New 1/32 Tempest - master photos

Jan_K

From what I can see, It looks like someone got a bit crazy with the rivet machine ...

I dunno ... from what I can see they look fairly restrained - compared to some recent releases anyway ... such as the Revell Spitfire. I reckon after priming and painting it could come out alright :)

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

Not trying to be critical, but this 'every last rivet' detail is too much in my opinion.....starting to remind me of the raised rivet and panel line craze from past decades, but in reverse..... I just don't see it as that realistic....see example below.....

imagejpg1_zps08f07e12.jpg

Joe66

The rivets look to me like they are equally subtle to Tamiya's latest releases.

It is a quandary for me.  I think 1/32 scale models look better and more interesting with rivet detail included, but I fully acknowledge that any molded in rivets on a 1/32 scale model are going to be pretty grossly over scale.  It's like the picture of the Typhoon above...on the actual aircraft the rivets are never very prominent.

But the same is true of panel lines....and I would hate to buy a kit without those.

It's pretty subtle - I was deliberately trying to catch the light to over-emphasize them so that they could be seen.

I liked the look of it and I can't abide overdone surface details.

Others' mileage will vary  ;)

Iain

IMHO, there are lots of things that people just expect plastic models to have. Even though on full size aircraft rivets and panels can hardly be seen, wouldn't a model be awfully bland with no detail, even though it would be more accurate? Models would look like the wooden desktop display models then. No surface detail, just painted. I'm not saying to put rivets where there are none, like, IIRC, the old Airfix F4U-1 is covered in them. On models, people expect D-Day invasion stripes to be perfect, yet we would be more accurate hand painting them with a brush. The Frankenstein Monster wasn't intended to have a pale green complexion, but most times he is seen that way, just because the make-up was so he would have a pale skin color in b & w film, but.... Certain details are what people expect to see whether accurate or not. My 2 cents.

All of the above is certainly true. Everyone expects some sort of surface detail. And I'm not saying that's wrong, just that sometimes it seems to get carried away ! Iain, glad to hear that it is actually quite subtle. Raised or recessed, it wouldn't stop me from buying it either way.

It's like changing colors on figures to better represent shadows and highlights....has to be done to some degree or the finished piece looks washed out and terribly boring !

All in all it comes down to personal taste and how each of us decides to deal with the final finish. In the end, I'm just glad that 1/32 scale is getting so many new and interesting models to choose from !

Joe66

Guest Paul Budzik

I very much disagree with some of these remarks...

Not a great argument...Well I like rivets, so that's good for me. Or people expect it so let's just cover the airframe.  Let's just make up reality...sort of like CG reality...only now that IS becoming reality for many.  The Tempest was EXTREMELY clean.  Cleanliness is the notable characteristic of the Tempest.  Take a good look at the Tempest wing and tell me you see a bunch of rivet holes.  If you're just going to make stuff up because you like it, well then you're well on your way to fantasy modeling and then there is no point in complaining about any other turn that a manufacturer takes.

Exactly why I put these two videos up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVIH5DcQ9I8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4nmntc1jZI

Paul

Edited by Paul Budzik

I very much disagree with some of these remarks...

Not a great argument...Well I like rivets, so that's good for me. Or people expect it so let's just cover the airframe.  Let's just make up reality...sort of like CG reality...only now that IS becoming reality for many.  The Tempest was EXTREMELY clean.  Cleanliness is the notable characteristic of the Tempest.  Take a good look at the Tempest wing and tell me you see a bunch of rivet holes.  If you're just going to make stuff up because you like it, well then you're well on your way to fantasy modeling and then there is no point in complaining about any other turn that a manufacturer takes.

Exactly why I put these two videos up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVIH5DcQ9I8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4nmntc1jZI

Paul

Paul,

Was the Tempest wing filled and sanded, or just very precisely and cleanly flush riveted?  I honestly have no idea.

I looked at all the sources I could find that offered decent close-ups of the Tempest wing...surprisingly difficult to find.

It appears to me that the wing had visible rivets, in other words they were not filled and sanded.  But the rivets are sufficiently flush and subtle that any attempt to model them in 1/32 scale is going to be pretty grossly over-scale....like most of us assumed.  The rivets are one of those things that are not even visible unless you basically have a close-up of the wing, pretty much like every other WWII fighter other than aircraft like the Wildcat.

But we all knew that I guess, so it is back to the same old rivets vs no rivets, modeling "reality" vs what we like debate.

Edited by Bryan

Hi guys

Does anyone know when the mk2 will be available? Thats 2 kits now that I've seen now that are in development that have got me drooling a mk2 tempest and a spiteful in 1/32 ,will be raiding the piggybank for sure Loll

Ian