1/18 Supermarine S6B - S1595

airscale

3 hours ago, mozart said:

But if that was mine, I’d leave it naked. :D

I second that! There must have been a moment in history, prior to painting, when the original plane looked exactly like St. Pete's "model" in its current appearance, although perhaps with a somewhat lesser degree of wear and tear in the cockpit B) ...

Anyhow, this artefact, right now, definitely has reached a sculpturous quality, where it stops representing anything but itself. It could be placed on a pedestal in the middle of a room, just like that.

thank you all, very kind :)

So, the painting stage is looming....

I needed to get some new etch primer as it only has a 12 month shelf life and frustratingly it is still not here yet..

I have worked out the colour (I think) - some of the original paint is still on S1595 in the Science Museum (it was repainted ages ago in the wrong blue, likely roundel blue) so I did some samples and arrived at what i think is a reasonable match given the limitations of eyeballs, digital sampling and light

I took all my similar blues and did a tester, photographed in natural and artificial light and ended up mixing a shade from what I had - this is the analysis..

OkIF0n.jpg

It is what it is, there are no colour pics so sue me if I am wrong...

..while waiting I busied myself and there is absolutely no construction remaining..

Pitot tube done - complex little thing..

eK7SUe.jpg

..cockpit canopy done, another complex little thing - i hate doing transparencies as they are just a huuuuuge opportunity to fu#k up..

ecck69.jpg

also all the beaching gear was made of plastic and wood, and the wire wheels finished..

oGz0dY.jpg

My5uAT.jpg

..again with no colour photos, I painted them what I thought / interpreted - basically battleship grey as it's likely marine paint..

..added the petrol cans and trolley..

0SrPUt.jpg

bRHODV.jpg

k0fBEi.jpg

8zhe0l.jpg

..and thats it - the next time I post, it will be all painted.. :) wish me luck :)

..in other news, I have decided on my next subject - something I have wanted to do for ages but thought it wouldn't fit in my display cabinet - I measured again and I think I can just squeeze it in - any ideas? :ph34r:

TTFN
Peter

This is looking like this years winner at Telford Peter.

I just ordered the Haynes manual on the S6B after watching your project develop.

Good luck with the paintwork, cannot wait to see the finished aircraft as it looked in it's heyday.

PS- does the canopy open/close?

Edited by Palm-tree
Question added

Good luck with the painting Peter. You've got this :thumbsup:

I can hardly contain my excitement. 

What could the next creation be? :hmmm:

Largely natural metal finish. 

Not too enormous. 

Propeller aircraft. 

Hmmm. :wacko:

So many potential candidates.

I'll go with a P-38. 

Fabulous acolades Pete, and all, including mine, are all well deserved. If you enter this model in the Nats and the Model Engineers Contests you WILL win, and so you should. Your skills have ( and continue to do so)  shown us lesser mortals how replica's should be made. We all thank you for showing us in detail how to achieve such results. 

As the model sits right now ( well, as I write this, lol, it may have progressed by now) I feel that the finish you have achieved is superb. To paint it might be, ... well, I don't know, not detrimental, far from, but.......lesser. .... Maybe a diorama with the 'plane in the paint shop about to be painted. 

But then your paint/artist skills.......

Sorry for the ramble, it just looks so suberb in NMF. 

Regards,  Pete in RI