Border Models Lancaster - it will be my last LSP build

Stokey Pete

My homemade masks…..used.

1ManArmy masks…..used.

I’ve deliberately painted a few bits sloppily here and there to ensure the bombs don’t all look identical, as I’m sure that was the case when foundries were casting 1000’s upon 1000’s at a time. 
I’m also sure that my colours aren’t entirely accurate, but it’s not something I get hung up on when I’m only building for myself. I can live with anything that would bring on the cold sweats for others. 
This is a couple of samples photographed macro style. 

52772377745_9347e7879b_b.jpg

next up…….to give them the bomb dump treatment.

WOW! Awesome! Ok, last weekend Sprue Bros had this kit on sale at a REALLY nice price, and as these things go, my bank acct was at a low point. So, I am building this along side vicariously. Love the OMA demo, I have their set for the Gladiator but not used it yet, and will get a set for the Spitfire. 

14 minutes ago, europapete said:

Well......I did the dirty deed. Was at the Valleycon show in Chicopee, Massachusetts yesterday and Boomer's Books vendor had one. So, was duely bargained for and secured. :thumbsup:

He also said that there is a set of vacformed canopies etc for this kit, had anyone heard of that?

Outstanding, I hope you got a good deal. You’re now the proud owner of one of the finest model kits I think we’ll ever see (in my humble opinion anyway).
I can’t say I’ve heard of any vac’ canopies being produced. 
I know they’re not perfect, but knowing that’s there’s no real alternative, I’ve resigned myself to doing what I can

with the transparencies in the box. 

I’d highly recommend checking out Nigel’s Modelling Bench YouTube channel for his build thread. There’s a mine of hints and tips for build sequence and the like. 

A little progress towards the bomb bays completion. And I couldn’t resist setting the load out in their positions. There’s still a little dry brushing and some oil stains to add to the bay framework, and the bombs to finish off. 
I’ve come to the conclusion that in order to enjoy this kit, I’m going to treat each sub-assembly section as a model in its own right, and work them exclusively. 
This bomb bay and load consists of some 170+ parts. 
The rest of the ‘mini models’….flight deck, engines, gun turrets, all have high part counts. 
I don’t mind waxing lyrical about how much I really like this kit. 

52777761168_deea162314_b.jpg 52778269459_5936623461_b.jpg

The ‘black’ of the bomb bay is actually made up of several different mixes of NATO black with red, blue, brown. A little paint chipping using masking fluid around the bomb grip mounting points. 
Next up is to paint the bulkhead and side panels, which on dry fitting, fit like the proverbial glove. 

Thanks Pete, yep got it at the same sale price Sprue Bros had it for a couple of weeks ago and saved on the shipping. I agree, this has to be the best injection kit yet molded to date. Will check out Nigels site, thanks for the tip. 

You are right about treating each section as a mini kit. I believe it's the best way to approach these complex kits. I do the same with my large scale ships, and also at work, with the car restorations. 

Edited by europapete

While I await delivery of some weathering materials, and paints, I thought I’d have a go at the insanity that is the miniature Merlins.

most of what you see here is only dry fit into position, that’s how good a fit these parts are. 
I may come across a little like a fanboy here but I can honestly say that I’m so excited to see these built. They’re almost resin quality in their level of detail, but in plastic form. They’re gonna look awesome when they’re painted and detailed. 

52784780677_ec1d2e9c10_b.jpg

52785785898_f5b155e8af_b.jpg

• Stokey Pete changed the title to Border Models Lancaster - Merlin mayhem.

Oh man, this is labour and concentration intensive. I’ve let the glued framework for engine 2 set fully, so I can do some more dry fitting.

I’m a bit tragic and have counted up parts to make the engine to the state it’ll be displayed, and there’s no less than 75 per engine. 300 parts for 4 engines! :o.

I’ve built entire kits using less parts. 

52789336729_bba311880a_b.jpg

To anyone else building, or considering a start to one…….be super careful when cutting engine frame parts. They’re stupidly delicate. Also beware the carpet monster. I’ve had to wrestle with it over the last couple of days to give me tiny parts back.

Now all I have to do is cut and trim parts

for the other 3 motors. Sheesh!