux air door interiors then I think I can get the lower wing on??

Cheers guys as always thanks and I hope it is of use to anyone wanting to tackle this.

Anthony

Neat work Anthony. Those burner cans are really going to pop after a lick of paint.

Whilst enjoying your pics I noticed something. I borrowed one of your images to illustrate it. 

6-CEF9332-55-A5-4-FEB-9934-6-E5-A123023-

This area is solid on the model at the moment but is hollow on the full sized bird ( see Dave Gledhill’s photo above). Do you have any plans to remove material here to replicate the 1:1 version?

Cheers

31 minutes ago, geedubelyer said:

Neat work Anthony. Those burner cans are really going to pop after a lick of paint.

Whilst enjoying your pics I noticed something. I borrowed one of your images to illustrate it. 

6-CEF9332-55-A5-4-FEB-9934-6-E5-A123023-

This area is solid on the model at the moment but is hollow on the full sized bird ( see Dave Gledhill’s photo above). Do you have any plans to remove material here to replicate the 1:1 version?

Cheers

Thanks very much!

I was wondering if someone would ask the question and yes I have a cunning plan.  I posted a pic a looong time ago when I was setting these up and the plan is to run a strip of plastic card around the edge like this

svJzBH.jpg

Cant do it until I get the lower wing section though

Cheers Anthony

9 minutes ago, geedubelyer said:

Ah, yes. I do remember now Anthony. Apologies, my memory is not what it used to be. ^_^

That will be an elegant solution and is sure to look superb. :goodjob:

LOL neither is mine at times either!

Thanks for keeping me on my toes though....love that!

Cheers Anthony