Tamiya F-15C Kicked Up A Notch- Dec 1/17: DONE!

chuck540z3

I love tuning in to this :) it is like a guide to building Gold Medal models - every step has such a high standard and is set out with such clarity it must become THE reference for each of the airframes you build..

I know people say it, but you really should produce books - a softback, or even ebook  'Building Tamiya's F15' would be a hot seller I am sure

simply wonderful stuff Chuck, thank you

Peter

Gents,

Thank you all for your very kind comments.  As an Old Dog who doesn't frequent social media sights like Facebook, etc. (or learn new tricks!), I have only recently discovered the "Like" button a few months ago, so hopefully you guys are receiving same from me right now, because I truly do like and appreciate your comments.  I always read every single feedback post and I am honored that my work has for some reason motivated you to craft a response, which helps motivates me to carry on.  Anybody who claims that they don't like  "Attaboy" responses is a liar.  I love them all, and I'm not afraid to say so.  :D

Model on Boys,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Guest Peterpools

Chuck

Just came up for some much needed oxygen ... what an update. It just never fails to amaze me how you can transpose the details from photographs to the model and then document the work so clearly.  I've read the update twice and need to start incorporating some of your 'easier techniques" into my bag of tricks, as most I will surely never learn how to do.

I've been following your work for years now and am never amazed at your research and attention to detail. What truly is amazing: every update is a tutorial,  carefully explaining how to accomplish the work at hand plus your photography documents each step perfectly and you know me when it comes to photography ....

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thank you all again!

Feb 1/17

I finally got my left arm out of its sling after six weeks and although it still doesn't work very well yet, I can now Paint!  This is particularly important at this stage of the build, because I need to paint intakes and engine bits before I close up the large upper and lower fuselage halves.

Before I show you the intakes, let's take a look again at the real deal- and I have another tip or two.  First the intake on the starboard side:

Engine%20front2.jpg

A little deeper.  Note the dirt in the intake and that needle-like probe at the front of the fan.

Engine%20front3.jpg

As shown earlier, I filled the front lip of the intake with Tamiya putty and a bit of CA glue, then sanded it smooth.  This took several hours over the course of 3 days!  The reason is that I wanted the join to be as blemish free as possible and it took several tries to do so.  Although this looks a little rough, it is actually very smooth as you shall soon see.

Intake%20Fit14B.jpg

Now a tip.  Although Tamiya putty can be sanded quite smooth, it often has a bit of a gritty and porous surface, depending on how much you apply at once, the age of the putty and the sanding grit you use.  After a first coat of putty has dried for a day, I sand it as smooth as possible, then fill the small cracks and blemishes with a second coat of thinned putty.  Based upon smell and how well it mixes together, I am quite certain that the carrier in the putty is Tamiya's own lacquer thinner, so I mix 2/3's putty and 1/3 thinner in a jar.

Tamiya%20Thin%20Putty.jpg

Applied with a microbrush, it will fill those little blemishes perfectly and can be applied very thin, to minimize further sanding.  It also shrinks like crazy due to the extra thinner, so apply about double what you think you need and let it dry for 24 hours.

After sanding it smooth and giving it a coat of paint, the gaps disappear.  The front intakes were painted glued onto the lower fuselage, but with the rear of the intakes left off to allow air flow through the pipes- and keep the rear intakes white.  Note the overspray to the rear of the intakes.

Enginepaint1.jpg

Smooth as a baby's bum….

Enginepaint2.jpg

Since the rear of the intakes are white already and at least 6 inches away from your eye (in the dark), I just added some Tamiya pastels to dirty them up a little.  While the above intake pics are quite dirty, other F-15C reference pics show that they can be quite a bit cleaner, so I didn't want to overdo it.

Enginepaint3.jpg

For the front fan face, I used the kit parts and added a sewing pin to the top to replicate the front probe.

Enginepaint4.jpg

A close-up.  The parts were painted with Tamiya gloss black lacquer, followed by Alclad Steel.

Enginepaint5.jpg

Installed on the rear of the intakes which are now screwed into place, they look pretty good- even without a flashlight!

Enginepaint6.jpg

Enginepaint7.jpg

Now the rear.  First, here's some pics of the real deal supplied publicly by the USAF.  Note in this first pic that the flame tube can be white or sometimes an off-white buff color, as shown on the left.

Enginepaint8.jpg

A close-up.  Note that the central dome is both rough and a bit rust colored.

Enginepaint9.jpg

On another jet, the same thing…

Enginepaint10.jpg

Here is the rear of the flame tubes where the fan/flameholders are inserted.  The tubes were painted with flat white, followed by a bit of flat black, but only at the front, which is the rear of the tube.  The fan/flameholders were also painted with Alclad Steel.

Enginepaint11.jpg

A shot from the rear with everything glued into place.  Unfortunately, taking pics of this angle is really hard to do and a lot of the detail gets washed out with enough light to see inside, like the black at the rear.  The central resin hub is a bit rough and I was going to sand it, but I found it more interesting left as is with some Tamiya heat red pastels to give it a bit of a rust color, just like the real deal.

Enginepaint12.jpg

Enginepaint13.jpg

With the engine nozzles attached, it will be hard to see the sidewalls, but I plan to darken those 2 rings with pastels later.

Enginepaint14.jpg

A little housekeeping before I forget.  I painted the top of the front intakes and the lower gun assembly on the left with flat black before I glue on the top fuselage.

Enginepaint15.jpg

The reason is that with the new resin vents, you can see through them now, so looking at a white resin intake would look a bit weird underneath.  I will also add some fine mesh screening to the back of that gun vent on the left before I glue everything together.

Enginepaint16.jpg

That's it for now boys (and at least 1 girl!).

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Chuck

You're ruining my ability to use words. How do I adequately respond to the things you do? You.. Peter.. Peter (AS)..WOLFE..Et Al...I mean really. Is all this goodness really necessary? Good lord dude.Ugh.

Glad your feeling better.

Geoff