1:32 F-90 Superstar

Dandiego

Guest Uncle Fester

This is an impressive undertaking and I'm envious.   A 1/32 F-90 would never have been kitted, I don't believe, except maybe as a vac.  But even then. 

The methodology is clearly sound, as you've demonstrated.  From my own past experience, getting from blueprint to actual 3D tangible object isn't always that easy.  Those little nooks and crannies, the wifferills, the little sumb*tches that make you want to toss it at the wall...been there. 

The first attempt was admirable.  I was in absolute envy of the results and the impromptu "tutorials" on how to fix things when they went wrong.  It's been both fascinating and educational.  I think try #2 is going to go more quickly and with a result that's going to make you smile more. 

Thanks for sharing all your ideas and efforts.  Keep plugging away and soon you'll have a "silver surfer" of a plane, I should think.

UF

Edited by Uncle Fester

Great going, Dan, you won't regret it. I think the splitting of the formers and putting them on the spine is best, I did it with my now-stalled F3H Demon. When you put the outside stringers on, you'll be surprised how strong it is.   :punk:  :punk:  :punk:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=49525&hl=demon

This is an impressive undertaking and I'm envious.   A 1/32 F-90 would never have been kitted, I don't believe, except maybe as a vac.  But even then. 

The methodology is clearly sound, as you've demonstrated.  From my own past experience, getting from blueprint to actual 3D tangible object isn't always that easy.  Those little nooks and crannies, the wifferills, the little sumb*tches that make you want to toss it at the wall...been there. 

The first attempt was admirable.  I was in absolute envy of the results and the impromptu "tutorials" on how to fix things when they went wrong.  It's been both fascinating and educational.  I think try #2 is going to go more quickly and with a result that's going to make you smile more. 

Thanks for sharing all your ideas and efforts.  Keep plugging away and soon you'll have a "silver surfer" of a plane, I should think.

UF

Uncle, I agree with you on several points.

Never going to be kitted.

Going from drawing to model is not straightforward. Even with some good drawings there are always some things that are "lost in translation". I am unsure how everything will come together where the cockpit and intakes come together.

Version 2 is already progressing better than the first.

Thanks for your comments.

Dan

Great going, Dan, you won't regret it. I think the splitting of the formers and putting them on the spine is best, I did it with my now-stalled F3H Demon. When you put the outside stringers on, you'll be surprised how strong it is.   :punk:  :punk:  :punk:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=49525&hl=demon

A Demon?!

Wow. I went back a read your wip. Many correlations with my build. I read in there that you have a scratch built Vigilante in progress, one of my holy grails. What ever happened to that project?

Dan

A Demon?!

Wow. I went back a read your wip. Many correlations with my build. I read in there that you have a scratch built Vigilante in progress, one of my holy grails. What ever happened to that project?

Dan

Hi Dan,

My Vigi project is stalled at the 70% point- I started it as an experiment, to see how far I could go without using my vac rig in a scratch build. My major mistake was not planking enough, filling voids with resin... So it weighs a ton and a half. Ridiculous as it sounds, my lack of foresight in this regard pretty much turned me off to the project, so, it languishes. I have plans for it, so it might make a re-appearance here on LSP.

EDIT: Here is the Vigilante thread. If you'll notice, I had to do this one twice, too, like your XF-90. Sometimes you just gotta do it.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=27947

Edited by Lee White

Progress continues....

First I have added new exhaust tubes. They are the tubes that my airbrush needles came in. They were the exact size I needed. The tire represents the end of the engine, it actually works quite well.

DSCN3249_zpsiitnxbpw.jpg

Next. cut the nose off of the original and graft it onto the new.

DSCN3247_zpsas8xlxqr.jpg

Add more ribs and formers.

DSCN3248_zpsggilnwao.jpg

And last for now, cut and install a backing plate that will form the inside of the intake.

DSCN3250_zpsffn8fu4s.jpg

Thats all for now.

Dan

A little more work.

I have re-installed the cockpit. I had to shave down the sides of the consoles in order for the outside skin to fit.

DSCN3251_zpszkcjhqyg.jpg

DSCN3252_zpsaubjptl6.jpg

And a little work on the exhaust shroud. Going about it a little different than the last time. Thin sheet bent to shape and glued in place. Lots of clamping. Will shape it to final look when it is dry.

DSCN3253_zpsrkfbvsyt.jpg

DSCN3254_zpsvfjz2aml.jpg

DSCN3255_zpsuibrdgcp.jpg

Ok see you next year.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

A little more work.

I needed to box in the main landing gear wells, so here they are.

DSCN3257_zpsgzeebiri.jpg

They are actually too wide here. I will narrow them in a bit. Also the speed brake wells are also in progress.

DSCN3259_zpssw2gpl8k.jpg

Now to thicken up the tail. 2 laminations of 60 thou card, glued and clamped.

DSCN3260_zpsj0ar68id.jpg

Shaped and sanded. I have created a slot to hold a 60 thou stiffener to glue the stabilizors to.

DSCN3261_zps05qikibf.jpg

Next up.... finding a way to attach the wings...

Dan