airscale

1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

18 hours ago, airscale said:

..to me it looks undersized so am just trying to check if there were two versions or if it is just a trick of perspective in the photo of the real cockpit..

back soon

TTFN

Peter

If you look at assembly 102-53028, you'll see why it looks short to you. The first thing to note is the map case is flush with the inside flat part of the longeron and the inside flange of sta 131.5, it is not mounted to the fuselage skin.  Secondly 102-53028-2 is an L shaped sheet that goes behind the map case but is also flush with the inside face, it takes up the space below and behind the map case.

The map case itself is in a pair of channels mounted to the front of that sheet and can actually be lowered about 4-5 inches for some extra storage space behind.

Edited by rtwpsom2

Peter,
Speaking of tricks of perspective; the roll over bar seems to be leaning towards the nose.
Is that throwing your dimensions?

On 9/2/2018 at 6:18 AM, rtwpsom2 said:

If you look at assembly 102-53028, you'll see why it looks short to you. The first thing to note is the map case is flush with the inside flat part of the longeron and the inside flange of sta 131.5, it is not mounted to the fuselage skin.  Secondly 102-53028-2 is an L shaped sheet that goes behind the map case but is also flush with the inside face, it takes up the space below and behind the map case.

The map case itself is in a pair of channels mounted to the front of that sheet and can actually be lowered about 4-5 inches for some extra storage space behind.

well thanks again rtwpsom2 - very useful guidance :)

I have tried to interpret what I see in photo's and the drawings and have now mounted it - hopefully this is near the mark?

WIP257_zpsxeyznpvf.jpg

WIP259_zpscwhxasvc.jpg

WIP258_zpsh7npsqlc.jpg

got a main switchpanel up near the IP to start on next...

TTFN
Peter

2 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

So awesome seeing this unfold before our own eyes.   One of my favorite aircraft coming together one bolt at a time.   Thanks for sharing your talents with us Peter.  

Troy 

Yep, I agree. And he even makes the bolts!!

11 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

So awesome seeing this unfold before our own eyes.   One of my favorite aircraft coming together one bolt at a time.   Thanks for sharing your talents with us Peter.  

Troy 

Thanks folks & thanks Troy - that is exactly how I like to see it - one bolt at a time :)

I have made what is listed as the 'Right Switch Box' - it's this bit here..

WIP261_zpsckfubtnf.jpg

..one of the advantages of making your own PE is that you can pre-think how to render shapes. In this case, the actual switch box is a simple rectangle with holes & details, but the circuit breaker cover plate is a structure i decomposed and 'folded flat' so I could try and fold it up in PE..

WIP260_zpsjq1ghduv.jpg

..with some folds & bends, I have a scale reproduction with all the angles juts right as they are from the drawing of just this part...

WIP262_zpsf05xi12q.jpg

..made a base shape from thick card and assembled the laminate of the switch panel itself. It has a small dial so I added the decal and a sheet of glass to the back structure..

WIP263_zpsnfgmeipc.jpg

..then other components were folded or added and the switch handle made from bits..

WIP264_zpsbzsbmarr.jpg

WIP265_zpskwjzyfi5.jpg

..all sprayed with semi gloss black..

WIP266_zpsjvwmuw3c.jpg

..and with the addition of the custom decals the component is complete..

WIP267_zpsunkdw2pf.jpg

WIP268_zpsvrhumgde.jpg

..and this is where it will sit..

WIP269_zpsj3ooggov.jpg

..more boxes & bobbins to come to carry on with the sidewall..

TTFN

Peter