1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

You make that look sooo easy! With the sides of the scoop you said they were partially glued down (on the outside) and then the rest down once the shape was ascertained? How do you go getting the shape right and then not undoing all your work when you pull it up to get clearance to apply the adhesive underneath?

Always a pleasure :)

Craig

Hi folks :)

On 6/4/2019 at 7:27 AM, brahman104 said:

You make that look sooo easy! With the sides of the scoop you said they were partially glued down (on the outside) and then the rest down once the shape was ascertained? How do you go getting the shape right and then not undoing all your work when you pull it up to get clearance to apply the adhesive underneath?

Always a pleasure :)

Craig

Hi Craig - for those parts, I didn't pull them up again - I fixed down the flat part to the fuselage sides this had the straight edges and rivets already done so it was just about lining it up, the part also had enough 'blank' material to allow it to be folded over the ridge of the shape and be burnished down into shape before being trimmed to fit - all with the part in place..

On 6/4/2019 at 8:24 AM, flarpen said:

This is out if this world. Fantastic work as always.
Are you gunning for another best in show at Telford?

You may have said this already, but what contact cement do you use to apply the metal?

/Johan

Hi Johan - I expect I will try my luck again at Telford, but it won't be this year! The contact cement is a brand called 'Evo-Stick' - full details in this tutorial on how to do it and what to use :)

just a little update this week, as I am in India on business, but as I had a few photo's on my phone, I thought I might put them up :)

..you can see here the big panel behind the main gear bay - this is a fuel tank cover and has an oval hatch at the rear and interestingly a lot of domed screw fixings all the way around it..

WIP799_zpsgjkqp8qs.jpg

..this poses a challenge when making the panel, as all the embossed rivet detail needs to be added and the panel fully finsished, before a final stage which was to emboss the screwws by turning the panel over and pressing down with an awl onto a layer of tape on a sheet of glass - that way the metal gives enough to get a clean dome, but not so much it deforms the panel as I can't burnish it out again or I would lose the dome effect..

WIP800_zps4dc7sest.jpg

..these panels were then added and the central cover made - this was made by making a buck with some semi-circular plastic rod glued to a sheet of perspex and burnishing the metal to accept the shape - the radiussed nose of the shape was filled with CA so it doesn't collapse and then the finished part added..

WIP801_zpsrn07x5ul.jpg

WIP802_zpsofdsopay.jpg

..the central airscoop had been removed to allow the fuel tank cover panels to be fitted, so this was added back. When I marked out the panels on this part, I could see i needed to make corrections - the skin I added to the scoop ages ago did not go back far enough or deep enough down the body of the scoop - you can see whats missing between the panel & the drawn lines..

WIP803_zpsfkii2ty3.jpg

the only way I could come up with was the 'seamless' method I have been using where I add a panel and burnish it up to it's adjacent panel and sand away the lip it forms as it goes up and over the edge of the panel - here the extra has been added and you can see all along the joins there is an overlap..

WIP804_zpsauvvwree.jpg

..this is then treated by sanding away the waste and it is virtually impossible to see the join..

WIP805_zpsuq7wbvrv.jpg

..the last thing I did before I left for India was to start marking out the bottom panel via a tape template - here using cotton thread to make sure the rivet lines correctly follow the contour of the scoop and are straight & vertical when seen from the side.. I hope to be able to pre-rivet the part, but it is going to be tricky to get a good close panel line fit accross three mating sides...

WIP806_zpsuwu2ape9.jpg

..one for when I get back..

TTFN

Peter

Hi folks :)

Back with a little more...

I tried skinning the bottom of the airscoop in one piece, pre-rivetted, but I couldn;t get a good fit.. you can see the gap between the bottom and adjacent panel here..

WIP807_zpsbhgskjwm.jpg

..so I decided to try it in two halves, tring to lose the join line down the middle - here the first half starts to get persuaded into shape..

WIP808_zpsxewatbig.jpg

..and both halves with the skin overlap in the middle..

WIP809_zpsizo8uxuv.jpg

..after sanding the join out, the rear of the panel is cut to shape and the waste peeled off..

WIP810_zps5tpu5muq.jpg

..and with some rivet details added..

WIP811_zpswr10u38c.jpg

..moving backwards, two panels have been added, including one around the oil cooler outlet and a further one is waiting to be stuck down - the intention is to get all the base metalwork down and then sand, shape & refine before cutting out panels for doors etc and riveting in situ..

WIP812_zpsk2uox0xh.jpg

..looking to lose another couple of seams, an infill panel between two outboard ones is ready to be stuck down..

WIP813_zpsrouxjojf.jpg

..and now this area is ready to move on to the detail stage..

WIP814_zps6ahlcdy6.jpg

WIP817_zpsypnqiwyf.jpg

WIP816_zpsmbcvwdw9.jpg

WIP815_zpsfzaz6utq.jpg

until next time :)

TTFN
Peter