Revell 1/32 Gloster Meteor F.3

KiwiZac

2 hours ago, Scotsman said:

Hands up who remembers building this as a new release - I know I do !

Yes indeed.  Later I did 5 or 6 Rareplanes F8s, and a couple of their NF14s before Matchbox released theirs.  I had a bit of a thing about Meteors in those days, I think it was all those unit markings.

Personally I'd have rather had an 8 (with recce nose for a 9 included) in 1/32, but I'm pleased for those that have got what they wanted.

Sad to report that I'm one of those with no interest in the F.3, especially a "chrome-plated" one for £150, so I'm out. 

But glad for those in the WW2 groove. If Revell make an F.8 later I'll rejoin the holding pattern.

Heresy on this site I know, but there's so many 1/48 kits of Cold War European jets coming out over the next year or so that these have my almost undivided attention: Mikro-Mir Venom DH112, Pilot Replicas Vampire T.11 (the pretty one), DBMK Scimitar F.1, FFRom Super Mystère B.2, Eduard MiG-21F-13 and likely an Airfix Hunter GA.11 and Bucc S.2B, amongst others. Fifties-Sixties-Seventies is what it's mostly about chez T. 

Tony 

3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

That said, it follows the trend of some companies of releasing a less popular version first.  But I think that price will dampen the enthusiasm quite a bit, even for those who want an early Meteor.  Most would probably wait for a regular non-premium release.  Hopefully Revell won’t use the popularity of a 160 euro release to determine whether they should do any other versions.

Companies often release the less popular versions first, when the more attractive version comes later, as they did with the new P-51D. However, this happens when these variants are already in the initial project, and the difference between them is restricted to a few parts. We see this with Revell's new P-51D, JU-88, He-111.
The Meteor Mk.III only shares parts at this level, with the Mk.I.  The F.8 version is a mostly new kit. It will be really surprising if it comes later.
Revell has hesitated not to continue their modular kits, such as the JU-88 that died as the A-4, when with very few parts it could have reissued as the JU-88C or even the JU-188. :angry2:

Edited by FCM

12 minutes ago, Tony T said:

Heresy on this site I know, but there's so many 1/48 kits of Cold War European jets coming out over the next year or so that these have my almost undivided attention: Mikro-Mir Venom DH112, Pilot Replicas Vampire T.11 (the pretty one), DBMK Scimitar F.1, FFRom Super Mystère B.2, Eduard MiG-21F-13 and likely an Airfix Hunter GA.11 and Bucc S.2B, amongst others. Fifties-Sixties-Seventies is what it's mostly about chez T. 

Interesting you say that, I have to admit over the past few months as money becomes tight, space becomes an issue and not much in the way of diversity of subjects in 1/32, I've been thinking about switching scales to 1/48.  The only thing holding me back at present is a worry about sausage fingers the eyes of a mole !  But just looking at the aircraft on that list I feel a new year and new shift to 1/48 happening for me. Sorry for the thread drift.

Seems to me that they are painting themselves in a corner, modularity-wise, with an F.3. Beyond an F.4 (which HK has already done) and possibly a T. Mk. 7 (with a new forward fuselage), all subsequent variants will have to have completely new fuselages (and some possibly changes to the wings and engine nacelles as well, IIRC). Much more would have been possible with an F.8.

A Mk.III would be nice.

But - I'd buy just 1.

A later mark - and I'd buy quite a few...

I guess, to most of their audience, a Meteor is a Meteor - and a wartime 'companion' to their 262 to boot.

We'll see what we see I guess - it'll be yet another new release in my go to scale - so what's not to like?  :)

Iain

59 minutes ago, Iain said:

A Mk.III would be nice.

But - I'd buy just 1.

A later mark - and I'd buy quite a few...

I guess, to most of their audience, a Meteor is a Meteor - and a wartime 'companion' to their 262 to boot.

We'll see what we see I guess - it'll be yet another new release in my go to scale - so what's not to like?  :)

Iain

I like your attitude! I feel the same way , early version just one , later , at least 2. Provisionally release in Oct. of 2023 so plenty of time.

Because it's a British jet I may, eventually, succumb to the new Meteor kit in its cheaper second edition boxing: a couple of engine sprues (and some wing gear well detail parts) might be especially handy to enhance a Fisher/HKM combo. What's left can be built as a wheels-up, buttoned-up Meteor F.3 or given away for spare parts.

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
spare parts

I'm not sorry to hear that it's an F.3, but I think a surprising choice at it limits future development to a later fighter or FR.9 type.  The wing span is longer and the engine nacelle is shorter with smaller intake and tiny exhaust.  Great that it's WW2 but that again limits it as not many F.3s were exported.   Still, let's see how they mold it.  That may provide the key to what future versions come out, if any.

Cheers,

Michael

On 12/16/2022 at 7:45 PM, Tony T said:

Because it's a British jet I may, eventually, succumb to the new Meteor kit in its cheaper second edition boxing: a couple of engine sprues (and some wing gear well detail parts) might be especially handy to enhance a Fisher/HKM combo. What's left can be built as a wheels-up, buttoned-up Meteor F.3 or given away for spare parts.

Tony 

I may be mistaken,  but wasn't the F3 powered by a Welland rather than a Derwent, which powered the mk 4 onwards? Mind you, I don't know if the visible differences between the engines were significant,  so it may well be do-able.

Edited by MikeC
To clarify I meant the visible differences between the engines, not the F3 and F4 airframes.