WingNut Wings Albatros D.V - Ltn Wolf, Jasta 5.

Whitey

I am pleased to present the WingNut Wings Albatros D.V representing a Jasta 5 aircraft flown by Ltn Wolf.

IMG_5290.JPG

Typical WnW great quality and precise engineering.

The decals are from the Jasta 5 Trilogy although the kit is the D.Va single kit as shown. I ordered the Pheon decals for this aircraft and had painted the fuselage grey in preparation, but when they arrived, the white squares were transparent which required a careful masking and repaint and possibly an aircraft scheme change. A quick help message on LSP and a kind modeller in England sent me his left over Bavarian decals, allowing me to preserve my own Trilogy set for another day. The Pheon decals are very nice so no issues there.

IMG_5282.JPG

As you can see from the WIP section the engine and cockpit have been detailed appropriately. I made the valve springs from fuse wire and added Taurus spark plugs and E Z Line plug leads, not that you can see them all with the cowls in place. 

IMG_5293-X3.jpg

I added the Proper Plane propeller and turnbuckle attachment at the wing roots. Gaspatch turnbuckles were added to those and Bob's Buckles' eyelets for other rigging points. E Z Line was stretched the attachment points and then a three turn wrap around painted in brass represents those turnbuckles. I think the Gaspatch ones are a little large and the eyelets allow a slightly more scale appearance. I also wrapped the kit inlet manifolds with gauze and weathered those a bit. I have the Barracuda resin ones but I think the tape gives it a nice look.

IMG_5291-X3.jpg

The kit decals are fantastic. It looks daunting at first but they went on very nicely and fit perfectly.

Paints were from Gunze, SMS and MRP. I've left it glossy at the moment because I think these aircraft were polished  and kept in good order by their ground crews as a source of pride in their jobs and their pilots. I've added some oils for some grime but after seeing the photos might rub some of it back in places.

IMG_5285-X3.jpg

IMG_5286-X2.jpg

Cockpit woodgrain was achieved using Tamiya acrylics and clear yellow and orange overcoats to the streaking effect. The main struts between the wheels  and the wing roots for the lower wing have an Uschi woodgrain decal over Dark Yellow.

IMG_5287-X2.jpg

The red outline on the tail was masked and brush painted and the camouflage on the wings airbrushed freehand. 

IMG_5288-X3.jpg

IMG_5289-X3.jpg

IMG_5294-X3.jpg

IMG_5295-X3.jpg

Enjoy - I did.

Edited by Whitey

Very nice model and the rigging is really well done, as is the painting.  I'm not really a bi-plane guy, but I've got 3 WNW kits in the stash and an excellent model like this, certainly motivates me to give them a try.

Congrat's

Chuck