New 1/32 Tempest - master photos

Jan_K

Totally agree with Alan and Bryan. I too have the kit, and its NOT a POS by any means. it is exactly as Alan describes, a good kit OOB with some patience, and has the ability to get turned into anything you want, including the basis for a super detailed build. 

Im not sure what Paul did during the build, but I have test fit the whole kit, and for the price its not a bad value at all. I also have 2 of the PCM Hurries, and they fit similarly, although with no alighment pins, the kits take a bit of planning and patience to build.

No kit is perfect, and the PCM Tempest is actually a great kit IMHO, and as evident by many builds including Alans above, it can be turned into a real stunner.

Ken, When I bought this kit and the price I paid for it I expected much more qualty  in the product then I got not only did I have warped wings and fuseage but HEtLL I've had more detail on the old Arura kits I used to built as a kid. YES KEN TO BLOW MY OWN HORN I AM A HELL OF A MODEL BUILDER given enough time I CAN make a turd shine like a new penny. :innocent:

Paul

PS I have since bought and built two more of those pieces of crap NOW that I know what to expect

When I think of a POS kit, the PCM Tempest is not anywhere NEAR the likes of the Trumpy Mig-15, or the Battle Axe D VIII both of which almost got stored in the circular file.

I cant recall a time in my life ever that I purchased something, railed about how much of a POS it was, then turned around and bought two more. Kind of more than a tad contradictory if the kit is as much of a horrible value as you seem to think it was.

At some point we need to add a 'dislike' button!!!!

Paul,

Ken (PCM) has brought us some exotic aircraft subjects to our scale and for that I am extremely happy! The PCM kits are pretty neat, they have helped me become a more patient modeler and to learn new techniques and to expand my inventory of skills.... I am saddened that you refer to them as you do... But, that's you right I guess.... Just not something I would do on a public forum. I have asked Ken a few times for replacement parts and I've even offered to pay for them... each time the (free - yes, no charge to me the customer!!) parts showed up via post with a note thanking me for buying their product and wishing me much enjoyment with my kit(s).... That is customer service!!!

On that note, I will be purchasing one of the upcoming MPM Tempest kits as I really want to build the Tempest Mk II - radial engine version!

I wish everybody lots of enjoyment and satisfaction with their Tempest kits.... :) come to think of it, I will be getting one more PCM Tempest kit too!!

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alaninaustria

Well, seems that lot's of folks out there like the PCM kit, as I found it Out Of Stock. With the build I saw in person (well built at the Seattle show) and what I see in the box here, a very nice kit. The price is right, and Customer service (if needed) top notch.

Like to get the Mk.II as well, but still glad someone made a 1/32 Tempest!

Right folks - lets cool it eh?

Paul - would be appreciated if you could rein in the hyperbole a little please.

Iain

And cut the caps lock please. You can express your disapointment, even with some 'flowery' wording, but yelling it might be over the top ...

Hubert

And cut the caps lock please. You can express your disapointment, even with some 'flowery' wording, but yelling it might be over the top ...

Hubert

Agreed. Some basic attention to grammar and punctuation would facilitate proper communication as well.

I've purchased most of the PCM kits over the years, and I must say I'm very happy to have them. Thanks to PCM for producing many subjects not otherwise available in 1/32 scale.

If you have defective parts, then by all mean request replacements. But isolated parts defects do not make a kit 'crap'.

Hi Guys,

Changing the subject ever so slightly, I got an email advert from PCM last night saying they are considering doing another run of their Tempest. So that's my Christmas money all gone then!

Yes, it's a difficult kit but it has it's good points. Excellent resin and etch and decals, great support from Ken Lawrence. So it suffers from a lack of location points? So what? It's like driving prior to GPS, you still got there in the end.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

I have the PCM Hurricane and Tempest kits both ... 

I thought at the time that they were a little pricey for what I was getting - but in the cold light of day the pricing is about on par with anything else of that quality and scale RRP wise ... given that they are limited run kits - more cost per item would be built into the pricing point. The fact that they are of subjects that (until the point that they were released) were the ONLY kits in those subjects (in 1/32 of course!) has to count for a decent percentage of sales though.

They aren't perfect ... but they are by no means rubbish either ...

It will be interesting to see the two kits compared side by side in quality, engineering and price once the new Tempest is out.

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

I have no connection to Ken Lawrence or PCM, but PCM is one of my favourite model companies. They have given us 1/32 scale kits that needed to be done and were ignored by the big guys, including some head-scratchers that I thought would be massive sellers like the Spitfire IX and XIV, and the Hurricane. I always thought the Spit IX was a stroke of genius for them, especially the timing. No, it's not in the same class as the Tamiya kit but it makes into a beautiful and accurate model that was much less intimidating (for me) than the super-kit. Everything you need comes in the box; resin, photo-etch, superb decals (with interesting subjects) and good instructions. The interesting choices even made me venture outside my usual interests and I ended up buying Italian aircraft. The Tempest is another winner for me, and something I had wanted for a long time. Would love to see them do a P-51B/C and steal the thunder from someone. It may not be perfect but it would be a far sight better than Trumpeter's effort. I can dream.

The MPM group is in the same class for me. Perhaps a bigger enterprise but they also do unusual subjects. I'm looking forward to seeing their Tempest and will buy one too.

I'm very happy with my PCM Tempest.

Richard