1/18 Supermarine S6B - S1595

airscale

• 2 weeks later...

thank you chaps, you are all so very kind :)

On 2/21/2024 at 2:25 PM, JayW said:

I see and understand almost all you are doing here.  And it's a master class in aluminum skinning.  Tell me - how is your wrist and forearm after pressing thousands of rivet marks?  My own body was the limiting factor in many of my past skinning efforts on the Corsair.  

Well Jay, having just done the wings I do have pains from RSI - it will pass, but yes sometimes I just have to push through the pain :)

On 2/24/2024 at 6:39 PM, chukw said:

Floatplanes are my weakness- this is almost too much to bear!  I'm wondering if that sheet elevator extension was added to provide more elevator authority, or as a trimming surface. 

Exactly Chuck, it is an adjustable trimming tab, but only on the ground - suits me, as it makes it easier to build :)

So, lots has gone on the last few weeks...

..the propeller was made as a 3D print which I found very hard to do as it's a complex shape which has oblong roots and quite a twist.. - the spinner cap is machined from solid aluminium so it can be polished like the original..

Rt9ahz.jpg

..I started the wings by filling the plastic frame with foam & filler - this was then refined many times and note they are complete with the ailerons in place so they can be cut out later...

mJnMWj.jpg

..after a lot of finishing, the ailerons were removed...

5IIj4P.jpg

..and so to the skinning... I drew out the plans that copied the layout of all the fastners that cover the entire surface.. by the time I finished I selected all objects in the drawing and for the four wing surfaces there were 8,962 rivets... that is bordering on the ridiculous and likely as many as I have done on entire airframes before..

,,nothing to do but get started, so here is a typical panel - the small dots are one rivet depression, the big dots two, which was even more demoralising..

..also seen is a template to score out a hatch with a pin in a pin vise..

8BSFAD.jpg

..after 3 days and a very sore set of muscles they were done...

GJjpU9.jpg

AzW5IP.jpg

..no time to rest though, and the ailerons were completed..

hKOlct.jpg

..the wings were added using JB weld and given a day to set, then I could start the fillets - I have not done the front ones as they need to also cover the forward strut mount..

IA9YLT.jpg

5PqHv7.jpg

..with the wings on, I could add the belly oil cooler assembly - as with the fuselage sides this was a 3D printed buck over which the metal sheet was fomed..

AwSQhR.jpg

..in two parts, it stretches all along the lower fuselage..

6WbBr7.jpg

..with so much skinning going on, I fancied a change and so started on the beaching trolley - well at least the wire wheels of the trolley..

I 3D printed a hub, a rim and a jig..

tUliu0.jpg

..and then bent a lot of piano wire spokes and started to populate them

cnbJJC.jpg

..and the finished wheels, along with some Pratts petrol cans I have seen in pictures with the airframe..

WLUF5f.jpg

qGaB7L.jpg

..and so before the painting starts next week, some final shots in all her nakedness...

Jm5aMI.jpg

wdGNnU.jpg

Hw85cN.jpg

4tWUNY.jpg

QOG911.jpg

Gsjteu.jpg

ASJHDH.jpg

..time to start thinking about the finish...

until next time

TTFN

Peter