Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J - Initial Observations

acresearcher

Just now, Ryan said:

Do you have a build thread sir?

Ryan

Not yet, working on a solution to the turret issue, I believe I have a plan for fixing it, three plans actually. Im going to do some tests and try it out before I report on it. If nobody offers replacement turret glazings before then, I may make a few extra. 

What really needs to happen, someone like Brassin or Fisher needs to offer whole drop in turrets for these, in both types, as well as a rear, preferably all resin. 

13 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

Already in progress.

60206032-6EBA-43F1-8F48-EEFDF0B2EADC.jpe

I feel a holiday song coming on.....

"Frosty the turret had a very thick cross section."

"With a solid base and two mgs made out of plastic"

"Ohhhh frosty the turret..."

Ok someone help me out here.....

If someone had a spare 1/48 B-24 wing, would it be possible to cut it up for the purpose of making correct(?) airfoil shapes, which could be then cut from plastic sheet and used to 'massage' the HB wing into shape? I'm thinking an internal structure like a balsa model might help with the shape.

4 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Guns outstretched..."I'm the king of the seams!"

Yuk, that was bad.

Yeah, bad. :lol:

Just now, Chek said:

Given the apparent difficulties of consistently casting clear resin to a high enough standard, it seems to me clear vac replacement panels are going to be needed to see any decent degree of interior detail, let alone super-detail.

I know John is not into USAF stuff really, but I recently got a set of his AIMS BF-110G clear resin canopy sets, and the clarity and detail is quite amazing.

Interesting point Lee, I'd be after someone with vac wings to try a mock-up. That approach would either have potential or be ruled out, but we, the modeling community at large could go from there. I'd be curious to see the vac approach to the Davis wing for starters.

2 minutes ago, LSP_Mike said:

Interesting point Lee, I'd be after someone with vac wings to try a mock-up. That approach would either have potential or be ruled out, but we, the modeling community at large could go from there. I'd be curious to see the vac approach to the Davis wing for starters.

Does anyone have one of Tiggers vac B-24s that they wouldn't mine cutting out and moching up one wing?

So far we are going under the assumption that both vac Davis wings are correct?

4 hours ago, Chek said:

I've no dog in this fight, but would not deforming the upper wing to induce a more Davis-like airfoil be a better approach than that? 

I was just proffering a possible solution as I'm more than a little jaded at all the whining.

Have the kit on the way from Hannants, really looking forward to it, said it before, one of my great uncle's flew them with 356 sqn in Burma. Dream kit for me.

There might be this, and this, and this, and this, and even that wrong with it, but I'll build it how I see fit - there will no doubt be am stuff on the way - in the markings of one of the aircraft he flew, which will give me tremendous satisfaction. Bigger picture.