1/32 Tamiya F4U-1a Corsair - Boyington's 17740

Thunnus

Finally.  An envelope from the Czech Republic was delivered to my doorstep.  One set of HGW Wet Transfers for the F4U Corsair.
IMG-6722.jpg

Having never used wet transfers before, I thought it would be prudent to perform a test.
IMG-6724.jpg

The carrier film that holds the markings covers the whole sheet so you have to cut out each marking separately.  After cutting the marking out, application begins just like you would a normal decal: after dipping in water, the paper backing slides away allowing you to apply the decal.  The directions specifically call for Mr Mark Setter to be applied on the model before the marking.  From my understanding, Mr Mark Setter has adhesive properties and that is an important property for these wet transfers to work properly.  After the marking is slid into place, a cotton bud is used to blot out the excess fluid.  This is what the marking looks like after application.
IMG-6725.jpg

The instructions say to allow 6-8 hours to dry but being a test, I was curious if 3-4 hours was sufficient.  Using a toothpick, I carefully rubbed one corner of the clear carrier until it curled up and I used tweezers to pull of the carrier, leaving the marking behind.  In this case, 3-4 hours was sufficient for the marking to bond with model surface.  The result is a marking with zero clear decal film.
IMG-6729.jpg

With that initial test giving me some confidence, I applied the wet transfers on the top surfaces of both wings of the F4U.  Even with the removable carrier film still in place, the markings are still much thinner than the Tamiya decals treated with decal solution.  I'll probably leave these overnight before I start removing the carrier film.
IMG-6726.jpg
IMG-6727.jpg

Thanks guys!  Ok... I cheated!  I couldn't wait a full 24 hours to remove the carrier film from the transfers.  Later last night, after about 3 hours, I started pulling them off and found that the transfers had adhered well.  Here is one of the tiny stencils as the carrier is being removed.  No decal film whatsoever but I've found that the resolution of the transfers, compared to the Tamiya decals, is less than ideal.
IMG-6731.jpg

I would say that the transfers were 99% successful.  The only area that weren't perfect were some of the WALKWAY stencils which were applied over a panel lines.  The marking didn't settle all the way into the panel line and therefore the marking turned out incomplete.
IMG-6744.jpg

The rest of the transfers came out great.
IMG-6732.jpg
IMG-6743.jpg
IMG-6745.jpg

I slide the wings and horizontal stabilizers on and put 740 into the light box for some photos before the weathering process begins.
IMG-6750.jpg
IMG-6749.jpg
IMG-6748.jpg
IMG-6747.jpg

IMG-6752.jpg

Edited by Thunnus

Very nice looking with the decals in place, especially the lack of carrier film. The wing tip marking (hand grip) really made me think that someone could have used a paper cut out and sprayed the words onto the actual aircraft. 

Definitely looking forward to seeing your weathering bring this to life. 

Thanks guys!  I really liked the HGW wet transfers.  In some ways, they are superior to masks since they seem to be thinner than a coat of paint.  I had excellent results using warm water and the Mr Setter solution with a dry time of about 3-4 hours.

Time for a panel wash!  As usual, I am using a home-mixed pastel wash comprised of water, pastel chalk and a drop of dishwash soap.  For the white and lighter blue areas, I am using a brown color.  Please note, the stenciling on the wing bottoms are Tamiya decal and you can see the edges of the decal film.  I'm hoping that a little Micromeshing and the flat coat will blend them in.
IMG-6753.jpg
IMG-6756.jpg
IMG-6758.jpg

Difficult to see the effect on a wide angle shot of the entire wing but if you zoom in on certain areas, you can notice the effect.  My goal with the wash, in addition to highlighting detail, is to reduce the physical grooves and holes with lines and dots, which I think makes the surface look less like a plastic model.
IMG-6759.jpg

Here's the top side of the port wing.  No decal film visible here!
IMG-6760.jpg

The underside of the aircraft is completely covered with rivets, panel lines and other details.  So the wash will almost cover the surface completely.
IMG-6761.jpg
IMG-6762.jpg

After the wash is completely dry, it is wiped off carefully with a moistened paper towel.  I use small pieces and toss each piece as they get loaded with the dark wash.
IMG-6763.jpg

The darker blue upper surfaces are treated with a darker brown (almost black) wash.
IMG-6764.jpg

The effect is much more subtle due to the reduced contrast between the wash and the dark blue camo color.  But it should be more visible once the blue gets lightened with a flat coat.
IMG-6766.jpg
IMG-6769.jpg
IMG-6767.jpg

Next, I'm going to do some post-shading and some chipping using a fine sponge.