1/24th Scale

Mark P

So, considering the Telford announcement of a 1/24th scale Hellcat...

For years, large scale modelers had to languish through a few poorly researched kits and limited selections overall in 1/32nd scale. I think we can all agree that eventually we observed a significant increase in popularity of 32nd scale models. So, the question is, is 1/24th scale the new 1/32nd scale? Are we going to see an increase of new releases in 1/24th scale?

Discuss...

Mark Proulx

I’d hope so, I’m on a 1/24 kick at the moment. Delighted with the Hellcat news, though to be fair I was likely to get it no matter what it was so long as it was an early jet or Second World War prop. Even more so that it looks like it can have folded wings so you get a big detailed model that doesn’t necessarily demand big display space. I’ll have to check it’s dimensions versus the space on each shelf of my cabinet to see which way I go when I get mine. 

But large details are what my sausage fingers require. I would like more 1/24 stuff but being honest I can’t see it coming close to overtaking 1/32 in kit releases or overtaking what’s already out there. I’ll be happy with a new 1/24 release every few years. If Airfix could see their way to redoing their Spitfires and 109 and the P-51 I’d be delighted as these aren’t overly large aircraft anyway so there’s space for them but in the mean time I am more than happy with the Tamiya late mark Spitfires, CyberHobby 109’s and Tamiya Mustangs. 

I might dabble in a 1/24 car or fire engine and little plastic peeps but doubt if the planes can pull me in.

Have always loved 1/32 since building the Revell Spitfire I and Stuka nearly fifty years ago (and also like 1/48 for the Cold War interceptor gear - and would much prefer these latter in 1/32 too).

The jets are too big for 1/24. But if you're into Spits, Stukas, Hurricanes, Typhoons, Thunderbolts etc then half an inch to the foot does seem a great scale for the detail fanatics, and figure painting less fiddly.

Tony

I would say that yes, we will see more subjects join the hobby tooled in 24th scale - we are an aging demographic - we started out years ago in smaller scales, then we found 1/32 - it is a logical progression  now - besides as we age our eye sight and dexterity deteriorate, so a larger scale would be more appropriate for many of us... 1/24 will allow many of us to continue building as we age and by default allow the manufactures to stay profitable... what unsettles me is that I haven’t really noticed very many younger modelers coming up the same path I/we followed!

Cheers

Alan

I am not scale dogmatic.  It is more about whether I like the kit and the subject, not necessarily in that order.  I am open to buying something because of the kit.  A 1/24 single engine WWII prop is not so unreasonable.  I am inclined to get one since the kit looks great.  Would prefer the same in 1/32 thought.  Would I prefer Tamiya offered this kit in 1/32 yes.  But I am not going to let that stop me.  

We might see more 24 th scale at a slow rate.

But in order to make it interesting they will have to be of subjects not done before.Like the new Hellcat.

No point for Trumpeter to make the Hellcat too anymore.

Edited by Erwin