Facebook as a research source for model builds

I've seen multiple posts from folks here about how they will never go on Facebook or other social media platforms.    I typically have no use for FB and don't use any other social media, but over the last few years, I've discovered that FB is an absolute treasure trove of information and pictures of pretty much any subject you are focused on.   Most of this stuff never makes it to the internet.     I was starting my AH-1G Cobra build and found a bunch of rare pictures and had questions answered by the guys who flew Cobras in Vietnam.   For this build, I've been frequenting pages set up for AH-1 Cobra pilots, Vietnam War helo pilots and a few others.    On a previous build, I got a huge amount of help from an FB page established for the 160th SOAR "Nightstalkers".   The vast majority of members of that page are current and former Nightstalkers.     Doesn't get any better than that.   

I've made FB a mandatory tool when researching a build (or any other subject that happens to catch my attention that day).    On these FB pages you get a mix of actual vets (it seems that many Vietnam vets are starting to take to social media and share their experiences and pictures), subject matter experts, enthusiasts and the occasional goofball but you'll see the same chaff to wheat ratio here on LSP as well.     Just one example - I posted a question a few months ago about the Cobra in Vietnam.  I got a detailed response from Hugh Mills.   For those who don't know Col Mills, he was one of the most highly decorated Army pilots of the Vietnam War, flying Cobras and OH-6's.   He's authored multiple books and is just an overall amazing person. 

You guys are missing out.   You can easily get onto FB and not have to deal with the garbage that makes up 90% of what is posted (for some strange reason, I have no interest in what my FB "friends" had for dinner last night or what their thoughts are on politics, COVID, etc).   Just set up a generic FB account, using a fake name, don't provide any personal info (make something up if necessary), don't make any "friends", set all privacy settings to max and when it asks for an email address to link it to, just use a "burner" email account from G-mail or Yahoo.   You've got nothing personal in play and full access to the good parts of FB.

Just a suggestion. 

58 minutes ago, John1 said:

I've seen multiple posts from folks here about how they will never go on Facebook or other social media platforms.    I typically have no use for FB and don't use any other social media, but over the last few years, I've discovered that FB is an absolute treasure trove of information and pictures of pretty much any subject you are focused on.   Most of this stuff never makes it to the internet.

I got a small chuckle out of these comments. LSP is literally social media and Facebook is on the Internet..... :D 

I do agree with everything else though. Facebook has been indispensable for me as a decal and resin manufacturer, especially when it comes to research. As I no longer have access to the flightline and aircraft since retiring, being a member of almost all of the squadron pages keeps me connected and dozens of Marines go out of their way to help with references when needed. I also belong to a few Ordnance groups and many sailors and Marines help with current Ordnance stuff. 

Business wise, Facebook is largely responsible for the growth of Flying Leathernecks Decals. To be honest, I hesitate to post any new product info here, on ARC or HS simply because I get little to zero feedback. I'll post a new product announcement on FB and within a few hours, it's been seen by hundreds of modelers, shared to several modeling pages and I get responses that at least let me know the product was worth creating. I'll post the same info here or the other two sites and it usually shows me that it was nothing more than a waste of time to do so. 

1 hour ago, Dave Roof said:

I got a small chuckle out of these comments. LSP is literally social media and Facebook is on the Internet..... :D 

I do agree with everything else though. Facebook has been indispensable for me as a decal and resin manufacturer, especially when it comes to research. As I no longer have access to the flightline and aircraft since retiring, being a member of almost all of the squadron pages keeps me connected and dozens of Marines go out of their way to help with references when needed. I also belong to a few Ordnance groups and many sailors and Marines help with current Ordnance stuff. 

Business wise, Facebook is largely responsible for the growth of Flying Leathernecks Decals. To be honest, I hesitate to post any new product info here, on ARC or HS simply because I get little to zero feedback. I'll post a new product announcement on FB and within a few hours, it's been seen by hundreds of modelers, shared to several modeling pages and I get responses that at least let me know the product was worth creating. I'll post the same info here or the other two sites and it usually shows me that it was nothing more than a waste of time to do so. 

I "get" that LSP's forums are technically social media and FB is on the internet but I do hope you understood the point I was trying to make.    The forums here on LSP are light years apart from what I consider social media, as is FB from what I consider to be the internet.     Sorry to hear about the lack of feedback on the modeling sites.    ARC is dying a slow death; I might be on that site once/week and have given up posting my builds there.  I've gone in and saved various unique photos, so they won't be lost before the inevitable shut down.     Don't know what to make about HS.  Seems like decent forum activity but I can't get my account squared away and emails to the owner of the have been pointless.   

Side note - never knew you had such a deep product line.   I'll be doing some shopping in the future (and yes - I have now followed you on FB :) ). 

Edited by John1

I'm afraid that Facebook leaves me cold, I did have an account once upon a time but I could never get into it at all so I quit, it is annoying though when you find a site with information that you would like to access that is blocked because you are not a member, but I can live with that, lots of other sources out there.

Cheers

Dennis

I only use faceloook for special interest groups, and I find a ton of cool stuff and very helpful folks that share the same passion(s). As to the day to day "look what I had for breakfast" garbage, that remains largely ignored by me, as it's a complete and utter waste of time.

I usually go there just to look at pictures of models and classic cars.

Don't forget Yootoob. I've learned more there and picked up some cool

and useful tips on modeling.  I've fixed plumbing issues, fixed my garage

door opener, swapped out the driver side window regulator on my Jeep,

things that would have been a PITA without the help of people who've

already done what I need to do. Talk about seperating the wheat from

the chaff John,  that's been the case re the internet since day one.

15 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Well Dave, if you want to optimize product visibility this is simple: you need to advertise on both sides! The reason is simple: many people don't want to use FB or any other so-called social media network. With regard to the people reaction to your announcements, I think you miss one important element: the combination of the application goal and user practice! FB is designed and optimized to generate interactivity, followers and 'likes'. So, it is not surprising many people are playing the game that way. This generates creation of private data FB can sell for mining and increase the audience to profitable advertising. I also think that if you dislike that logic you go out of FB. And then you go back to the initial point: everyone is not and does not stay on FB. In comparison LSP does not work the same way as there is no need to generate data creation to make business. However, don't believe that lack of reaction means lack of visibility. Actually it is the number of views and not the reactions themselves that indicate the attractivity of your posts. There are always far more lurkers than active people on SIG sites. To me, the main drawback of FB is the difficulty to play with their algorithms to avoid all the crap and the advertising. This is unfortunately unavoidable as this is the cornerstone of that network. The only advantage that FB can give you is that it will automatically send proposals to some people to see your posts.