HK Lancaster.

Phartycr0c

All I'll add to this build is AM barrels and Graham's DB and trolley............

That's my more or less my plain too, no doubt I'll get tempted by some other shiny new *must have* aftermarket and blow the whole project out of proportion.  :mental:

NOT KIT NEWS, I'm sorry to say in case anyone's excitement levels peaked (or were piqued, even). But I found this in an email newsletter and thought it may be of interest to those awaiting and planning for the day when HKM's kit materialises. 

It's a pretty comprehensive build log of the Hachette Partworks 1/32 Lancaster kit (you get a component or two with each monthly copy of the magazine). I've only got to page ten of a 64 page article, but so far it includes some very worthwhile reference photos, which are always handy to have.

Edited by Chek
Link to article borked during forum upgrade

The hachette kit is actually not bad, its a tricky build but fun , my biggest gripe with it that actually just completely turns me off owning one( built one for someone) is poor material choice, i HATE grainy wood to replicate metal parts such as formers and no matter how hard you try to hide it, it still looks like grainy wood

Ok................ you guys knew this was going to happen sooner or later.............................. stupid question time.......................... now , I have done my best to keep up, but event the best of us lose track sometimes...... correct me and point me in the right direction................... I have checked out all the links to this incredible kit, and I was under the impression, and I don't know why, but weren't these guys trying to do the 'stressed skin' or 'canning' of the skin on this kit , or was I dreaming,............... from what I have seen on the few links of the previews, this kit looks as though maybe they decided not to go that route, or is the stressing so subtle it doesn't show? It isn't a game changer or a show stopper, I was just wondering, as I thought I remembered some very spirited and detailed conversation about that....no matter what, it is going to be awesome......my hat is off to them for even thinking of a project of this magnitude......I was just curious, as I really don't want to lose my mind.......LOL

Jeff, the outer skin to the kit has not been completed yet. The build reviews you have seen so far as test examples, which do not have the intended production exterior details added yet.

HTH. You haven't lost your mind :-)

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Test shots often don't have finished surface detail like rivets, panel lines, or stressed skin. No point spending the time or money to perfect molds they may not use. They run a few sets of major components and check for fitment issues, then post them on the internet so people can tell them the window is .03mm too far aft. Then those molds get modified or scrapped - you'll likely not see the final finished surface until whole test kits go out to reviewers.

Thanks guys, that was kind what I had in the back............ wwwaaaayyyy back in my mind...so I was correct in assuming they are considering the stressed skin idea, then.................... cool.... it just seemed as it was a real big topic when the kit was first mentioned and then no one was talking about it, I would think that would be a very big deal,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, either way, it is going to be something to behold......thanks Dennis, I'm glad I still have all my marbles, AND they are all in the same bag ! 

• 2 months later...

Some more photographs of the highly anticipated Lanc seem to have broken cover on the HK modellers Facebook page. 

The detail is exquisite although as can be seen from the thread, it is still not quite able to please 100% of modellers due to lack of "oilcanning" which was apparently requested. 

From my own point of view, from the images i can see congratulations to neil and the team are in order, Im sure this release will sell out almost instantly. 

Edited by Phartycr0c

1 hour ago, mozart said:

It's frankly unbelievable that we're lucky enough to have a 1/32 Lanc shortly and yet a minority are bitching about the lack of a stressed skin effect! And they've not even seen it in the flesh yet. Strewth! 

There's the ID Models/Tigger vacform that those who are unhappy with the HK version can build. I wonder what they'd have to say about the 'surface detail' on that kit? It's time to thank our lucky stars, I say... :)