ICM 2024 Releases

Dennis7423

17 minutes ago, mozart said:

I’m rather sad that even my beloved Silver Wings company have deserted 1/32 scale with the launch last year of their 1/48 flying boats. I have enough of their biplanes to keep me going I guess but it’s always exciting to see a new “must have” come along. 

I used to bug Simon about doing a 1/32 DXXI-4 Sarja ( Finnish version), he said they 'were' but changed their

minds after their 1/32 stuff was being IM'd by someone (had to be ICM) which pretty much brought their resin

sales to a halt as most people prefer IM. I have SW's He-51, CR 32 and 42, and Gladiator but I prefer IM too so

I wish ICM would keep going with their pursuit of less than popular subjects.

1 minute ago, MikeMaben said:

I used to bug Simon about doing a 1/32 DXXI-4 Sarja ( Finnish version), he said they 'were' but changed their

minds after their 1/32 stuff was being IM'd by someone (had to be ICM) which pretty much brought their resin

sales to a halt as most people prefer IM. I have SW's He-51, CR 32 and 42, and Gladiator but I prefer IM too so

That’s sad but true Mike, ICM did “copy” and consequently steal SW’s market in kits, people tend to prefer IM rather than resin for some reason, I guess it is easier to work with. I’ve just asked him for a Harvard Mk 1! :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, MikeMaben said:

Mike, Mike, Mike, you're just supposed to look at the pictures  :popcorn:

Oops, my bad, but sometimes one can't resist an open goal. :sorry:

Although I was recently reading somewhere that "fighter jet" is a rendering by some translation engine or other that would probably be better translated as "warplane" or simply "fighter".  So not really ICM's fault I suspect.  Sorry guys, and I do love your kits, keep up the good work (particularly if there's a 1/32 Chipmunk involved).

59 minutes ago, MikeMaben said:

...I prefer IM too so

Yep, me too.

4 hours ago, MikeC said:

At last, the never-before-kitted Gladiator jet version!

3 hours ago, MikeC said:

Oops, my bad, but sometimes one can't resist an open goal. :sorry:

Although I was recently reading somewhere that "fighter jet" is a rendering by some translation engine or other that would probably be better translated as "warplane" or simply "fighter".  So not really ICM's fault I suspect.  Sorry guys, and I do love your kits, keep up the good work (particularly if there's a 1/32 Chipmunk involved).

Yep, me too.

Good points Mike but I wished my Ukrainian was as good as their English. I'd love to see them do dinky jet trainers too.

I'm not keen on alternative media kits because I detest using the required adhesives, yet for cleaner aerodynamic shapes like 1/32 fighter jets they seem the future and I'm going to have to overcome my allergy to cyanoacrylate glue. 

Tony 

8 hours ago, mozart said:

That’s sad but true Mike, ICM did “copy” and consequently steal SW’s market in kits, people tend to prefer IM rather than resin for some reason, I guess it is easier to work with. I’ve just asked him for a Harvard Mk 1! :rolleyes:

Speaking for myself, IM is also much cheaper than resin.  Then there is the issue with health and working in resin dust (when sanding) and shrinkage that is an apparent issue with resin that is not present with IM kits

Edited by esarmstrong

7 hours ago, esarmstrong said:

Speaking for myself, IM is also much cheaper than resin.  Then there is the issue with health and working in resin dust (when sanding) and shrinkage that is an apparent issue with resin that is not present with IM kits

If you take health and safety measures  should be ok, same with plastic. 

16 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Who knows, maybe they'll catch up with 1/72 scale ?

Haha, good point. I don't build either, but folks in the business say that Quarter Scale is now the hot market. There have always been more 1/72nd scale planes, but the frequency of releases seems to be in 1/48th. Of course, I have been wrong before and I will be wrong again. Like I said, I don't build either scale, and am relying on the opinions of others.

Associated with advancing years, for some, is a conflict between home downsizing and preferred model scale increase. 32nd has well known attractions, but quarter scale gets more finished models displayed in smaller homes, of course. And then there is that whole mortality/legacy thing.

Could somebody develop IM technology to self destruct completed 32nd aircraft models after x years? A similar approach works for the electronic appliance industry, is a feature of computers and communication devices and could be a firm step forward to resolving some frightful dilemmas to do with LSP display spaces and stash reduction.

Or am I crazy?

I wince Every.Time. someone says "quarter scale" when they mean 1/48th.   

I know its only my own personal hang-up, as it doesn't seem to bother anyone else, even those who use the expression AND the metric system, even though it has an Imperial measurement connotation which to me makes even less sense than saying the expression itself (hard to believe) since I grew up with actual quarter scale models; AKA 1/4 scale. 

Rant over.........Carry on

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

I wince Every.Time. someone says "quarter scale" when they mean 1/48th.   

I know its only my own personal hang-up, as it doesn't seem to bother anyone else, even those who use the expression AND the metric system, even though it has an Imperial measurement connotation which to me makes even less sense than saying the expression itself (hard to believe) since I grew up with actual quarter scale models; AKA 1/4 scale. 

Rant over.........Carry on

Depends on your background. I lived the construction industry most of my life and, especially in architecture, 1/4 scale always meant 1/4"=1'-0" which of course is 1/48th and a standard drawing scale. So if I hear 1/4 scale I always know what they mean.