1/32 Tamiya F4U-1D!

wrbrdmech

What a great informative thread with some good research photography ... totally unexpected release by Tamiya and I'm in for one at least.

So, we have three Spitfires, three Corsairs now, surely the next release in the future from Tamiya will be something really new ... its almost fun to wonder what that might be ... whatever it is I'm buying at least one.

Life is good.

That is probably the attitude we all should take to this sort of thing. 

We (fündekals) have some more Corsairs coming, including FAA and RNZAF...

While it's good to see that aftermarket companies take an interest in WWII RNZAF Pacific Corsairs, I have yet to see any accurate "Pacific" Roundels especially in the correct colours.

The colours seem to range from a baby blue to electric blue, and always faded, Would be Ok (depending on colour) on any of the remaning Corsairs at Rukuhia in the late 1950's, early 1960's, that had been sitting in the sun for 20 odd years.

Interestingly I have a colour photo of a very faded Roundel on the wing of an ex RNZAF Corsair, and none of these faded decals look nothing like it.........

The other issue is, that these markings on the Starboard upper and Port lower Roundels are not the same as the others......... Do you know what I am talking about?

Look forward to your comments?

Alan

While it's good to see that aftermarket companies take an interest in WWII RNZAF Pacific Corsairs, I have yet to see any accurate "Pacific" Roundels especially in the correct colours.

The colours seem to range from a baby blue to electric blue, and always faded, Would be Ok (depending on colour) on any of the remaning Corsairs at Rukuhia in the late 1950's, early 1960's, that had been sitting in the sun for 20 odd years.

Interestingly I have a colour photo of a very faded Roundel on the wing of an ex RNZAF Corsair, and none of these faded decals look nothing like it.........

The other issue is, that these markings on the Starboard upper and Port lower Roundels are not the same as the others......... Do you know what I am talking about?

Look forward to your comments?

Alan

Yup, everyone seems to be different. Montex has a set of masks for it.

SpitfiresCORSAIRSBoston051.jpg

Edit: here :)

Edited by Martinnfb

I'm not seeing anything different in the wings of this kit compared to the -1A, that would lead to believe it's an FAA clipped wing in the -1D photos.

Brad

Um...   so is it just me, or does this photo show a wing sprue with the RN style clipped tip?  It has the RN style nav light, and I don't see any reason for them to have done this otherwise.

The wing tip was a seperate piece that isn't shown in the pix.

I think the hardest part of making a British corsair is converting the cockpit to have the stick on the other side.:whistle:

Uh oh.... I think I spotted an oopsie. The inboard flap shouldn't have a step it. I don't think that was added until the -4 production but am not entirely sure. Anyway, Tamiya gives you a flap with the step closed so removing it is easy-peezy.

Correct, but it is good for a restored warbird. Or a post war Corsair, the step was retroverted to many earlier build Corsairs still flying,

The photo I posted shows the FAA style wing tip molded in place.  You can see the cutout for the nav light.  So they've tooled an entirely new set of outer wings in order to do the FAA bird.  Yippeeee!!!!!

The way the wing tip ends on this kit is no different than the previous release. There is an end cap. The changes to the wing are the landing light insert and the rocket stubs,