1/32 Short Stirling

tomprobert

More transparency work of late, this time huge steps have been taken with the canopy. 

The kit part was always suspect in my opinion - it just looked too big, windscreen shape was totally off and the sides too vertical:

53579505590_9baf5fdf06_b.jpg

Something like this would really bug me, so I was thinking about making my own by either doing a master and vacforming it or alternatively doing the framing, much like the bomb aimer’s section, and dropping in the clear pieces using acetate.

Then I had an idea… why not get in touch with one of the greatest model makers of our time, Peter at Airscale?

And low and behold…

53579381589_993a424343_b.jpg

53579273913_a7a19ff001_b.jpg

53579381094_492e180115_b.jpg

53579383504_86e7a42e7a_b.jpg

And a comparison with the kit part:

53579274083_04e9a3f660_b.jpg

Here we now have a beautifully printed cockpit framing that will sit on top of a new vac canopy. As the pictures show I originally cut the fuselage to fit the kit part so some work is going to be needed here to get the fit right, but I’m delighted with Peter’s handy work!

I’m currently working in finishing off the gear bays so the cockpit will have to wait for a while, but for once I can’t wait to get started on the cockpit and it’s interior - which is usually a job I hate!

More when there’s more…

Tom

I'd look at that lovely new canopy, then at where it's supposed to go, and I'd just . . . freeze.  I wouldn't even know how to begin fairing the canopy rear into the deck behind it.

I expect Tom will make it look easy.  :) : )

On 3/10/2024 at 8:40 PM, geedubelyer said:

What a brilliant decision to ditch the kit glazing. It doesn't look right at all.

The new version is a vast improvement and captures the Stirling glass house perfectly. 

Outstanding :punk::clap2:

I’m no stickler for accuracy but that original cockpit just didn’t do it for me. It’s such a characteristic part of the Stirling and ruined the whole look. All I did was send Peter some pictures and measurements and he did the rest - the man is a genius and I cannot take any credit whatsoever!

22 hours ago, Mark_C said:

I'd look at that lovely new canopy, then at where it's supposed to go, and I'd just . . . freeze.  I wouldn't even know how to begin fairing the canopy rear into the deck behind it.

I expect Tom will make it look easy.  :) : )

It’ll be fine - just a few plastic card inserts here and there and all will be well… I keep telling myself, petrified I’ll undo Peter’s fine work!!!!