the stash

Sgt Shultz II

1) How big is your stash?

2) Why do you have it?

3) What determines your selections for your stash or the next model you want to actually build?

4) How does price figure into your selections?

5) How many "stash" kits have you actually built?

1. Not sure. The 1/48 Bf 109's are numerous. I have half a dozen on coffe table in various stages of construction.

I have two Dragon Ju 88 and three Ju 188, also in that scale. Are they LSP? They do look big. Speaking of Bf 109's there are one each of Revells and Trumpeters latest releases. I will get to them when i finish my Hase Bf 109K-4 kit. That is not much, given i started last year, but i feel i got almost my hands full.

2. When i got my AB and compressor there was no need for me no to.

3.A cool Scheme, a cheap model on eBay etc.

4. Quality costs money. Good thing i all ready bought most of what i want.

5. Hm. Four.

2) Why do you have it?

3) What determines your selections for your stash or the next model you want to actually build?

1) I do not count them but maybe around 100.

2) Darned if I know, I think it is some kind of collecting mania. I need help.

3) Current interests, Right now it is WW1 but if I see a kit at a very low price or if one I have wanted for a long time becomes available I'll swoop down and pick it up.

4) Price is critical only when my income is low. Then I start selling off goodies from my stash I am no longer interested in to raise money.

5) I have had a stash since 1963. Some I built, some just gathered dust for 30-40 years until I sold them, a few oldies I still have.

:shrug:

Stephen

2) Why do you have it?

1.) Probably about 100 kits (not including figure sets).

2.) Stuff that at first I "HAD TO HAVE," but now can't get rid of without taking a bath on the price.

3.) I try to add NOTHING to the stash, and only purchase models I want to build soon. I also get some review samples I have to build after doing an "in box" review.

4.) I try never to purchase a brand-new kit as you will pay list price.

5.) I build stuff in the stash all the time. I purchased three Tamiya Phantom kits 2 years ago, then got on a Phantom kick because of the "Air War in VN" group build. I recently purchased Gary's F-4B conversion and am building an F-4E in Israeli service.

Edited by Bill Cross

1) It's pretty big, i dont know exactly how many kits. I'd say about 100 kits, 99% being 1/32 aircraft. I've also a big bunch of AM resin, PE and decals.

2) I buy kits when i want to buy it and when i have enough money do to it. I try to buy limited production kits when they are still available (WNW, Special hobby, various resin productions, and so on....).

3) I have periods, sometimes i want to buy jets, sometimes i want to buy japanese aircraft, sometimes racers, sometimes US 30's aircraft, sometimes WW1... And for the choice of which kit i will start, it's really on a whim. I have to say that sometimes i change my mind only a few days after opening the box.... I consider a kit really started only when i've started to paint something.

4) I usually dont really care price when i really want something, as long as the price is reasonnable. However i dont like to pay more than what it costs, so when the same kit is available from different sellers with a pretty large price difference, i go to the cheaper.

5) all the kits i've built come from my stash ! So about 15 models. I have to say that in the same time needed for me to build a kit, i can buy several other kits that go to the stash !

Great topic!! I have 25-30 kits in the stash. Would like to purge that back to 15-20. The answers for the next three aren't cut and dry, can change one day to the next. Seems the new kit/stash kit build ratio is about even. Honestly, not really buying a lot of kits anymore, Resin and aftermarket decals, now that's a different story......

Don

2) Why do you have it?

1. 9 1/32 props that I can think of (3 WIPs), and 10 or so other scales and subjects, like some sci-fi, cars, armor, etc. I used to keep a stash of 40-50, but sold most of it off when I realized that I had a lot of cash tied up in stuff I would never build in my lifetime. Worked out well for me, because companies like Trumpy and others started making better kits after that anyway.

2. To build them.

3. Price and likelihood of actually building it determine whether it goes in the stash. I decide what to build next based on - a. Availability of good reference info, b. Inspiration from books, films, or people, or c. Whether I feel my modelling skills are up to the task. I've put off kits for years because I needed to get more experience in order to do it justice.

4. Heavily. I have paid less than 50 bucks for every kit I've ever owned, except for one - the Trumpy P-38, for which I paid 70. That is my favorite plane of all time, and I waited 10 years after it came out to buy it so the price would go down to where I thought I wasn't getting ripped off. I'm a lot more likely to pay a tidy sum for good aftermarket stuff from a small company than I am for mass produced plastic. I know the small guys have to put a lot of skilled hands-on work into making them, so I feel that they deserve to be compensated for that hard work.

5. I have 6 LSPs and maybe 10-15 other kits in various scales and subjects built, most of which are stored away because of lack of space to display. However, I have built well over 100 kits in my lifetime, maybe 150, including a number of very large scale balsa planes. Most of them went the way of the firecracker over the years, or "crashed" while suspended from fishing line above my bed when my mom would shake the blanket and forget they were there! I don't blow them up or hang them above the bed anymore. I don't think my wife would appreciate that, though my 10 year old son would be all over the blowing up part!

Tim

1) How big is your stash?  ..................... Over 100 and I won't tell you any more for fear of incriminating myself!

2) Why do you have it? .............. I've become more mentally unstable over the years!

3) What determines your selections for your stash or the next model you want to actually build?..........  The next big thing that takes my fancyl!

4) How does price figure into your selections? ............not at all, as I said, I've become more mentally unstable due to the advance of years and I'm now incapable of rational thought anymore!

5) How many "stash" kits have you actually built? ................not enough, because I keep buying more which I want to build before the others!

A sad and sorry tale of a lost soul wandering amidst cartons of models hoping for redemption but never truly finding it! 

Happy Days!!!  :doh: 

2) Why do you have it?

5) How many "stash" kits have you actually built?a) (try hard to keep it around this number)

1)  100-115 LSP (10 Non-LSP aircraft; 5 tanks)

2)  Why?  Represent model builder's life of posibilities. Freedom to choose one to build from the many.

3)  Selection: Propellers, WnW kits; Luftwaffe; US; British; Japanese; Russian; overall importance in the history of aviation; prototypes; a few jets

4)  Price - Moderate concern but I really have no other vices (golf, golf trips, cars, scotch collections, cigars...)  $150 is ususally the limit.

5)  Around 15 in process (not binned yet), three done over the years. 

2) Why do you have it?

1. Too large to finish in my lifetime, so I intend to be reincarnated and resume the task.

2. Why not?

3. Passion for any particular subject, will make me seek out a kit, whether it makes sense or not.

4. If I have the desire and the cash, it's mine. Besides, I actually enjoy cheeseballs for dinner weeks at a time.

5. Since the beginning of my hoarding illness? About 30.

2) Why do you have it?

1) fifty LSP, most untouched as new (and now in shipping boxes on standby), plus maybe twenty smaller scale.

2) retail therapy whilst recovering from a nervous breakdown

3) reading about the real thing and getting styrene lust

4) increasingly. A good OOB kit not requiring much AM is winning more points these days. Stashing AM is a hideously expensive past-time.

5) three jets underway along with some 1/72 tiddlers to keep me out of mischief, to be joined by a couple of vacforms very soon.

I now have a build, sell or junk philosophy - fifty is my ceiling.

Tony

2) Why do you have it?

1) 133 kits according to scalemates, but there's a lot of stuff (mostly gundam/sci-fi kits) I still have to add. So I think I'm between 150 and 180 kits. 25 of those are LSP's

2) Why not? :thumbsup:  Multiple reasons actually: I like to have a lot of choice, looking at the kits get's me excited to build them, I can't say no to a good deal, I WANT MORE STUFF!, ...

3) Interesting subject and/or interesting kit and the desire to actually build it. I've grown a lot more selective recently. Mostly looking for kits that go together without to much fuss or need for aftermarket stuff. I just wanna have fun building them! I'm mostly doing 'skill-building' kits right now. I pick my next one based on what I feel like building, sometimes it's easy, sometimes I can't make up my mind, sometimes I change my mind after I've already started. (Hello shelf of doom, here's another one. :blush: )

4) Always on the lookout for deals. If I had payed full price for every kit I own I'd probably be having serious financial problems... (HK B-17 comes to mind)

5) Depends... Since my return to modeling, none as of yet but one is nearing completion. Other than that I have about 10 finished kits from "the earlier days".

Having so many kits is kind of a double edged sword though. It's nice to have a big selection but there's so many kits I really want to build! I'm now forcing myself to finish something before I start something new, we'll see where that goes.

@Shoggz: Something tells me you like spitfires :P

2) Why do you have it?

1) 40 lsp kits and 7 1/48

2) some where bargains so i could not recist of buy those the other ones must build those nice plane.

3)I have to like the plane before i buy it,the net model mmmm i dondt know just start the kit that i like.

4) price is importent so i look second hand kits some kits are from the shop.

5) about 14

Mark

1) This was it a couple of years ago:

46a20611426f72c0d99c341e0e3c253b.jpg

It has probably increased by about 30 additional kits since then, mostly LSPs.

2) Because my wallet is (was?) bigger than my modelling schedule. I would see something that I might have a passing interest in and would therefore pick it up. My available build time has shrunk though, especially now that I'm married with 2 boys.

3) Not really sure, whatever piques my interest I guess. That being said, I have been a bit more selective with my recent additions.

4) I take price into consideration (especially now) but if it's something that is going to be either really hard and/or expensive to get in the future, then I will try and make it possible. 

5) Most of my most recently completed builds have been from the stash. The F-4D in the Double Trouble being the only recent addition to be worked on.

Carl