1/32 JetMADS Draken reservations are open

Zola25

33 minutes ago, Kenneth said:

Anybody knows what their decals are like in general? I‘d really like to see them before taking the plunge. I‘m only interested in a Danish version, and kit manufacturers usually get them wrong, in particular the proprietary font for serial number. At that price, I‘d want a kit which complete and correct… but maybe I‘m being naïve here…

Cartograf decals.

57 minutes ago, mattcour said:

I did, after several hours. FB comment says they are quite busy responding.

Hmm.. i sent them my reservation some 9 minutes after their announcement on Facebook.. hope they got it

Update: Got my confirmation as well 

Edited by Zola25

Based on my pleasure of having multiple copies of all of their releases I have just placed a reservation for 3 Drakens and am truly wondering what those "terrible print layers" look like because I don't see them on any of my kits.

It is true there are some layers on some parts. But hey, this is about 3D printing and this is how it works: LAYERS! The guys themselves note in the instruction sheets that sanding of some parts would be required to achieve smoother surfaces. And as an engineer and a businessman who has to deal with this 3D printing stuff everyday, I must tell you that it is not mostly the resolution of the printer but the geometry of what you are printing that generates visible layers.

As a very happy customer of Jetmads I have started to think now, for some reason or another there is a malicious effort for a smear campaign but I don't think it'll work. Anybody complaining so much about printing layers do not have to buy their kits. And they would probably be happy to produce for those who appreciate and love their work.

Niels has published a tremendous Viggen here and I don't see any layers on it! Nor on any other one you would find on the internet. I don't mean to say that you would not need to spend some effort and time to make things better, more or less like with any other kit of any other brand, and I have no reason at all to advocate their efforts apart from being a fan of their work, but I hate this kit/manufacturer bashing attitude which only harms our hobby. 

7 hours ago, Kenneth said:

Anybody knows what their decals are like in general? I‘d really like to see them before taking the plunge. I‘m only interested in a Danish version, and kit manufacturers usually get them wrong, in particular the proprietary font for serial number. At that price, I‘d want a kit which complete and correct… but maybe I‘m being naïve here…

On the first Viggen kit ( the only one I have built so far) the decals were very nice. Printed by Cartograph, very thin, in register and responded well to micro sol/set.

On that kit they forgot to include some squadron emblems which they provided as home printed extras. They were not very good to be honest.

On the big plus side, they included some 10 different marking options if I remember correctly. One if the best packages I have seen in any kit 

Being a local Dane I am also mostly interested in the RDAF version so I hope they get it right. If they don't , here is my backup from LN Decals ;)

https://lndecals.dk/rdaf-numbers-letters-from-early-60s-and-up-3/

/Niels

Edited by Zola25

1 hour ago, Violator1991 said:

Based on my pleasure of having multiple copies of all of their releases I have just placed a reservation for 3 Drakens and am truly wondering what those "terrible print layers" look like because I don't see them on any of my kits.

It is true there are some layers on some parts. But hey, this is about 3D printing and this is how it works: LAYERS! The guys themselves note in the instruction sheets that sanding of some parts would be required to achieve smoother surfaces. And as an engineer and a businessman who has to deal with this 3D printing stuff everyday, I must tell you that it is not mostly the resolution of the printer but the geometry of what you are printing that generates visible layers.

As a very happy customer of Jetmads I have started to think now, for some reason or another there is a malicious effort for a smear campaign but I don't think it'll work. Anybody complaining so much about printing layers do not have to buy their kits. And they would probably be happy to produce for those who appreciate and love their work.

Niels has published a tremendous Viggen here and I don't see any layers on it! Nor on any other one you would find on the internet. I don't mean to say that you would not need to spend some effort and time to make things better, more or less like with any other kit of any other brand, and I have no reason at all to advocate their efforts apart from being a fan of their work, but I hate this kit/manufacturer bashing attitude which only harms our hobby. 

Totally agree.T he only real issue i had with printing lines on the Viggen was the cockpit area. It is a tight spot to sand.

1 hour ago, Violator1991 said:

Amen!

The image posted earlier in this thread of the Viggen rear end looked the same for me. Clearly taken with a layer of grey primer making everything look even worse. The thing is that after 60 seconds with a sanding sponge mine looked pretty smooth and not an issue what so ever. I sand all my kits anyway so I did it without thinking twice about it. The cockpit, as mentioned, was a bit frustrating to sand but for a very limited run kit.... show me a company who does it better for a complete package.

On any limited run kit I would easily expect to spend twice as long making it as on a normal kit, but I can safely say that I did not. I am a fan ;)

/Niels

13 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Cool , so we should see several of these built some time next year then ???

sYTmL0T.jpg?2

Just as soon as we see some of the Fly Tunnans roll out . . .