1/32 Tamiya F4U-1a Corsair - Boyington's 17740

Thunnus

Thanks for the comments guys!

8 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

This is pretty special.  Why are the landing gears' doors painting not complete?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

The doors are simply masks for the wheel well openings.  They were held in place with bits of Blue Tack... amazed at how well they fit!

Brilliant paint work! I hope I can get my paint job half as good as yours, once I get there. 

Question, port upper wing insignia.....different blue used versus the fuselage and starboard wing or just the way light is hitting it?

14 hours ago, Brett M said:

Brilliant paint work! I hope I can get my paint job half as good as yours, once I get there. 

Question, port upper wing insignia.....different blue used versus the fuselage and starboard wing or just the way light is hitting it?

Thanks Brett!  Same color for all of the insignias... Tamiya Royal blue so it must be lighting.

Took off the engine mask and popped the propeller into place to see how much of the engine can be seen.  Not much, I'm afraid!

IMG-6613.jpg

6 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

No Bar on this Star?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

No.  According to the Fundekals instruction for their F4U decal sheet, 740 is described as having its port wing replaced from an older Corsair, as characterized by the previous practice of having insignias on both sides of the wing.  Star with no bars under the port wing is visible in this photo...

487352-F4-U1-A17740-VMF21412431.jpg

Star with bars added on top of the port wing is visible in the following photo.  Although it is not clear in the photos, I've decided to depict the older two-tone camo on the port wing  so both sides were painted Blue-Grey and do not match the rest of the aircraft.

F4-U-1-Corsair-White-740-VMF214-Bougainv

I'm really enjoying that replaced / mismatched port wing and the national insignia. As much as I am interested in the planes that fought in the SW Pacific theater, their paint jobs were relatively boring compared to what we saw on the ETO fighters. 

You are giving a "boring" plane a lot of personality, tremendous effort!

Edited by TenSeven
sPeeling Erorrs

On 1/6/2020 at 8:38 AM, zaxos345 said:

Nice photoes John. One other thing i can notice, and is strange considering the adverse conditions on those islands, is that, at the first photo, the insignia white underneath seems too clear!!! 

John

Very true, John.  The undersides, as a whole, look relatively clean too.  I'm guessing that this photo was earlier in 740's career before it was worn down and beaten up.  If you look at that first promotional photo, you'll notice a lack of exhaust stains.

487352-F4-U1-A17740-VMF21412431.jpg

However, the photo below of 740 shows very obvious exhaust staining.

VMF-214-CO-Boyington-s-F4-U-1-A-Torokina

9 hours ago, TenSeven said:

I'm really enjoying that replaced / mismatched port wing and the national insignia. As much as I am interested in the planes that fought in the SW Pacific theater, their paint jobs were relatively boring compared to what we saw on the ETO fighters. 

You are giving a "boring" plane a lot of personality, tremendous effort!

I don't know if I'd call Corsair a boring plane, especially with the unique inverted gull wing configuration and a cool alias ("Whistling Death").  This build has been a good change of pace for me.  The color palette of whites and blues is so different from the Luftwaffe greens and browns that I'm used to working with.

8 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

I wouldn't say the Corsair was boring, a thing of beauty most definitely, and the model is looking mighty fine. 

While not boring, I don't know if I'd call the Corsair beautiful either! :D  But to each his own!  I consider the Corsair to be a very interesting aircraft and the Tamiya kit is deserving of all of the praise that has been heaped on it.  Let's hope the HGW wet transfers arrive soon so that I get on with the weathering.

21 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

I wouldn't say the Corsair was boring, a thing of beauty most definitely, and the model is looking mighty fine. 

Guys, guys, guys... I didn't say the Corsair was boring, I said:

22 hours ago, TenSeven said:

...their paint jobs were relatively boring compared to what we saw on the ETO fighters. 

It's been my favorite warbird since I first saw them zooming around on TV in the 1970's. 

But when in '44 the Navy painted everything that flew entirely DSB? Zzzzzz...

Carry on with the awesome build!

9 hours ago, Brett M said:

Well, my HGW wet transfers showed up. LOTS to go all over the plane. Hopefully yours did as well, since I can then watch your updates ;)

I'd volunteer to be the trailblazer but my HGW (which is shipping from Europe) didn't arrive yet.  So... after you, my good sir!

I'm still waiting for the HGW wet transfers so I'm just idling around, doing small things here and there.  The black walkway markings need to be added on top of the wings.  Due to the wear I've already implemented in this area, I can't simply mask and paint.  So I'm going to use salt to break up the walkway markings.

First, I mask the areas off with tape.
IMG-6621.jpg

And then I add salt crystals to the areas that have been wet with water.  It's hard to be precise but I try to put more salt in the middle of the walkway, which would result in more paint around the outlines of the walkways.
IMG-6623.jpg

I let this dry thoroughly and then spray not black, but dark grey.
IMG-6626.jpg

Take off the tape and voila... hmmm... can't hardly see it!
IMG-6627.jpg
IMG-6628.jpg

Ok, we'll do a second layer of salt chipping using a darker shade of grey to better contrast with the dark blue.
IMG-6629.jpg
IMG-6630.jpg

That's much better!  Between the first and second salt chipping exercises I added the black stripe across the wing.
IMG-6631.jpg

With that done, I have sealed the camo paint with a coat of Aclad Aqua Gloss.
IMG-6634.jpg
IMG-6635.jpg

Hopefully the HGW transfers get here soon!

Very nice! She's going to be quite the stunner when done. Like Kevin said, the second darker color looks great. 

I'm hoping to get my -1 base painted in black this weekend (minus the cowling, still avoiding the engine :huh:). I also need to build a new antenna blade for the tail. I may have forgotten the tail wasn't glued on and dropped it when I flipped the plane over today. I did hear the antenna hit something, somewhere as it flew off into nothingness......

Even if your transfers aren't there yet, I bet you'll still beat me to applying them! Can't wait to see more.