Any Tamiya 1/32 rumours?

timvkampen

I think Tamiya has shot themselves in the foot in big scale and not even realized it.  They've released a few planes...  not got the projected sales... and decided not to sell the ones that everyone is after because there aren't "enough" large scale modelers around. 

Just my theory...

17 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Not sure how to get to four Zeros.  I only know of 3: A6M5, A6M2, and A6M5 w/ real sound

They did a "Real Sound" A6M2 as well: guy in my club has one, it regularly goes to UK shows with him.

6 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

Would really like to see a Spitty Mk Vb, and Mk I.

Indeed so

2 hours ago, Fred Jack said:

I’d love a 1/32 P-38 E or F.

Make it a J or an L, an F-5, or a Droop Snoot J and I'm with you.

And Tamiya-San, there's the ideas for three boxings straight off.  No charge. :)

I am no expert but my guess is the investment ratio for the same plane in 1/48 and 1/32 is not proportional to the size ratio.

In addition, as said by some of you before, the market in 1/32 is more restricted than in smaller scale (basically, you need more room and the kits are more expensive, sometimes more complex as well). Even with cash makers like there recent productions (Mosquito excluded to my opinion, due to its size and it is less an icon than a spit.

Dont get me wrong, I love the mossie and built it recently but if you ask anybody what WW2 plane they have in mind first, most people will tell Spit, P-51, Zero, 109, 190, Corsair...

Also there is a trend I observed in the way Tam engineered the kits: they reduced the level of complexity in their most recent kits (and I honestly prefer these recent high quality kits with less complex stuff. Kits are not toys).

The F-16 and the Zero: they are practically over engineered: removable engine, movable flight controls on the F-16, movable flight control, retractable gear and even simulated oleo shock absorbers on the zero.

Then, on the next productions, these features tend to be reduced and some even disappear:

Spit: movable flight controls are still there, they introduce the clever magnet system for the engine cowls but that's it. The gear is fixed (you can switch it yes but you need to  remove some parts). Same on the P-51 (If I rememebr well you can exchange the full LG Bay between extended or retracted gear but that's it).

Then on the corsair: no more movable flt ctl, wing are fixed in folded or unfolded position and you can't change (ZM did movable wings in the skyraider).

On the mossie, same principle: no more moving parts. The only thing that remains are the magnetic engine cowls.

Edited by discus

On 4/7/2020 at 2:04 PM, DeanKB said:

The Koolhoven Fk.58 managed to shoot down approximately no enemy planes. No one sausage. Dim.

I'd buy one.  (Special Hobby ?)

Easiest would be Mossie MkIV  and/or a F4U-4

Surprise , Hurricane (could follow the pattern, MkI , MkIIc , MkIVd ...  rockets , 262 ?   :shrug:

Edited by MikeMaben
mossie 4 not 6

Hurricane would be nice - plenty of examples to use as reference, too - for me, preferably a IIc or d.  Beaufighter would also be nice, but I'd need a bigger house to display it! 

A Hunter would also certainly work for me. Revell's offering is now long in the tooth, Tamiya would do it justice and there'd be a host of possible marking schemes, too. 

Westland Whirlwind would be lovely but there's no reference airframe - plus it's probably too niche for them.  

I'd also love to see Tamiya do a 1/32 Sea Fury.  I would pay good money for that!

Whatever the subject, it'd be nice to have poseable ailerons, elevators and rudder - but please, please, please, no more vinyl tyres or swappable undercarriage!

Edited by Sepp

Tamiya will make what they want, so Teletubbies for Dean is just as likely as a big Deuce or Six or Beaufighter (mama mia!) 

The annoying thing about the "they always make what and when they want to" Tamiya whimsy is that it has seemingly stifled the Mosquito conversion market. 

Probably because of the variants bumpf in the Mosquito instructions and the way the kit is designed, a lot of us have been assuming a bullnose Night Fighter and V-windshield bomber would follow the FB.VI. 

But we can live in hope! 

Tony 

15 hours ago, DeanKB said:

If you're a Dutch fan of early, rubbish WWII aircraft, that managed to end the war with zero confirmed kill, 100% agree.

Your niche has finally arrived.

The other 99.9999999999% of the population, maybe not so much.

13 hours ago, DeanKB said:

The Koolhoven Fk.58 managed to shoot down approximately no enemy planes. No one sausage. Dim.

About as blood soaked as the Teletubbies.

Significantly greater than 0.01% of the kit buying population have absolutely zero blood lust. I'd rather model an aircraft or scheme which was purely peacetime. In fact, I'd be delighted if the Tamiya whimsy gave us a spurt of 1/32 trainers, crop dusters or light aviation types.

Tony 

Any of a P-47 Razorback, F-86 Sabre, Royal Navy F-4U Corsair or a scale up of their Spitfire Mk.I would have me dipping my hand in my pocket. Though to be perfectly honest if they do have anything in the pipeline and when it is released I’ll probably give it some consideration whatever the subject may be. The only Tamiya 1/32 aircraft kits I’ve not bought (not including the are boxing of Italeri kits for the Japanese market) at some point in my meandering journey through building a stash, selling the stash, rebuilding a new more focused stash, selling that stash due to losing any interest in that focused area and rebuilding a new stash (you get the idea) has been the Birdcage Corsair. No interest in that one from me. And the Light and sound Zero. Whilst on the subject I would dearly love them to repop the Thunderbirds F-16. 

4 hours ago, discus said:

I

am no expert but my guess is the investment ratio for the same plane in 1/48 and 1/32 is not proportional to the size ratio.

In addition, as said by some of you before, the market in 1/32 is more restricted than in smaller scale (basically, you need more room and the kits are more expensive, sometimes more complex as well). Even with cash makers like there recent productions (Mosquito excluded to my opinion, due to its size and it is less an icon than a spit.

Dont get me wrong, I love the mossie and built it recently but if you ask anybody what WW2 plane they have in mind first, most people will tell Spit, P-51, Zero, 109, 190, Corsair...

Also there is a trend I observed in the way Tam engineered the kits: they reduced the level of complexity in their most recent kits (and I honestly prefer these recent high quality kits with less complex stuff. Kits are not toys).

The F-16 and the Zero: they are practically over engineered: removable engine, movable flight controls on the F-16, movable flight control, retractable gear and even simulated oleo shock absorbers on the zero.

Then, on the next productions, these features tend to be reduced and some even disappear:

Spit: movable flight controls are still there, they introduce the clever magnet system for the engine cowls but that's it. The gear is fixed (you can switch it yes but you need to  remove some parts).

Same on the P-51 (If I rememebr well you can exchange the full LG Bay between extended or retracted gear but that's it).

Then on the corsair: no more movable flt ctl, wing are fixed in folded or unfolded position and you can't change (ZM did movable wings in the skyraider).

On the mossie, same principle: no more moving parts. The only thing that remains are the magnetic engine cowls.

I applaud this trend. Having just built the P-51, I really detested all those "features".   They just add to the complexity and give you yet another chance to break something fragile.   Never understood what the purpose was of retractable landing gear and moveable control surfaces on a model like this.   After building a $150 dollar kit, dad is going to give it to little Jimmy for use as a toy?

The Mosquito and F4U-1D are the right way to go IMO.

3 hours ago, Tony T said:

Significantly greater than 0.01% of the kit buying population have absolutely zero blood lust. I'd rather model an aircraft or scheme which was purely peacetime. In fact, I'd be delighted if the Tamiya whimsy gave us a spurt of 1/32 trainers, crop dusters or light aviation types.

Tony 

The basis for the statement assumes that anybody modelling 1/32 warplanes must have some sort of "blood lust".

Aeroplane modellers are the amongst the most harmless human beings on planet Earth.

Perhaps you've seen them prowling the streets at night, randomly beating people up in between discussing whether Wingnut Wings or Tamiya represent the peak of the art? And anybody who wants to join but who has never modelled a trainer, crop sprayer or light aviation type are unable to enter "The Brotherhood of the the Blood Lust"?

We need to know.

45 minutes ago, DeanKB said:

Aeroplane modellers are the amongst the most harmless human beings on planet Earth.

LOL, you apparently have never seen the P-51 Puttied Wings deathmatches that I've witnessed. 

Oh the humanity!!!!   I still have nightmares........