1/32 SR-71 Blackbird

Derek B

58 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Actually, from a kit complexity and mold cost perspective, there is no reason such a kit needs to be far more expensive than their current 1/24 fighters. I guess this explains that reasonable price forecast.

All the more amazing considering that it's a limited production.Getting the shape right has been notoriously difficult in the past for this aircraft

22 hours ago, mattcour said:

May I ask how you calculate that?

That's my job.

I am a mechanical engineer and a partner of a company working for the automotive industry. I have access to complex and dedicated software that gives a rough calculation for tooling and metal moulds.

I have read that the price is expected to be under 200 dollars. That is amazing and I really wonder how that will be achieved, considering the production quantity will be below 2.000 pieces. There is no way the moulds will be top quality steel, such big moulds would cost a fortune in high quality steel.

They will be most probably short run moulds, possibly aluminium. Meaning that heat transfer will be a severe headache with moulds of that size, causing lot of fit problems. No one is happy with the Helldiver from Infinity due to the same issues and compare the sizes of the two aircraft!!

Don't anybody get me wrong, I never intend to a be a naysayer, I hate that. I respect every modelling effort and support it as much as I can afford, but 120 or 150 BPs is a really interesting price which I could not help wondering how will be achieved. I hope that is really the price and then I will most certainly buy at least three or four of that. 

I would like to remind however that this price level is just about the same as the 1/32 Tamiya Phantoms, with half the size and a quarter in volume, which also are now more than 30 years old and have been produced in many thousands.

Ah, then of course there are some 1/18 offerings from Hobby Boss or Trumpeter, more toy than a model of our understanding, that give you a big canvas if you wish to scratchbuild details and correct many others as well as shapes. I am not saying this will be the case here, but just totally and honestly intrigued by the annouced price level. If this becomes a reality with the said price, then there is no reason why we should not expect a B-29, B-36, B-47, B-52, B-1, Tu-160, Tu-22M, B-58 and all other similar size aircraft in 1/32nd scale. 

Edited by Violator1991
Typo

If its well done and around $200-ish USD Id be in for sure. I just normally would associate a $500+ type price tag with the size and complexity of the model judging by what others are charging for larger highly detailed models of similar size. Im no expert however and would LOVE to be wrong about that. 

I must be dead inside, for although I really like the aircraft (seen the one at Duxford) , and lovevall the tales of "derring do" from former pilots on youtube , that kit looks just like a large chunk of black plastic to me , not sure how you'd make it visually interesting other than it's size. 

Glad it's hitting a home win for some though, look forward to seeing some WIPs after Xmas . :clap2:

I think some important aspects need to be taken into consideration to compare the cost, investment and selling price of such a kit:

- Most bombers, including WW2 ones ask for very large molds for the fuselage AND the wings. The SR-71 is quite specific as you only need two molds for wing and fuselage halves. In comparison, you would need at least four of them for a B-52! Conclusion: this is not really comparable.

- The SR-71 is a very simple airframe just asking for small details in the cockpit, LG wells and the exhausts. However, as such, this is not very different from many 1/32 jets already released. No external weapon, no other internal detail to add and so on.

- VFS is producing large but not super-kits. This is something to put into the equation as well as this means the investment is not similar.

So, if the size of a model is important, this is, by far, not the only parameter that determine the final price of a model.

Simply want. If it comes in sections it's going to need longeron as well as wing spars

Would be nice to have a U-2R/S to go with it.

A half litre of blackboard paint should do it. And some stencils for spraying red. 

Not sure this needs undercart: it's a natural suspended from the ceiling.

Tony, recovering from shock.