1/32 Fiat RS.14

AlexM

Thanks guys

That's pretty awesome. I'm still very impressed by the vac formed clear nose you were able to achieve... flawless!

Craig

I tried to improve the plug. First I gave it a coat of Mr. Surfacer 1000 and sanded it smooth to get rid of some imperfections. Then it was dipped several times into "Future" to give the plug a shiny surface.

Unfortunately, the transparent vacuform part now sticked so much on the plug, that I couldn't remove it without damaging the clear part. To prevent damage to the original plug, I made a resin copy of the plug. Nevertheless, I couldn't pull the clear nose from the resin plug after vacuforming. After some try and error, I finally put the resin plug after vacuforming into the freezer, et voila: The plug could be easily removed :frantic:  I can just assume that the resin plug shrinks more than the clear part when frozen.

q1d3KWb.jpg

I still have to make a nose with a thicker clear material, to geht a better junction between the nose and fuselage.

9x4q4JL.jpg

Question to the vacuform experts: I clear styrene suitable for vacuum forming? Until now, I use PET, but maybe styrene could be better glued, and puttied/sanded at the junction between the nose and fuselage?

Cheers

Alex

Thank you gents.

The interior framing got a first coat of Mr.Surfacer. I made a new nose with 1mm PET sheet. The forward frame of the fuselage is 0,5 mm smaller than the outer surface. Now after vacuforming, the nose has about the right thicknes to fit well on the fuselage.

GKJeDfN.png

JC9InXh.jpg

Cheers

Alex