Revell 1/32 Gloster Meteor F.3

KiwiZac

18 minutes ago, Grunticus said:

I would have loved this to be an F.8, like many. But no matter what Revell do, it's never going to satisfy us. Remember their Hunters everybody screamed for for decades? They were duds sales-wise. Who would have thought....

Well, I bought at least five of them over the years. If they added some parts for a GA.11 (or the allegedly part-tooled T.7 two-seater) I'd definitely buy a few more. Genuinely, I would. 

Tony

16 hours ago, fastterry said:

Just thinking out aloud, does anybody know if the Tamiya 1/48 Meteor F.3 was a marketing success? I don't recall too many appearing in the various RFI's so this would lead me to believe that it was not a success and WW2 fighter or not it's not a well known subject. I reckon a 1/32 F.3 would be a one way ticket to losing money. The F.8 on the other hand did partake in serious combat in Korea for starters and had more users and schemes and is more well known amongst modellers. Just to be clear I have two HKM F.4's, one of which I am trying to mate with an ID vacform back end to make an F.8 because I missed the Fisher conversion and I really want one. If Mr (Herr) Revell sees sense and does the F.8 then the hybrid will go to great plastic re-cycler in the sky.

TRF

I think it sold well, despite the airbrake fiasco.

18 minutes ago, Ossington 1 said:

Uh, what airbrake fiasco. I didn't know this kit is 'fatally flawed' I have two part started and I think, another three in the stash. Do you mean the HKM Meteor brakes or the Revell Hunter?

I believe this is in reference to the Tamiya 1/48 kit.  But, as I remember, the mess-up was with the initial F.1 boxing, as it incorrectly had a F.3 wing with the airbrakes.  They later fixed the wing in subsequent F.1 boxings.  

On 12/15/2022 at 8:38 PM, Iain said:

A Mk.III would be nice.

But - I'd buy just 1.

A later mark - and I'd buy quite a few...

I guess, to most of their audience, a Meteor is a Meteor - and a wartime 'companion' to their 262 to boot.

We'll see what we see I guess - it'll be yet another new release in my go to scale - so what's not to like?  :)

Iain

Exactly my thoughts. Mk III is a dead end, virtually nothing would be useful for any other versions.  This like Tamiya's Churchill 7 tank, when had they done an earlier one, it could have been  backdated to the first Churchills, fore-dated to cover most of the combat versions, AND all of the super popular AVRE specials.  Big opportunity missed. I get the WWII aspect, but the Meteor had next to no impact on the war, there are only two colour schemes, bar the yellow bellied prototypes, whereas an F8 would have dozens and dozens and dozens of alternatives, in dozens of different air arms.  A no brainer, as far as I can see......

9 hours ago, morane said:

Hi all.
The model is announced at Hannant "Gloster Meteor New Tool, October 2023"
But unless I am wrong, the illustration shows a Mk-IV, with long engine nacelle, not an end of production Mk-III ) Mystery, mystery.
Richard

RV3830.jpg?t=1671664411

High Speed Flight Mk 4....... Hence the waxed finish.

2 hours ago, Ossington 1 said:

Uh, what airbrake fiasco. I didn't know this kit is 'fatally flawed' I have two part started and I think, another three in the stash. Do you mean the HKM Meteor brakes or the Revell Hunter?

IIRC, Tamiya faithfully  reproduced the Meteor that they had measured, not knowing it was an F.1 fuselage mated to a F.3 wing, which had airbrakes. A little putty and some sanding fixed the "problem", but back then everyone was up in arms about it.

9 hours ago, morane said:

Hi all.
The model is announced at Hannant "Gloster Meteor New Tool, October 2023"
But unless I am wrong, the illustration shows a Mk-IV, with long engine nacelle, not an end of production Mk-III ) Mystery, mystery.
Richard

RV3830.jpg?t=1671664411

You're not wrong.  EE-528 is one of the first batch of Mk.4's, the batch starting with EE-517, ending with EE-599 and all built at Hucclecote.  Looking at the wing, and in particular the position of the pitot relative to the position of the wing tip light, I'd suggest this plane is probably one of the longer span early Mk.4's.  If so, it's likely to have been grounded for a while due to a few accidents involving loss of wings.  The fix was to shorten the wing 2ft 10in each side, bringing the wing tip light into closer proximity to the pitot.

I'm now wondering if the Mk.3 apparently announced will actually be a Mk.4.  If so, at least the choice of camo, natural metal and markings will improve.

Cheers,

Michael

Dogsbody, are you prepared to pay AUD$263.00 full price or AUD$236.50 with 10% discount as listed on Hannants website for a Revell Mk IV Meteor? It would have to include a lot of detail and Tamiya quality mouldings for that price. It's not like we don't have a 1/32 Mk IV as even though the HKM is simplified it's also $150.00 cheaper, it doesn't make any sense to me neither the price nor the Mark number.

TRF

It seems we'll find out in aboot a year. The one think that pops out in these "new release" threads, repeatedly, is that the choice of mark is off. They chose X, but Y has more built, more end users, more paint and markings schemes, etc. Another example is Revell specifically NOT doing a P51 B, despite having access to everything they need to produce a kit that fills a void in the 1/32 market. Why they chose not to produce an F8 Meteor given what has been presented here is baffling to me. Granted, there are more Top of the Mark kits on the market now, but there are still voids to be filled. From what I've read and learned here, the F8 Meteor would be a bigger "void filler" than the F3.

5 hours ago, Rob Colvin said:

I hope "they" will include the option for the PR 9

Rob

4 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

The only way you’d get a PR9 is if the kit gets released as a F8.

Actually an FR9 (fighter-reconnaissance, for tactical recce) as it retained the guns. The PR mark was the PR10 (photo-reconnaissance, for strategic recce) which had the F8/FR9 fuselage sans guns, the long wingtips and early tail, and another camera or two in the rear fuselage.  Now if they do an F8/FR9 as well, a PR10 is do-able.

Edited by MikeC