1/32 Tamiya F4U-1D!

wrbrdmech

cool..but was hoping for something new new from tamiya..granted they havent made this version...but oh well.

Guys, most likely as Doog alluded to, this is a stop gap release that was designed when the -1A was. Check out Doogs editorial on his site:

https://doogsmodels.com/

While I don't agree with everything he has stated, especially with regards to a 1/32 P-47 release, he has some very interesting theories. 

Honestly, one way or the other I just glad it's not another Me109, Fw190, or Spitfire.  :mental: 

Joel

Looks like they nailed it to me with that wing....nice

Kev, that is a different circular access panel in the wing, not the one for the lamp. It is 1 or (2?) rib bays out from that rectangular panel. I think that rectangular panel is for wing tie down isnt it?

I'm just going by what Dana said, here. Me, I have no clue what's what, but I trust Dana.

Time for the after market decal folks to get some stuff in the works........

If they do some RNZAF Pacific roundels, I hope they don't screw up the colours like last time!!

Perhaps they will ask some of we Kiwi's who know more about it, than some SAGE (Self Appointed Guru Expert)

who gave them the wrong info........ :mental:

Regards

Alan

You are right Kev, Dana's the man! I better get my book out and brush up on later 'D' variants. Hopefully he will chime in from time to time and give us some tips for this big beast?

Alan, so true mate, that light blue has been tiresome to see! Just like the red edging to the P-40 Pacific Theatre stripes LOL! I think more and more spraying them yourself in this scale is the way to go

one more 75 and another example of the fabric wing

F4U-1D_Corsair_F-107_of_VMF-224_flown_by

It's a Corsair, Jim.... but not as we know it.

This particular plane has been mis-attributed by Tamiya- of all people- as being an F4U-1D. It is not. It is some kind of -1A version but what isn't clear is who built it. Cherry Point NC was a training base that used F3As, FG-1As as well as reconditioned F4U-1As. Definitely something of a mystery.

-d-

Edited by David Hansen

To me disappointing News from Tamiya. Not really an new thing to your bin. Just some new HVARs, slightly different canopy and other small stuff. Sadly Tamiya missed the chance to release a really new kit to enlarge the existing portfolio.

Edited by Urs

If they do this for the corsair...surely they could redo and retool their F-15C?  Make sure the panel lines are all correct, rivet it all out like the GWH, redo the exhaust petals, redo parts of the landing gear, new markings, MOD Eagle MSIP improvements...such potential.  Something for a two-seater version of their F-16 or a way to back date them to most of the various models, blocks, etc.

To me while this is not as exciting to some as others, it was a necessary step in their 1/32 product line, The Tamiya corsair universe in 1/32 really needs that 1d to fill out the WWII lineup as pointed out in Doogs blog. Would I have preferred a new P-40, P-51B or something like that yes. But this is was you and I are getting. Eventually we will get something else.

I too am underwhelmed by this release. I was hoping for the FAA release. Oh well, not like I don't have enough kits in the stash. Heck, I'm still trying to figure out what scheme to do my -1A.

Brad

There's a lot more than just a clipped wing and nav light for an FAA -1A/-D:

Small fuselage intakes just aft of the roundel to cool off the British radio

An exhaust vent underneath the belly forward of the tail wheel well

Whip Antenna, and IFF Antenna

Brad

Guest The Southern Bandit

What a great informative thread with some good research photography ... totally unexpected release by Tamiya and I'm in for one at least.

So, we have three Spitfires, three Corsairs now, surely the next release in the future from Tamiya will be something really new ... its almost fun to wonder what that might be ... whatever it is I'm buying at least one.

Life is good.