acresearcher

Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J - Initial Observations

Now that folks have the kit in their hands would it be fair if someone could take some nice clear photos of the frosted turrets?  I know it's not fun to try and take these kinds of pictures as they are hard to do. 

I think that these pictures would be helpful to those who are thinking about the kit as I would bet that mucking about with polishing transparencies is not high on anyones 'List of fun things to do on a Sunday morning'  Has there been any response from HB as to this snafu?  

Not bashin' just askin' :)

Edited by ScanmanDan

16 minutes ago, ScanmanDan said:

Now that folks have the kit in their hands would it be fair if someone could take some nice clear photos of the frosted turrets?  I know it's not fun to try and take these kinds of pictures as they are hard to do. 

I think that these pictures would be helpful to those who are thinking about the kit as I would bet that mucking about with polishing transparencies is not high on anyones 'List of fun things to do on a Sunday morning'  Has there been any response from HB as to this snafu?  

Not bashin' just askin' :)

Can’t be bashin’!!    

As far as the turret problem, it shouldn’t be that hard.   Sand with various grades of ultra fine sandpaper, then go with a liquid scratch remover and finish with a plastic polish. Should then be nice and clear.  Next you’ll need to restore all lost surface detail and apply Archer rivets if nesssary.   I’ve done similar to repair heavily scratched canopies.   Figure 4-5 hours and maybe $30 tops for supplies.   Of course this won’t address any seams.   

Or hope the aftermarket comes through, though the only outfit I’ve ever seen offer decent transparent bits was Hypersonic.   

Or wait for HB to offer up with corrected parts.  

9 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

I like the degree of thought that various modelers are engaged in to bring the wing up to par. yes, I wish that HB had done their due diligence, but we have this kit of the B-24, and for those that intend on one, we must move forward from this point. For those that will not buy one it seems this entire thread is now moot. I made some obsevations of Trumpy/HB kits over the years, and many are reflected here. yes, they have made an entire line of 1/200 ships. Yes, most of them have hull shape errors. easy fix... waterline. yes, they have made entire lines of 1/32 kits. Yes, many of them have errors. The best thing to emerge over time is the identification of these shortcomings, and the various ways modelers have fixed, altered, or modified kits to suit their personal style. Others have just built the kits, and moved on.

The cumulative knowledge on the b-17 is now pretty large I suspect, as each builder has a larger reference base to work from. This will happen with this kit as well. So, let's quite the sniping, and get on with addressing how to improve the appearance of this model kit.

I think the best way to improve the appearance of the kit is to build it, warts and all, do the best job a modeler can do, and admire the work as it really won't look that bad.

DSC04316.jpg

These are the Monogram "J" turrets.  Note that they are clear

DSC04315.jpg

This is the nose turret from the Hobby Boss kit.  It is frosted.  As mentioned with some fine grit sand paper, Brasso, or Cigarette/cigar ashes work great to polish the plastic.  At least it will be clear, seam not withstanding.

It's pretty dramatic when you see the comparison.  1/32nd is quite a bit larger.  I don't know how I am going to build this or where I am going to put it.

4 hours ago, John1 said:

Can’t be bashin’!!    

As far as the turret problem, it shouldn’t be that hard.   Sand with various grades of ultra fine sandpaper, then go with a liquid scratch remover and finish with a plastic polish. Should then be nice and clear.  Next you’ll need to restore all lost surface detail and apply Archer rivets if nesssary.   I’ve done similar to repair heavily scratched canopies.   Figure 4-5 hours and maybe $30 tops for supplies.   Of course this won’t address any seams.   

Or hope the aftermarket comes through, though the only outfit I’ve ever seen offer decent transparent bits was Hypersonic.   

Or wait for HB to offer up with corrected parts.  

4-5 hours of polishing? No thanks. 

I was really looking forward to getting this kit. At this stage unless AM comes along, I’m out. 

5 hours ago, mgunns said:

DSC04316.jpg

These are the Monogram "J" turrets.  Note that they are clear

DSC04315.jpg

This is the nose turret from the Hobby Boss kit.  It is frosted.  As mentioned with some fine grit sand paper, Brasso, or Cigarette/cigar ashes work great to polish the plastic.  At least it will be clear, seam not withstanding.

Exactly and looking at the reflection of the light on it the "frosting" isn't particularly deep.

I don't know why there appears to be this fear or perception that clear plastic is going to take hours and cost a lot of money to fix.

Polishing clear plastic is very straightforward and not too hard.

A good sponge sander set costing a few quid or even cheaper, one of those four sided nail polishing sticks will sort this in about 10 minutes and shouldn't take off enough plastic to need rescribing or rivets replaced.

We used to do this sort of thing all the time with canopy seams and nobody was moaning and asking for aftermarket canopies then.

It's called modelling.

:)

Edited by PhilB

7 hours ago, mgunns said:

I wasn't aware that cigarette ash is used for polishing, but this sounds like a good reason to start smoking as a New Year's resolution :)

Cheers

Alex

Edited by AlexM

2 hours ago, PhilB said:

Just for a further bit of info regarding cleaning up clear plastic/seams etc, here's a topic I did on the subject previously.

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/30048-removing-canopy-seams/

thank you Phil for this link

I had a read and it's good to see it done, rather than just say it can be done

However, I still think this is just not going to work for the turrets simply because we are not dealing with a plain area with a scratch; adding back the ribbing detail is beyond my ability and outside of what I can be bothered to do I am afraid.

Some might call it 'modelling' I grant you.

For me it's just 'not fun'.

But to each his own and thank you again for resurrecting the tutorial - I will surely use that on other builds when I goof up! :)

Local Hobbytown had three on the shelf a few days ago. Stopped in yesterday to kill some time and all three were gone. Fortunately for me, I fall in the "TLAR (that looks about right)" category when it comes to the B-24. Would love to do a PB4Y-1 of either VMD-154 or VMD-254. It won't be perfect or 100% accurate, but it will look cool as s#!t when it's done!