Modelling Styles?

Aviacom

I keep reading all the time about, ‘He used the Spanish Style to paint this model’, or ‘Korean Painting Style’ or ‘Hungarian Painting Style’.

So, what exactly are these ‘Styles’ of painting and how do they differ from each other?

Is there anywhere on the web whereby I could see these different ‘Painting Styles’ and ‘Learn’ them from?

Ive done a few searches on LSP and on the web but not come up with any results regarding modelling, all the results where about a wide range of things but certainly not modelling related! :D

Cheers

14 minutes ago, RLWP said:

This is Spanish style:

Favory_Pallavicina.jpg

Richard

Outstanding ....you have excelled yourself on this one  !

I suspect all the "styles" are somewhat like the endless music classifications popular among_st certain age ranges....."Grunge-Nu-Sponge-Core-Grind-Bob-Square-Pants Metal" etc....kinda made up to promote webpages, magazines etc .

The other folk who like endless ...."think the unthinkable".......... and......... "Now !!!!! Version 2.5!!!!!!!" etc are marketing folk desperately trying to part you with your cash for last years product rebranded.....fur example .....here comes "next generation water based paint ! 

Honestly - I wasn't born cynical , somehow 30 years of all womblery this has made me this way . 

There are aspects of the Spanish style I like an think work. The fact is, even reading the great Sheps books the main thing about modeling is attraction of the eye. In that regard I think the Spanish style works, as you do indeed sometimes have to make colors brighter and more vibrant than they may be in real like to attract the eye. 

Just something to keep in mind - painting at the skill level in the examples did not come from watching a how-to on YouTube. This level of skill and artistry comes from a LOT of experience and an artist's sensibilities. Don't get me wrong, just because you (and I) will probably never be that good, there's no harm in setting the bar high and working to achieve your goal.

Personally I do this for fun and as long as I don't get drips in the paint or drop the model, I'm happy.

1 hour ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

Just something to keep in mind - painting at the skill level in the examples did not come from watching a how-to on YouTube. This level of skill and artistry comes from a LOT of experience and an artist's sensibilities. Don't get me wrong, just because you (and I) will probably never be that good, there's no harm in setting the bar high and working to achieve your goal.

Personally I do this for fun and as long as I don't get drips in the paint or drop the model, I'm happy.

Is not dropping the model a prerequisite? 

I am decent at the no drips, but I seem to drop major components at least once, and we won't mention the clunking the painted model into the paint stand or other immobile objects.  

The first time I heard about the “Spanish school” was about 20 years ago and it referred strictly to painting figures. At that time people used oil paints to paint scale figures and that took a long time because oil paints took longer to cure. The “Spanish school” used acrylics and wet palettes, which speeded up the paint curing time. In the recent years the term “Spanish school” expanded to engulf anything that includes excessive dereliction, corrosion, filth, leakage and grime. 

This is a polarising subject. Some people can’t get enough of zombie movies and TV shows, other people can’t stand them. :D
Radu

15 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

If an airplane model looks like Tammy Faye Bakker’s makeup, it’s the “Spanish school”.  Modeling is an individual activity, and it’s a form of artistic expression.  But IMHO the goal of everyone who buys a plastic kit of an aircraft and builds and finishes it in order to try to replicate in miniature what the actual aircraft actually looked like at a moment in history.  If that’s a truism, then IMHO the “Spanish school” of finishing utterly misses the mark.  Real airplanes simply do not look like that in 99.999% of cases.

I have to agree 100%. One of the "styles" that became exceedingly popular, is the "every single panel line, no matter how tiny, must be darker" school of thought, frequently leading to nonsensical plaid paint schemes, that rather than looking stylish and cool, end up looking rather cartoonish, at least in my opinion. Still, the options are there for the individual modeler to do as he wishes, which is perfectly OK with me, despite my own rather amused perspective on these sometimes outlandish methods.

I believe the "Spanish style," which everyone has noted exaggerates the colors and shading, was developed for smaller scales like 1/72 and 1/48 where you need to really pop the details due to their tiny nature. Really, in 1/32nd, 1/24th or larger you need less exaggeration because everything is bigger and you can see it.