Got an organized bench/work area? Post pics!

ScottsGT

I’m planning out my new work area and need some ideas. Currently all model are packed away and I’m MIA from the hobby and will not set up shop with the same old folding table.  Retirement is just over a year down the road and I want to have it all built and ready to go by then.  
Plans so far; Build a paint booth that is self contained and on a built in cart so I can roll up to my window to hook up an exhaust. I can roll it out of the way and not block my window view while at the bench. 
Actual bench will be 6’-7’ long.  Far right end I plan on incorporating a 26” wide Harbor Freight top tool chest with shallow drawers built into the bench under the work surface so I can have sprue storage separated out and not all over the work space. 
I currently have a 12” riser on my folding table. Works great to get sub assemblies out of the way. It also catches clutter. But I want to keep this feature.  Planning on shelf systems I’ll custom build for all my paint bottles.  I’m currently storing in another roll around tool chest, but I think this needs to go.  

still trying to find a finish I want.  Probably be covered with building mats anyway, but would like something that’s easy to clean up paint or glue spills.

If you’ve got a nice layout, please post up pics. Ideas are always welcome. 

No photos, as I've yet to actually build it, but mine will be 8'x10' outside dimensions (L shape), using 3/4" plywood. It'll feature a built-in paint booth, hard ducted to the dryer vent/backdraft damper, several duplex receptacles, can lights above, swing-arm lamps on the bench proper, lots of storage shelves and parts drawers, storage beneath the rear third of the tops (tops will be 24" deep), a disabled rolling cabinet for sheet plastic and whatnot, shelf stereo system, computer monitor on swivel mount, keyboard beneath on a roll out tray. I'm also considering building in some book storage in one end so that I'll have references handy.

My old layout, long gone now, and pretty small, compared to the behemoth that I've now got planned.

33rS9K.jpg

I'm interested in this topic myself, as I have an empty room to set up now, and want to maximise its utility. All up, I probably have less space than before (especially for the stash!), but more control over, and flexibility with, that space. So, like Scott, I'd love to get some ideas and inspiration from you guys!

Kev

Trying to resist a larger L shape because I'm a slob.  Horizontal surfaces are magnets for clutter around me.  I see a clean flat surface and I go into cold sweats until I can place clutter on it.  I call them horizontal S*** collectors.  I wish I could fix that with myself.

On 1/11/2022 at 12:27 PM, ScottsGT said:

Trying to resist a larger L shape because I'm a slob.  Horizontal surfaces are magnets for clutter around me.  I see a clean flat surface and I go into cold sweats until I can place clutter on it.  I call them horizontal S*** collectors.  I wish I could fix that with myself.

Unfortunately, I'm the same. I may start off with 8'x10', but I'll end up with six square inches of more or less clean work area.

Love to see people's work areas especially the nicely thought out station's with everything in the right place! We have an office upstairs which I could add an extra desk in to and build there, Some people may find this odd but I always build downstairs in the dining room which is kind of open plan with the lounge which also means I have to move stuff bit I do like building while being around the wife and family and enjoying the chat etc, as well and I find going that route makes for a very relaxing hobby for me personally.

Regards. Andy 

I built a new bench last year after we had to take down a wall in the basement for some repairs.

I built what I thought would be a dedicated separate paint bench.

PXL_20210605_024202803-600x450.jpg

PXL_20210606_191356560-600x450.jpg

PXL_20210605_025741886-600x450.jpg

The way it looks at the moment. 

PXL_20211104_024755242-600x450.jpg

PXL_20211104_024744514-600x450.jpg

At least all my tools are in one spot. :lol:

Carl

Sounds like y'all are telling me this is a sickness I should embrace and not try to change?   My location is my "basement" under the stairwell going upstairs.  It's pretty deep, and with the angled wall to my right, I want to make that where a roll the paint booth into when not in use.  When using it, I'll roll it around to my left side and hook the exhaust fan into the window opening.

Brag moment now... This is my view out my window (minus the car. It's in the garage now) to my left as I sit at my bench.  What's not shown is the columns that hold up the screen porch outside the window.  But trying to keep this area clear since the sliding door to the outside is just to the left of the windows. Wife wants me to try and get my "slobliness" under control since we have guests over often and this area is also used by them to get in and out of the house. 

MFQvD2.jpg

3 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Sounds like y'all are telling me this is a sickness I should embrace and not try to change?   My location is my "basement" under the stairwell going upstairs.  It's pretty deep, and with the angled wall to my right, I want to make that where a roll the paint booth into when not in use.  When using it, I'll roll it around to my left side and hook the exhaust fan into the window opening.

Brag moment now... This is my view out my window (minus the car. It's in the garage now) to my left as I sit at my bench.  What's not shown is the columns that hold up the screen porch outside the window.  But trying to keep this area clear since the sliding door to the outside is just to the left of the windows. Wife wants me to try and get my "slobliness" under control since we have guests over often and this area is also used by them to get in and out of the house. 

MFQvD2.jpg

Thats my dream car right there

Here is my setup, it also doubles as my home office. 

i use a glass corner computer desk, and i really recommend this material since its super easy to clean & scrape and resistant to any thinner paints you can think of. 

2 years ago i also build a custom paint booth drawer, i really love it ! its a smart, practical, space saving and elegant design if i must say so myself 

IMG_20220111_195833__Large__WoFsVH2zU1O.

IMG_20220111_195901__Large__RlaokSCoh.jp

Hope this inspires you

Neo 

I too am in the process of reorganizing the hobby room and am especially interested in the idea of a portable spray booth. Does anyone produce these? In the meantime, based on the suggestion of a friend and fellow LSP modeler, I ordered two wall-mounted paint storage racks designed for nail polish, $22 each: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09CFZQYPQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheers,  Tom