1:32 F-90 Superstar

Dandiego

Alright a little more progress. I was going to post these pictures yesterday before the "outage".

First a new seat from Harold. Out of the goodness of his heart he sent it to me. Super cool. Thanks Harold.DSCN3299_zpsbnm8qxdt.jpg

As you can see the second intake is done. Mostly done, always going to be a few more tweeks. Oh yeah and a coat of primer over the entire fuselage. Starting to look pretty pretty cool.

DSCN3300_zpscaj1rn00.jpg

Working on the complex and subtle curves on the aft end. Also the exhaust area needs some delicate work as well.

DSCN3301_zpssdmjpajy.jpg

A little blurry but a detail added to the vertical tail. The prototype was supposed to have a feature where the tail angled back at high speed, so the step I have introduced represents this feature. Never actually saw the tail angled back in any photos though.

DSCN3302_zps0ph71aij.jpg

Thats all, Dan

Dan,

Thanks for explaining the detail added to the tail.  Sounds like another idea that just didn't pan out.

I just re-read my post and it not what I intended for it to imply. By "didn't pan out", I was referring to the designers of the real aircraft, certainly not your scratching building, which I find amazing to say the least.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Actually, the variable incidence tail was used on the Lockheed JetStar, and it worked quite well.

The tail didn't start moving until the plane was moving pretty fast, so aside from it being dialed into a "nose up" position for landing, it probably wasn't too often that you would see it out of place.

-d-

Did some work on the bleed air vents on the top of the intakes. First mark them out.

DSCN3303_zpsyhofg47k.jpg

Cut out the opening with a dremel cutting wheel.

DSCN3304_zpsrfoq34qt.jpg

Cut out an insert and open up the vents.

DSCN3305_zpsihruhy3e.jpg

Glue it in place.

DSCN3306_zpse8dmdgry.jpg

Repeat for other side. Putty and sand.

DSCN3307_zpsb8gmdjwi.jpg

Thats all, Dan

I think i personally like this thread so much because it looks like something that's maybe within my reach some day if i keep honing the skills.

Not to say I'd ever have the guts to try to start with flat stock and end up with a 3d rendition of something, but somehow i can relate to it.

Maybe. I dont mean to imply your work is within my reach, but i love this build.

Bill

Edited by Citadelgrad

I think i personally like this thread so much because it looks like something that's maybe within my reach some day if i keep honing the skills.

Not to say I'd ever have the guts to try to start with flat stock and end up with a 3d rendition of something, but somehow i can relate to it.

Maybe. I dont mean to imply your work is within my reach, but i love this build.

Bill

I can't speak for Dan, Bill, but, all I can say is you'll never know if you can do it until you try. I always thought the hardest part was just making the decision to try.

Bill

Bill, it is a little overwhelming when you look at the whole project.Do what I did, start small. I started down this path by doing conversions to existing kits. My first scratch built attempt was really crappy. My second was pretty good. This is my third full scratch project.

Pick an easy subject, gather some references, cut plastic.

Dan

Had the day off from work 😆

Worked on the wings, stabilizers, and wing tanks. Pictures to follow soon.

All through this build I thought that the horizontal tailplanes looked wrong. However the shape I transferred front the drawings matched up perfectly. Lightbulb...the drawings were wrong. The wings and tail surfaces should both be 35° but my drawing for the tail showed 45°. Once corrected the overall shape of the plane seems right.

Also after 4 months working on this only today did I realize that the rudder is split into a top portion and a bottom. Good to know before I work on the rudder.

Dan

A few photos of the lower wings being built and attached. Side walls for the gear bay and a piece of square stock for rigidity.

DSCN3308_zpsofo2yadn.jpg

The gap between the wing halves will slot over the keel.

DSCN3309_zpsvooxwcc4.jpg

Lots of square stock added to the ribs and spine to increase gluing surface.

DSCN3310_zpsd0molspb.jpg

Lined up and ready for clamping..

.DSCN3311_zpsxr97yb8f.jpg

Ye Olde wood clamp....

DSCN3315_zps4vht9yun.jpg

Later, Dan