What would you scratchbuild, if you could?

wunwinglow

For me, it would undoubtedly be either a 1:16 scale Fokker D.VII or Dr.I. Neither (to the best of my knowledge) has been done as an injection kit in this scale, and they'd be large enough to add gobs of detail to.

However, I think the odds of my actually doing either, is roughly the same as my getting hit by a comet.

I have a few aircraft that I have always wanted to model in 1:32. I was bitten by the modeling bug very early, about 7 or 8. And I grew up on a naval base, China Lake, and saw these wonderful jets flying everyday. Even saw the XB-70 fly overhead once.

So many new kits in the last few years but there will always be that special plane that no one will ever produce. So what is my holy grail?? A2D Skyshark! I think that if I think long enough, and buy enough bondo and sandpaper I might be able to modify a Skyraider.

Extra added bonus the worlds only surviving Skyshark sits on the tarmac about 10 miles from where I live. I hope to someday be able to photograph the beast and use the info for my build.

Dan

No rules, Tony! Whatever lights your fire! Of course, I expect to be seeing some Sukhoi parts on your workbench shortly....

Tim

Awaiting basics from Tigger and can then compare parts with Dutik's photocopies. Then need to think about creating frames and how to plagiarise Trumpeter's MiG-21 engine hot section (twice!)

Need to pick your brains on designing etch for a very limited two- or three-run.

Wondering if Lee will overtake me on the Flagon and what we might share, in time. I envy his courage in tackling F-111 - something he started a while back - and your Flying Start effort which, of course, will be a real kit.

Tony

P.s. Still owe you a couple of unmade jets (Scooter F and Hun D).

Some of the suggestions here are already available as vacform. That would be a great boost scratchbuilding your holy grail. On LSP there are plenty of topics showing how relatively easy it is to scratchbuild an aircraft type. Using card Models this is saldo a very useful way.

Mine would be the hampden and whitley. I already started by scratchbuilding tailplanes of both to 1/32. The Whitley is stalled due lack of usable info on the fuselage. The Hampden I am still waiting for Tigger to repair/ correct the moulds.

Cheers

Cees

So, if time, money, skill, materials etc were no object, what aircraft would you scratchbuild, and in what scale? In other words, something you REALLY would love to model, but realise it will probably never appear as a conventional kit.

I've just ordered a couple of donor kits for a long term project, goodness only knows when I'll get around to doing it, but I will. one day!! Its a Canadair CL215, which I can't think will ever appear as a kit.

169491-11185-63.jpg?nr=304&company=helle

Tim

I'd second that choice Tim - I want one of these in HAF colours. Too many choices for me to pick from, but as I already have a few planned or started, I will most likely attempt to complete them, although having said that, I will start on a scratch built Saab J-35 Draken and J-37 Viggen this year for certain.

Derek

My holy grail, the C-130J. It wouldn't have to be big, in fact a really good small one would please me just as much!

IMGP0220_zps0qqwkwhc.jpg

Jen.

Great choice Jen - I would love to tackle this things in 1/32 scale (some appropriate size tubing - or drain pipe - would help me start one!). I picked up a copy of the Verliden C-130 Lock On publication from Telford last year for that purpose. The other thing that I would seriously consider scratch building, again, if I could find the correct diameter tubing (90.5mm OD to be precise) is this:

192584.jpg

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Hmmm, a 1/24 scale E.E Lightning would be mighty nice and a 1/32 scale Gloster Javelin would finish off the pair nicely for me!

After I'd finished those..... a 1/32 Avro Vulcan.................................NO ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!    :fight:  :innocent:   :lol:

There is always this Roy:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=23018&hl=%2Bfirst+%2Bimpression+%2Breview

Lightning002.jpg

Lightning008.jpg

Lightning018.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

6.jpg

Not really scratchbuilt, but it will still take an awful lot of those skills to complete it.

Derek

Edited by Derek B