1:32 F-90 Superstar

Dandiego

Lee, sounds like we have similar modeling interests. Something a little off the beaten track.

Building the F-90 has been and continues to be both fun and challenging. It is also slow going. Instead of gluing 2 wing halves together and adding it to a fuselage, I have to research the wing, design the wing, make drawings, fabricate parts, sand and shape the parts, figure out how to attach the wing, scribe and rivet. But I really enjoy the whole process. I have been building models for 50 plus years and this is what gets my juices flowing.

I am already looking forward to my next project. I currently am interested in " Paper projects" from the 50's and 60's and am looking to build something big and super cool.

Not sure what it will be but this current project is a great learning experience. Looking to take the next step.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

Yes, "Off the beaten path" sums up pretty well the kind of planes I like to build. I have a Fi-167, XF-103, Short Seamew, SE-2415, and YA-9A, along with the Vigilante, F-111, Mirage IV and Demon, all in 1/32, in various stages of completion on my bench. Gotta love the weird stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, actually Lee there has been progress.

I've been working on small easy stuff but eventually I need to make real progress.

I have begun skinning the fuselage but I can only go so far until I run into a problem. I can't skin the entire fuselage until 3 things happen. 1. Finish the cockpit. 2. Figure out how I am going to install the intakes. 3. Build and install the wings.

So I am working on the wings. I have cut out blanks for the wing bottoms but have to figure out a support system for the main landing gear. And before I do that I have to figure out how to make them.

One thing relies on another which relies on another. Lots of thinking going on. I should post a few pictures in a day or so.

The flip side of all of these small problems is that when I do figure out a solution to any of these issues progress will quickly be made in other areas.

Stay tuned, Dan

Skinning the beast.... I am using thinner strips this time around. Make it easier to go around the curves.

DSCN3265_zpsua6pyytr.jpg

Looks crude at this time. Lots of gaps and steps between strips. Liberal use of CA as a filler between strips.

DSCN3264_zpsngxqyuyu.jpg

Wing bottoms have been cut out.

DSCN3266_zpsvv4miek8.jpg

Bondo time!!

DSCN3267_zpstgyc6wnl.jpg

Rattle can primer to get a quick idea how everything is progressing.

DSCN3268_zps6igmhtnh.jpg

Working on the wings next...

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

That's looking very good, Dan.

Still wondering how you'll do the intakes, though.

Cheers

Rainer

Rainer this one is for you...

Ok in the first photo I have cut out a cardstock that will fit the inside dimensions of the intake and have then bent it to conform to the intake.

DSCN3271_zpsa1tx6kke.jpg

Here is where it goes. Sorry a little blurry.

DSCN3273_zpstfd5p3qn.jpg

Insert the cardstock into the opening. Don't make it conforn exactly, I have made it a little big so that it will spring out a little and fill the space.

DSCN3274_zpswuw2m60w.jpg

And there it sits. This is just a quick dry install. When I do this for real the insert will be plastic and pre-painted.

DSCN3275_zps6u5wee3x.jpg

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progress....

I have continued with skinning the forward section. I have had to shorten the cockpit opening as the F-80 cockpit was too long. I have also cut out and added the cockpit rim so that I have something to glue the sidewalls too.DSCN3277_zpssjydjpxr.jpg

DSCN3278_zpshz8cehfg.jpg

The canopy is from an F-104 project that ended badly. I don't know if this will be my final solution to the windscreen but it is close.

DSCN3276_zpspmequtxy.jpg

Anyway progress continues ...slowly.

Dan

Dan,

I just read through your entire scatch building effort for a F90; an aircraft I had no idea even existed. I'm completely in awe of your skills, and your temperment. Your decision to reboot once you discovered those major errors, and to bring it past the original stage is just amazing to someone like me whose basically OOB builder with a few enhancements added at best.

Looking foward to following your build to it's conclusion.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Uhm...."prehistoric"?

Im going to school here, and seriously considering quitting the hobby and taking up something else....

Seriously, if we are going to call your methods prehistoric, we need to remember the T Rex is prehistoric but completely cool in every possible way.

I will watch this to the end.

Amazing. Gutsy. Well executed. Fearless.

And humbling, i might add.

Edited by Citadelgrad

Dan,

I just read through your entire scatch building effort for a F90; an aircraft I had no idea even existed. I'm completely in awe of your skills, and your temperment. Your decision to reboot once you discovered those major errors, and to bring it past the original stage is just amazing to someone like me whose basically OOB builder with a few enhancements added at best.

Looking foward to following your build to it's conclusion.

Joel

Thanks Joel. I was a builder just like you describe yourself a few years back. I just decided that I wanted to build aircraft for which there was no kit.

I'm with Joel ... super work.

Jim

Thanks Jim.

Uhm...."prehistoric"?

Im going to school here, and seriously considering quitting the hobby and taking up something else....

Seriously, if we are going to call your methods prehistoric, we need to remember the T Rex is prehistoric but completely cool in every possible way.

I will watch this to the end.

Amazing. Gutsy. Well executed. Fearless.

And humbling, i might add.

Prehistoric when I look at my work compared to many others Citadelgrad. My full speed ahead approach isn't always pretty.

Dan