Nakajima B5N2 Kate planned - 1:35 - Border Models

Trak-Tor

I got 1/48 sitting next to 1/32 next to 1/72 and the roof hasn't fallen in yet . I agree in a perfect world  a 1/32 Kate would be nice because we got a Val now and we got zeros all in 1/32. If the their Kate looks as good as their FW -190, it'll be a quality kit and I'm looking for quality first and fore most. I got the Val and not exactly over the moon with it [ I'll be building it regardless]. I do think that Border will be doing a zero and a Val so I'll just set aside a space for them by themselves

2 hours ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

I got 1/48 sitting next to 1/32 next to 1/72 and the roof hasn't fallen in yet . I agree in a perfect world  a 1/32 Kate would be nice because we got a Val now and we got zeros all in 1/32. If the their Kate looks as good as their FW -190, it'll be a quality kit and I'm looking for quality first and fore most. I got the Val and not exactly over the moon with it [ I'll be building it regardless]. I do think that Border will be doing a zero and a Val so I'll just set aside a space for them by themselves

1/72 and 1/48 on the same shelf and next to 1/32!!! How dare you!!!!

Let's try to keep personal jabs out folks, we are all entitled to our opinions as long as we share them with a bit of respect.

I think it's acceptable for a company to branch out and take a risk, but it's also acceptable for people like me to put our money behind projects and companies we like and prevent it from going to companies and projects we don't want to support.

In this case, for me at least, that goes for any 1/35th fixed wing aircraft model, and not necessarily the company that produces them. 

No one needs to be reminded of my opinion of 1/35 at this point, but I'll just let my pocket book do the talking and hope that it somehow helps keep 1/32nd prominent and 1/35th out of fixed wing aircraft (I'd love it if it went away all together, but that is not realistic unfortunately)

Quality of the kit is the most important issue for me.  I have built both of Border's previous releases in 1/35 and it's obvious based on the FW-190 (latest release) they are learning.  The quality of the decals on the Bf-109 was very lackluster especially with the white crosses, which were a bit transparent.  I have yet to decal the Stuka but the decals look to be of the same design and construction.  Border's instructions on the BF-109 had several errors for part numbers.  But the kit went together very well with very little gapping to fill.  The Stuka was even better in regards to construction.  Very nice fit.  

On the Kate, they are showing the ignition wires on the engine and the cables/hoses running through the wing folds both of which I wonder if they will make it to the actual model.  

On the Bf-109, the rivets were IMO way overdone and very pronounced.  On the Stuka they seemingly backed off on this and the effect was more natural looking.  

I have not seen the FW-190 yet but hope it's even better and builds up well. 

Paul C 

1 hour ago, Paul2660 said:

Quality of the kit is the most important issue for me.  I have built both of Border's previous releases in 1/35 and it's obvious based on the FW-190 (latest release) they are learning.  The quality of the decals on the Bf-109 was very lackluster especially with the white crosses, which were a bit transparent.  I have yet to decal the Stuka but the decals look to be of the same design and construction.  Border's instructions on the BF-109 had several errors for part numbers.  But the kit went together very well with very little gapping to fill.  The Stuka was even better in regards to construction.  Very nice fit.  

On the Kate, they are showing the ignition wires on the engine and the cables/hoses running through the wing folds both of which I wonder if they will make it to the actual model.  

On the Bf-109, the rivets were IMO way overdone and very pronounced.  On the Stuka they seemingly backed off on this and the effect was more natural looking.  

I have not seen the FW-190 yet but hope it's even better and builds up well. 

Paul C 

I'm hoping they include the ignition wires ,would really set things off. You can check out the FW by looking at Quang's build! It's a nice kit and Quang did a bang up job, check it out .I agree quality IS the selling point [for me] Damn the scale full speed ahead! I'm guessing the Akagi super structure is an optional thing which is fine by means I don't really have a use for it[ it'll take up too much room] It is nice though.

Well, the fact is that dozens and dozens of pilot and crew figures exist in 1/32 as well as tractors, generators, bomb trailers, etc. but NO vehicle. In front of that we have hundreds of vehicles BUT with a dozen of helicopter references and less than ten plane kits with close to zero pilot, ground crew or equipment! Even if this is a fully stupid situation for which we can eternally damn a Tamiya employee, this is alas not going to change... It is not surprising frustration emerges when a company is releasing a plane support truck for which no plane kit exists in that scale or a plane for which all equivalent ones are in a similar but different scale. Border will probably go on with 1/35 plane models. However, I'm not seeing such a strategy as a game changer as the release of the 1/35 Tamiya Panther. When this kit was released there were less than twenty existing 1/32 AFV models! 1/32 is for many decades the large scale plane kit scale with a huge amount of models and accessories. The same can be said now for 1/35 figures and vehicles. I think we have to accept the coexistence of both scales and select if we want to mix or not. I'm convinced someone will finally jump in the 1/32 plane support vehicles wagon!

1 hour ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

Well, ya know it'll be alright. I believe as time goes forward we'll get used to the fact that there will be more 1/35 scale aircraft. Didn't someone put out a fieseler Fi -156 in  1/35th or am I hallucinating again [happens from time to time]?

You are right. Tristar did it and the molds went to HobbyBoss when that company disappeared.

Apparently HPH is doing the Kate still in 1/32 for those that want it.  I find this an attractive kit, I do not know that I will buy or build one, different questions there.  Lots of models I like but i only buy a fraction of what I like.  In 1/32 or for that matter 1/35, it has to frankly blow me away to buy it as it take me too long to build models as it is.  I have a very modest stash and still have more models on hand than I have time to build.  

Edited by cbk57

1 hour ago, cbk57 said:

Apparently HPH is doing the Kate still in 1/32 for those that want it.  I find this an attractive kit, I do not know that I will buy or build one, different questions there.  Lots of models I like but i only buy a fraction of what I like.  In 1/32 or for that matter 1/35, it has to frankly blow me away to buy it as it take me too long to build models as it is.  I have a very modest stash and still have more models on hand than I have time to build.  

I see various posts to that effect - but nothing concrete that the 1/32 Kate will see the light of day ... 

If HpH do it, there will be a LOT of resin - and your modelling skills will need to be VERY high calibre as their kits fight you every step of the way.

... AND ... It will be very expensive to start with.

If they could have sold the company off to someone like Fly Model, we might have ended up with a slightly expensive, short run kit, that was still very buildable ...

But now??

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

17 hours ago, John Stambaugh said:

Well then there is only one remedy. 

Henceforth all ground vehicles must now be in 1/32 & 1/24th scale.

It's the only reasonable solution!

Dear Mr Stambaugh,

Sir, it is beneath you to make such a fallacious and execrable comment. I can only assume that either that you have been unduly influenced by the 'zealots' or that you failed to take the correct dosage of med's prior to writing the comment. Either way, Sir, as both a noble and beloved member of the modelling community, it is beneath your elevated status to say such!

On a serious note, whilst it is not impossible that manufacturers may, in the future, produce the occasional 1/32 vehicle to support and complement LSP's, I don't envisage large numbers to be produced any time soon. Like it or not [unlike some, personally the question is utterly irrelevant insofar as I am concerned], 1/35 is the dominant scale for larger modelling items, regardless of subject matter. I don't see that going away or changing either anytime soon. I am pleased with what Border are doing, as it is not only another manufacturer entering the LSP genre, but it also provides further options and variations for us modellers to choose from. Especially if, once established, they latch onto and kit some of the aircraft that traditional 1/32 manufacturers have, to-date, declined to kit; the 'Kate' being a case in point.

Warm Regards & Good Modelling from the Kingdom of the Rheged.

Gary.