Italeri RAAF Mirage IIIO. FINISHED

ericg

Eric, could you list the products you use for this, I assume you are getting them from Barnes in Brissy.

Jason.

Hi Jason,

I use Pinkysil silicone and Easycast resin. I colour my resin with grey pigment added to part B. I do get it from Barnes in Brisbane.

Eric.

Eric

wow ... just fantastic.

I'm in for the panel if you make them available.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter.

I am still considering whether I will sell these or not. I am sure the pros will be along soon enough with better panels for sale somewhere.

Very nice!!!

How is the nose fit on the new kit? Since they modified the front fuselage for the E, I'm hoping they fixed the fit of the radome.

Hi Dave,

The nose fit is still crappy. Not sure how they messed this up! It is only a few minutes to fix though.

Eric.

Sean's Mirage was equipped with the OM6 ejection seat when he flew it. The kit seat features a mix of both the Mk4 and 6, which I guess would look OK if done out of the box. I like to do things a little different with my builds and as of yet, have not done a resin seat. I figured now would be a good time to start so I have set about making an OM6. I really want to feature the seat belts `dressed', Ie: as if the ground crew have stowed the belts out of the way for the pilot to get in and out of the seat without getting tangled up. This is a feature that I have not seen in a resin seat so far and I am determined make it happen.

I removed the entire top half of the kit seat and grafted on half of another resin seat which was reshaped in preparation for further refinement. I then sculpted some cushions from modellers clay. As can be seen, the top parts of the cushion have been positioned to accept the shoulder harnesses which will be draped over the top of the seat frame. At this stage, I will do a little more work on tidying up the clay before making a copy of this part in resin to allow refinement, before adding further details and the belts which will then allow me to make further copies of the completed master.  May come in handy for Mirages that I have in the future.

IMG_4005_zpsa3bjxmp8.jpg

Now that I have the Instrument panel and cockpit sides finished, I poured a set for myself and set about fitting them. 

I recently aquired an excellent Proxxon mini vice, which is suited for holding small parts and positioning them to allow for work at odd angles. 

IMG_4008_zpspeqmzfsi.jpg

The casting blocks were easy enough to remove with a careful cut of the razor saw (and lets face it, if I messed it up, a replacement part was only a few minutes away....)

IMG_4009_zpstbvygi34.jpg

The panel is a drop in replacement of the kit panel.

IMG_4013_zpsrogf8r9o.jpg

IMG_4014_zpsmgkp2xzm.jpg

IMG_4015_zpspcyo7nj8.jpg

IMG_4018_zps2evquep8.jpg

I then test fitted the sides

IMG_4019_zpskwuurnlq.jpg

IMG_4020_zpsn9gqzmh6.jpg

Now this minor deviation from the build is done, I can get on with the serious part of assembling the kit!