New 1/32 Tempest - master photos

Jan_K

Agreed.

I would not say I am angry at all...but frustrated and disappointed (fine line perhaps) because of exactly the reasons articulated by Artful69.  The kit looked like it would be the "be all end all" Tempest kit, and the Tempest is perhaps my favorite aircraft, and indeed while not terrible the PCM kit is lacking in some ways (although still pretty darn good).

I could certainly understand reasonable delays...but when there are multiple misquotes of release dates...and the estimates are off by years at best....I don't think that falls into the "stuff happens" category.  I see that as a manufacturer being disrespectful of potential customers.

I initially figured I was being a bit impatient, but again, we are talking years.  Life is short and patience only goes so far.

I think both Tempests were announced 12/2012, if I see the right article.

I think they are 2 reasons (pure speculation) why they postponed the kit.

- they didn't expect PCM to make the same model at the same time. So they decided to wait until the PCM is sold out

- and they are also decided to use the time to  make state of the art shortrun, to be significantly better than PCM. 

This could have PCM owners  to buy  another Tempest from SH. To be honest, I have seen some details and I believe the kit is well worth some waiting.

- they didn't expect PCM to make the same model at the same time. So they decided to wait until the PCM is sold out

- and they are also decided to use the time to make state of the art shortrun, to be significantly better than PCM.

This could have PCM owners to buy another Tempest from SH. To be honest, I have seen some details and I believe the kit is well worth some waiting.

Jan ...

Both are good and valid points ... I'm not saying they are right or wrong ... But what I am saying is that the end result was detrimental to customer perception.

For example: you are working on a project ... A competitor who has been working on a similar project announces imminent release ...

If your project is still nowhere near completion but you have test/display items to show ... You can either go ahead and announce your item and expected release date while remembering the customer service satisfaction mantra of "under-promise, over-deliver". This ensures that, if anything, your product will be delivered EARLIER than any expected deadline by the public ... Earning more credibility.

The other option is ... Delay the announcement until such time as you deem that your product is ready to enter the market NOW.

Ok ... So what happens if you make the mistake of taking the first option but then you realize you cannot deliver on your promise on time - AND can't accurately forcast when that will happen??? ... Simple!! - remove the promise altogether! ... i.e. Announce that due to unforeseen circumstances the promised project has been cancelled and while you hope that it may be revisited in the future, there are no guarantees. This way disappointment is minimized and everyone moves on ...

What they actually did was ... Keep resetting their promise!! ... And each time they did that, more and more customers lost confidence when the promises weren't fulfilled ... kind of like "The boy who cried 'Wolf!'".

I hope the kit does make it out!! ... I hope it still does well ... But you have to be able to understand why you are seeing the "Bronx jeer" type reactions on any further announcements.

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

Yep ... got into 'yawn' territory a long time ago ... Ken must be LHAO! ... Something not too many of us will enjoy!

Greetings!

I thought it went "When you laugh, the whole world laughs with you!". I based my statements about their announcements on their track record and my personal experience with them. At the time,many people agreed with me and now I suggest that you just keep watching to see what, if anything, happens with these "kits". Our policy is that when a new PCM kit goes into production, we announce it and not before then. It seems to me that all kit makers should have the same policy, but they don't. This results in bad feeling towards them.

Best Regards,

Ken

PCM, Inc.

Greetings!

I thought it went "When you laugh, the whole world laughs with you!". I based my statements about their announcements on their track record and my personal experience with them. At the time,many people agreed with me and now I suggest that you just keep watching to see what, if anything, happens with these "kits". Our policy is that when a new PCM kit goes into production, we announce it and not before then. It seems to me that all kit makers should have the same policy, but they don't. This results in bad feeling towards them.

Best Regards,

Ken

PCM, Inc.

lol Ken :D ... I thought it was "He who laughs last, laughs loudest" ... I'm well aware of best practice in the customer sales & service arena ... it formed the bulk of my KPI's for near on 15 years ...

1st rule of thumb "There's always room for customer perception improvement - there's always something more that you can do" ... unfortunately nearly all retailers forget this one and their business suffers because of it ... Although I can think of a few off the top of my head that seem to be doing well with it ... 

We can all learn ... when we say "we know" - that's the time we are most likely to have no idea!

Another update http://www.mpmkits.net/2014/10/tempest-132-postup-praci-ii.html Please do not crucify me... it is just a hobby. :)

Jan ...

I don't want you to get the idea that we are shooting the messenger - you seem like a pleasant chap ... And no one, to my knowledge, has called for your crucifixion ... They are nice pictures - but they are not plastic in our hands (or resin).

Some of us have explained - quite thoroughly - why we are a little disenchanted with "progress" announcements ...

Announce a completed kit, however - and we are all ears!

- and they are also decided to use the time to make state of the art shortrun, to be significantly better than PCM.

This could have PCM owners to buy another Tempest from SH. To be honest, I have seen some details and I believe the kit is well worth some waiting.

I have to agree. I think it was a business decision to hold off while PCM kit sales were still high. There isn't a big enough market to support sales of both kits at the same time. I would much rather they take the time to improve the masters. I didn't buy a PCM kit cause I feel certain the SH will be a better product from the pictures of the masters we've been fortunate enough to see online during development. What does it matter if the dates keep slipping as long as work continues to improve the product? Last time I checked I had PLENTY of kits in my stash to build. Until then I'll patiently wait for a model of one of my favorite Hawker fighters.

Shane

I became almost bored waiting five years for the Trumpeter A-6 Intruder (a factor which has diminished the appetite of some for that kit).

Curiously, however, the relatively small delay with the SH Tempests is massively increasing my interest in the subject. I'll only buy the Mk V, but will really look forward to it.

Tony