timvkampen

Any Tamiya 1/32 rumours?

Honestly for me personally, 72nd has more of a place than 48th does. For some unknown reason, I have grown to really despise the latter.   

But 1/72nd, has some choices in it that I really like, that honestly could not ever practically be done in 1/32nd, like my 72nd PBM-5A > GR.1 conversion, or my 1/72nd A400M.  But yes, some would not touch another scale, and I am somwhat like that, as its rare for me to work outside of that, my preferred scale. 

Tamiya is an excellent company, and makes (IMHO) arguably the best 1/32nd scale kits on the market.  It would be highly disappointing if they were to not ever touch the scale again, since I think they are on top as far as manus go, but I still have some (all actually) the Tamiya LSPs I've ever purchased for myself in my stash to build, so I guess Id be fortunate to have those

Posted (edited)

Well I'll take the pure business line and suggest that Tamiya will keep to it's current formula of multiple versions for each aircraft.  So, we have currently in the Tamiya 1/32 line-up of repeat offerings:

F-4 x 5

F-14 x  2

F-15 x 2

F-16 x 2

Mitshubishi Zero x 4

Spitfire x 3

P-51 x 3

F4U Corsair x 3

With the last three being 'recent' releases having a pattern of 3 models per aircraft.

So from my slightly cynical perspective, which aircraft would be the most attractive (highest selling) and provide opportunity for seperate releases of say, 3 models on the one base kit?  Add to this is Tamiya's wanting to inspect existing aircraft for details (e.g. Vintage Wings in Canada for the Spitfire...see a previous post in this thread). 

Also Smithsonian and other collections:

https://www.si.edu/spotlight/wwii-aircraft

I'm guessing that the leaning will be towards WW2 Pacific Theatre given their recent trends.  So, candidates include for example:

• P-47 Thunderbolt- also Europe Theatre for subsequent releases like their P-51 Korea model
  • Grumman Hellcat - no decent 1/32 kit exists
  • P-38 Lightning - Lots of versions, Pacific, North Africa, Europe
  • P-40 - Again plenty of versions to release -  Warhawk, Kittyhawk, Tomahawk - Flying Tigers etc etc.  However there are already some good kits in the market.
  • I'll also throw in a Sabre...

I would be happy for any of the above, especially the Sabre..of which there is no decent kit in 1/32. But my bets are on in order:

1. F-86 Sabre - Mainly due to their recent P-51 Korea model which would make an ideal marriage of kits from the Korean War.
  2. P-38
  3. P-47
  4. P-40

Edited by Peter Browne
words, just words

4 hours ago, Peter Browne said:

Well I'll take the pure business line and suggest that Tamiya will keep to it's current formula of multiple versions for each aircraft.  So, we have currently in the Tamiya 1/32 line-up of repeat offerings:

F-4 x 5

F-14 x  2

F-15 x 2

F-16 x 2

Mitshubishi Zero x 4

Spitfire x 3

P-51 x 3

F4U Corsair x 3

With the last three being 'recent' releases having a pattern of 3 models per aircraft...

I don't think we're going to get anything new in 1/32 from Tamiya for a long time (if ever), but within the unfortunate bounds of constrained earthly reality (therefore excluding anything preposterous) a Bf 109 G would turn other manufacturers' offerings into crud scrapers and sell by the shipload. But that's way too sensible a policy for whimsy-driven Tamiya.

My subject desires are completely different, and the proselytizing lure of a new Revell 1/48 Habu, Airfix 1/72 Vulcan and suchlike is rapidly replacing Tamiyawesomeness and only-Trumpeter-does-it-so-put-up-and-shut-up with smaller scale offerings. The ultimate return to 1/32 and a full cure will come only if and when Hong Kong Models releases its F-4K/FG.1 Spey Toom, Tan Model its unicorn Sea Flanker and Kitty Hawk the pledged Jaguars and Thunderstreak.

Tony 

The one outlier is the Mosquito, which is without doubt, Tamiya’s best 32nd effort.   The kit was designed so that a bomber version could easily be offered, along with various night fighter versions as well.   So far nothing has be released except the FB.VI.   

To me, an F-86 makes the most sense for a new kit.  Good connection to their home market, hundreds of colorful schemes to choose from and these jets were used by dozens of nations.  I would think a Saber would sell very well.    

29 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

By the way, should I remind that Tamiya has just released another 1/32 kit... :whistle:

Changing the P to an F pretty much sums it all up

Tony 

20 minutes ago, Tony T said:

Changing the P to an F pretty much sums it all up

Tony 

Not really.   It’s about the same as going from the F4U-1A to the 1D.  

15 minutes ago, John1 said:

Not really.   It’s about the same as going from the F4U-1A to the 1D.  

I wasn't talking about aircraft designations!  

But that's good news — it means Tamiya's 1/32 isn't all dead trousers.

Tony

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Peter Browne said:

F-4 x 5

F-14 x  2

F-15 x 2

F-16 x 2

Mitshubishi Zero x 4

Spitfire x 3

P-51 x 3

F4U Corsair x 3

Some updates, although I’m not sure how some are counted.  There were:

3x F-14 releases:  Original, 1994, Black Knights

4x F-15 releases:  C, J, original E, E w/ bunker buster

Not sure how to get to four Zeros.  I only know of 3: A6M5, A6M2, and A6M5 w/ real sound

4x Mustang releases:  D, silver plated D, D/K, and F-51D

Edited by Dave Williams

17 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

And still no Mosquito B.IV :(

Amen. I'd like a blue PR.4 to go with the silver FB.VI (and a grey/green NF.XIX to go with both).

A bit like wanting three pints of everlasting Guinness

Tony 

I don’t know what happens with subsequent Mosquito releases.  I am betting it was not as successful of a release as the other 1/32 kits.  It could have been hurt by HK releasing other versions around the same time so the market for 1/32 Mosquito and people that would buy them was nearly saturated by the time Tamiya got their kit out.  I have one to build, it is an amazing kit.  I have another build in front of it but hope to get it this year.

Posted (edited)

I've never seen any real evidence that Tamiya does or doesn't anything in reaction to what someone else has done in the same market.  Airfix just did a new 1/48 Spitfire Mk.I, and Tamiya came a year and a half later and did the exact same thing.  There are other examples as well.

I also haven't seen any real evidence that sales potential has much influence on what they do.  It's true that the plastic kit division of Tamiya is more of a plaything for the upper management of the company than necessarily being a profit center for them.  It represents a tiny fraction of Tamiya's business.  Otherwise there's no explanation for their doing a 1/48 D.520!  Their big splash for their 100th 1/48 aircraft kit was a......  Fiesler Storch??  Not a guaranteed runaway best seller (nice kit though).

Edited by Jennings Heilig

I don’t think that the existence of the HK Mosquito kits would have much impact on the sales of a Tamiya B.IV, if they choose to release one.  The HK kits have a few issues, and there will always be people out there who will pay for Tamiya fit and quality.  One question is whether Tamiya has actually cut the molds for the bomber version.  If not, then maybe sales of the FB weren’t good enough to spend the money on the molding.  If they do already have the molds for the bomber, there seems little reason not to release it since some sales are better than no sales.

Right now may not be the best time for companies to invest in new kits, though.  We’re still seeing new kits, but most of them were pretty much done and ready to go when all of this started.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

I don’t think that the existence of the HK Mosquito kits would have much impact on the sales of a Tamiya B.IV, if they choose to release one.  The HK kits have a few issues, and there will always be people out there who will pay for Tamiya fit and quality.  One question is whether Tamiya has actually cut the molds for the bomber version.  If not, then maybe sales of the FB weren’t good enough to spend the money on the molding.  If they do already have the molds for the bomber, there seems little reason not to release it since some sales are better than no sales.

Right now may not be the best time for companies to invest in new kits, though.  We’re still seeing new kits, but most of them were pretty much done and ready to go when all of this started.

Tamiya did include some early version Mosquito parts in the FB.VI kit so they obviously had plans to do other versions.    If they didn’t want to incur the more significant cost for a bomber, they could opt for a less involved Strike Wing Mossie (just rockets and larger tanks) or one of the early night fighters with the original Merlin engines (just a new radar nose and some cockpit bits). 

Edited by John1