Thoughts about Possible Future Kotare Releases - NOT a wishlist

MikeC

I intended this as a post on the "109K reveal" thread, but as I developed my thoughts :hmmm: I realised it could be a bit off-topic, so here it is in its very own thread, which will not be a wishlisting thread, will it? :coolio:

I wonder if Kotare will continue a trend we have seen with WNW (iirc) and have already seen with the first two Spitfires.  This is that in the Allied aircraft, there is included at least one decal option with a Commonwealth (particularly NZ) or US connection.  I wonder if that will be a continuing trend with Kotare and whether it will be a factor (but clearly not the only factor) influencing choice of Allied types going forward?  Indeed, there are some types where they could go the whole hog, and include at least one RNZAF decal option.

Assuming that they are unlikely to cover the Corsair - already been ably covered by Tamiya, of course - there is the P-40 which was flown by the RNZAF.  Or the RAF's "Article XV" Squadrons; or NZ/US/Australian/etc pilots with other Squadrons, which leads me to think of subjects such as more Spitfires (take my money please), Brewster Buffaloes (I believe there were NZ pilots flying them with the RAF in the Far East, but lots of other colourful options available), etc etc.  And an option in a T-6 kit for one of those nice colourful post-war RNZAF Harvards would be good too (yes, there is a Kittyhawk kit, which as we know has its issues  even if available).  Maybe, in due course and if they expand into the jet age, an A-4 or a JP/Strikemaster (both flown by the RNZAF as well as others).

OK, this is still speculation, but I've tried to reason from known facts rather than simply pluck types out of the air, even though I have been guilty of that in the past.  I know those mentioned have already been kitted somewhere in 1/32, but F4U-1A/D aside I think a modern Kotare treatment of the P-40 for example would be amazing.   But rather than stick my neck out and say "these are my predictions", I'll just keep an eye on it and see if that is the direction of travel as far as Allied WWII types are concerned.

What do you think?

PS: No wishlisting please. :please:

A T-6/Harvard would make absolutely perfect sense Mike because it was the favoured next step for elementary to service flying training, so was as ubiquitous in many areas as the Tiger Moth. Most of course will be the later Mks, the II, III and IV but I’d really like to see a Mk I (edging dangerously close to wish list territory…..sorry!)

I hope they consider making a Hurricane Mk.I next to compliment their Spitfire series. With quite a few different marking options available because of the vast areas of operations that they took part in.

Obviously with a few famous NZ pilots that flew the Hurricane, i feel it could be a very popular kit

I am going to shy away from the “historical sense” angle for a moment. It seems to be bundled with personal preference. The combination leads us to the wish list.  

Business angle from what we speculate from observation:

— not a twin engine as the $ for tooling is out of reach at this stage of the life of the Business.

— The kit will fit in the same or very similar size box.  

— it will be a aircraft known to the broader range of customers.  History plays a role but we have not much idea/information about what Kotare has in their minds.

— Kotare will not chase ZM

— no jets 

— Knowing who the consultants are could narrow down the list.  This is hard to know. Lynn Ritker (sp) was suggested to be involved with the 109K.  If true will the next kit be early Jumo 109s? Radu worked with Revell on the P-51D but he could not say anything obviously.  Is he with ZM right now? 

— Anyone seen measuring airplanes.

— Kotare crew will have their personal likes but, they keep this to themselves.

— the model will not have an engine.  
— the cost will be in the same range.

— they will choose not done, poorly done or old in the tooth subjects. 
— keep with 1/32 scale 

Edited by Rick Griewski
Clarify scale

Great idea putting no wishlisting! 
Similar to what Rick has said and I mentioned in other post.

Id say they’ll have a NZ angle but the subject will be just as important 

On consideration I don’t think They’ll do 1/48 as main subjects are well covered by Eduard, Tamiya etc. 

Think they will mainly stick with Ww2

Imagine they’ll do a Hurricane (early) Fw190 (a6) maybe early 109, Stuka.

They could also do an early p-51, Corsair, P-40 Early Zero or another Japanese type. I don’t think Tamiyas Corsair can be beaten but could make an argument for doing a more simplified P-51d or early Zero. 

Honestly don’t know where they will branch out. Might not be ww2 - could be inter - war or ww1 or even a jet or racing car

But I don’t think they can take too many risks to start with or it will be a very short run venture. Picking early Spit was a good move. 

Edited by Pup7309

22 minutes ago, Rick Griewski said:

I am going to shy away from the “historical sense” angle for a moment. It seems to be bundled with personal preference. The combination leads us to the wish list.  

Business angle from what we speculate from observation:

— not a twin engine as the $ for tooling is out of reach at this stage of the life of the Business.

— The kit will fit in the same or very similar size box.  

— it will be a aircraft known to the broader range of customers.  History plays a role but we have not much idea/information about what Kotare has in their minds.

— Kotare will not chase ZM

— no jets 

— Knowing who the consultants are could narrow down the list.  This is hard to know. Lynn Ritker (sp) was suggested to be involved with the 109K.  If true will the next kit be early Jumo 109s? Radu worked with Revell on the P-51D but he could not say anything obviously.  Is he with ZM right now? 

— Anyone seen measuring airplanes.

— Kotare crew will have their personal likes but, they keep this to themselves.

— the model will not have an engine.  
— the cost will be in the same range.

— they will choose not done, poorly done or old in the tooth subjects. 

Based on the criteria that you've listed , do you think a Lysander would fit the "bill' so to speak ? Quite a few NZ pilots flew them .

OK now I propose the significant hint about the next kit

The first two kits sold for $109.  Third kit was a Bf-109.  So… if the 109K sells for $109 then the next will continue the variant.  If the price is say $147 then the next kit will be the French Poltez P-147.  :rofl:

Oops if the price is $163 then Potez 163.

Edited by Rick Griewski
Wrong Potez variant

It's impossible for this thread to become anything but a wish list.   That being said, the only takeaway I can offer from the subjects Kotare has released so far is that they are not going to make the mistake that WNW did and go for obscure subjects that are picked because they please the owner (and the Lysander  (and even the T-6) falls squarely into that category).   They are focused on the "cool" subjects that are going to sell.  Think about the 32nd product line that Revell offered up back in the early 70's.   That's what I expect from Kotare moving forward.   

Just now, John1 said:

It's impossible for this thread to become anything but a wish list.  

Doesn't have to be, just needs people to stay on topic :coolio:

The rest if your post makes a good point, but I do wonder, as others have in other threads, if the occasional riskier subject may appear once there are a few '"cool" subjects that are going to sell'.

21 minutes ago, MikeC said:

Doesn't have to be, just needs people to stay on topic :coolio:

The rest if your post makes a good point, but I do wonder, as others have in other threads, if the occasional riskier subject may appear once there are a few '"cool" subjects that are going to sell'.

If the business model is to maximize profits with every release, I'd suggest the answer to that is a firm no.   Time will tell.   I'd love to see Kotare occasionally throw out an oddball subject but first, they need to address the "cool" subjects, many of which still haven't been done to today's level of quality. 

2 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

I'm wondering about a A-4 Kahu but not in the short term. As far as I know they never said they would only focus on WW2 topics.

Same ... In fact I'm pretty sure I saw a Q&A where Members of the Kotare Team said that they will focus on subjects that they like - subject to them having the capacity to be earners ... and that it did not specifically include or exclude any particular era or type ... excepting that WW1 Subjects were fairly well covered already (for those hoping that they'd head back into WNW territory)

Rog :)

2 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

I'm wondering about a A-4 Kahu but not in the short term. As far as I know they never said they would only focus on WW2 topics.

Agree. A Kahu and especially the BAC 167 Strikemaster is well within their parameters. Dinky, "local" and desirable.

I'd also say the same for the DeHavilland Sea Venom.

After the late WW2 '109K announcement I'm thinking a 1:32 Griffon Spitfire and Seafire would be sure sellers.

As they risk bigger projects a Beaufighter and Beaufort might beckon. Or the world's best-ever E E Lightning kitset. 

Tony