Italeri RAAF Mirage IIIO. FINISHED

ericg

"OX-BOX-BOWYANGS-BOAT" ..... Mirage pilot Mantra No1

Emerg ground egress training day:

"There I was".... strapped in the jet in the hanger helmet on mask on as if to luft....though seat pins fitted

Hangar floor covered in rubber Gym mats.

Task: demonstrate Emergency egress in minimum time. .... pinch of p....

"Bang" on the fuselage as the timing starts.

CANOPY open

BOX ... Done

BOWYANGS ....gone

Stand up

BOAT .... DISCO

Launch over side

Phark!!!!..... forgot OXY

Now on Gym mat head connected to seat by super stretched OXY hose...survived near death experience .... Death by Hanging

Mates rolling on floor laughing.

Solution .... Dont forget Step 1 ..... OX

Mental note to self: "OX-BOX-BOWYANGS-BOAT-OX-BOX-BOWYANGS-BOAT-OX-BOX-BOWYANGS-BOAT"

Edit : Replace Hanger with Hangar ....thanks tanker wallah ...... knew I should have done Staff college :)

Edited by TTail

Hi TTail, 

I follow this thread not just for the fantastic modelling skills but also for the "pull up a sand bag and I'll tell you my war stories" tales of yours and Bricks exploits during your service in the A.A.F.

We in the R.A.F. use hangars to service our aircraft in not hangers which we use to hang our uniforms on :rolleyes: or is this an Aussie thing like the Yanks incorrect use of English spellings.

Bob (ex R.A.F. rigger)

The time came to get the Instrument panel into resin. I had taken it as far as I could with all of the individual components and needed to see how it was going to look as a one part resin piece. This is the most complex part that I have ever tried to make a copy of and it needed to be done properly the first time. With the amount of undercuts behind the wiring and switches etc and the thinness of some of the parts, it was going to be inevitable that the master may be damaged in some way as it was being pulled out of the silicone mould. If I messed up the process at all and damaged the master getting it out of a flawed mould, then It may have been impossible to recover it.

I made a casting block from modelling clay, with consideration to how the part will be pulled from the mould and the path the resin will take to reach the extremities of the piece.

IMG_3950_zpss0qlxsmk.jpg

Making a small box.

IMG_3951_zpsusqtu4bg.jpg

Some of the equipment used.

IMG_3952_zps2l2yfjfw.jpg

There is just enough working time once the silicone is degassed and poured on the mould to swish it around to help dislodge any bubbles that may have formed.

IMG_3953_zpsouxmhhun.jpg

Whilst the silicone is still flexible some bubbles will rise to the surface. By degassing it, there are far fewer bubbles which can be seen by the very smooth surface of the silicone. (this is a beautiful sight!!)

IMG_3956_zpsqjqlmw8j.jpg

After leaving the silicone to set for an hour, I removed the master. It had a small amount of damage done to it, as evidenced by some of the wiring being pulled away. I was then able to pour some easycast resin into the mould. After a small amount of time, under 55PSI of pressure, the resulting part has came out nicely. Notice the small bubble that has formed under the gunsight. This was easily removed by a flick of a number 11 blade. Quite happy so far. Notice that every detail has been captured by the silicone... flaws and all. I consider this new resin part to be the 1st draft, and it will become a master part once I have fixed it up a bit.

IMG_3961_zpsqug4mz3d.jpg

The coaming came out nicely, with only a small piece of silicone that was ripped from the mould when I removed the master (the small chunk of resin under the  large wire on the left). This is actually a good thing, as I will carve the chunk to give support to the wiring, meaning that the subsequent master part will not have that undercut anymore.

IMG_3962_zpsne8oiymi.jpg