Any Tamiya 1/32 rumours?

timvkampen

26 minutes ago, John1 said:

LOL, you apparently have never seen the P-51 Puttied Wings deathmatches that I've witnessed. 

Oh the humanity!!!!   I still have nightmares........

That is no lie!! Wow! I just don't get it...

2 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

I'm much more excited by what the likes of ICM, IBG, and Infinity will be releasing in the coming years, not to mention the KH Jag, and the HKM Phantom FG.1/FGR.2, unless Tamiya release a Harrier/Sea Harrier series... :tumble:

We might be in a minority, but I agree with you. P.11c, Vampire, Wyvern, Dewoitine D.500...that's stuff that makes me take notice. 

Although a P-51B/C would be nice too.

Richard

38 minutes ago, John1 said:

LOL, you apparently have never seen the P-51 Puttied Wings deathmatches that I've witnessed. 

Oh the humanity!!!!   I still have nightmares........

Well, there are those.

BUT it's all a bit of handbags at dawn, with only egos being damaged.

Hardly deathmatch - but having said that, if weapons were allowed I'd queue up to see it.

13 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

I'm much more excited by what the likes of ICM, IBG, and Infinity will be releasing in the coming years, not to mention the KH Jag, and the HKM Phantom FG.1/FGR.2, unless Tamiya release a Harrier/Sea Harrier series... :tumble:

Exactly! I'd rather see a new subjected modelled for the first time, rather than a new Bf 109G-6, which is then compared to the other 94 such models already on the market.

9 minutes ago, R Palimaka said:

We might be in a minority, but I agree with you. P.11c, Vampire, Wyvern, Dewoitine D.500...that's stuff that makes me take notice. 

Although a P-51B/C would be nice too.

Richard

I'm in!

2 hours ago, DeanKB said:

The basis for the statement assumes that anybody modelling 1/32 warplanes must have some sort of "blood lust".

Aeroplane modellers are the amongst the most harmless human beings on planet Earth.

Perhaps you've seen them prowling the streets at night, randomly beating people up in between discussing whether Wingnut Wings or Tamiya represent the peak of the art? And anybody who wants to join but who has never modelled a trainer, crop sprayer or light aviation type are unable to enter "The Brotherhood of the the Blood Lust"?

We need to know.

No it doesn't. I love fast jets. 

Aeroplane modellers are far too busy cutting themselves and supergluing their fingers to be a threat to society.

Stay safe,

Tony

1 hour ago, Tony T said:

No it doesn't. I love fast jets. 

Aeroplane modellers are far too busy cutting themselves and supergluing their fingers to be a threat to society.

Stay safe,

Tony

And when not doing that, any remaining time is spent researching PC10 colours.

Two that I'd like to see are a 1/32 P-38J/L and a T-33 T-Bird. I know there was the Revell kit years ago and we still have the Trumpeter kit but a Tamiya Lightning would be really nice not to mention a model that would display nicely beside the Tamiya Mosquito. As for the T-33, sure there is the Special Hobby kit but again a Tamiya quality kit certainly has my vote. It should also be a winner from a marketing perspective as it was flown by over 40 countries. Tamiya could also take the idea a step further and offer a P-80 Shooting Star kit as the two aircraft share much in common. After all, the T-Bird was simply the P-80 design that was stretched to accommodate the additional seat/pilot.

13 hours ago, discus said:

I am no expert but my guess is the investment ratio for the same plane in 1/48 and 1/32 is not proportional to the size ratio.

That's a very good point. Marketing issues aside, Tamiya makes two Ferrari Enzo kits (that I'm aware of), a 1:24 kit and a 1:12 kit. While the 1:12 kit is only twice the scale, it's ten times the price! Given the choice between a reasonably affordable 1:24 kit and the through the roof price of the 1:12 kit, I have no reasonable recourse but to choose the 1:24 kit. Perhaps the pricing options between 1:48 and 1:32 are similar with the majority, and that would certainly explain the apparent chasm between the available 1:48 Tamiya catalog vs the 1:32.

As to brand new vs existing kits, and a claim therefore that new kits of the same old thing are irrelevant, an opinion we hear here frequently, if any competent manufacture were to release some new state-of-the-art, accurate and well detailed 1:24 or 1:25 late 20s to mid 30s coupes, phaetons and roadsters, they'd sell gazillions of them, and I'd be the first in line for them. While there are indeed already OK kits of many of these cars out there, they also reflect the modeling philosophy of their time, and many are 60 year old kits, in dire need of new replacements.

19 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

As to brand new vs existing kits, and a claim therefore that new kits of the same old thing are irrelevant, an opinion we hear here frequently, if any competent manufacture were to release some new state-of-the-art, accurate and well detailed 1:24 or 1:25 late 20s to mid 30s coupes, phaetons and roadsters, they'd sell gazillions of them, and I'd be the first in line for them. While there are indeed already OK kits of many of these cars out there, they also reflect the modeling philosophy of their time, and many are 60 year old kits, in dire need of new replacements.

What I don't understand about this:

Why don't manufacturers, or at least a manufacturer, do so?

18 minutes ago, DeanKB said:

What I don't understand about this:

Why don't manufacturers, or at least a manufacturer, do so?

I have no earthly idea, Dean. Round 2, Revell and Moebius do pop off a few new kits now and again, but their specific kit choices can sometimes be a bit puzzling, that's for certain. I mean a '52 Hudson Hornet,... seriously?

31 pages on this topic! I think Tamiya 1/32 is a winner here. :)

By the way, have I mentioned a 1/32 Spitfire Mk I would be great? Surface detail like the Revell 1966 kit, but to Tamiya accuracy and detailing standards.

Ok, ok, I'll get my hat and coat ......

PR

Edited by Pete Roberts