1/24 DR1 Meng

The Phantom

I agree on the size of the DR.1 overall.

The 32nd version is just right for me size wise, it's just something in me (scale snob maybe? :lol: ) that really doesn't like a 1/24th model setting next to all my 32nd subjects.

I guess the same reason I dont do asymmetric loadouts, OCD or something similar. The only 1/24th model I have is having up in my workshop instead.

5 hours ago, seiran01 said:

Incorrect Vince - Richard Alexander himself has confirmed the 1/24 was an unreleased wingnut kit.

So it was going to be an official WNW kit? That's interesting. I thought Richard had done some work on a 1/24 Dr.I as a side project that morphed into the Meng kit.

6 hours ago, vince14 said:

So it was going to be an official WNW kit? That's interesting. I thought Richard had done some work on a 1/24 Dr.I as a side project that morphed into the Meng kit.

Yes there is/was a line of 24th scale kits there is another one out there somewhere... What becomes of it is another theory

On 5/24/2021 at 4:33 PM, Dave Williams said:

Got mine today, and all I can say is WOW!  It looks like they’ve taken care of the issues of the 1/32 kit by molding each wing in upper and lower halves with internal bracing on the parts to prevent warping.  Also, the stacking lugs on the wing LE are now separate parts that you attach in the correct locations (inboard or outboard, depending on the airframe).  The rib tape molding is more subtle and refined than on the smaller kit.  Since the kit comes with rolled PE machine gun cooling jackets and seat belts of flexible strips and PE buckles, I’m not sure that it really needs any aftermarket.  Definitely not just a simple scale up of the 1/32 parts.  It will be interesting to see if they do any other 1/24  WW1 aircraft kit.

As a note, this kit is a production DR1 only, but it looks like the F1 may be released as a separate boxing.  There are flashed over holes in the rear fuselage marked DR1 and F1, and a couple of parts like the upper forward fuselage and tailplane have a small DR1 molded on them.

Is it for sale outside of mainland China?

I have built enough of the WNW 1/32 planes to see that 1/24 would be a great scale for WWI aircraft and I hope we see more of them.  I have yet to buy the new Meng DRI just because I have too much on my plate.  I hope this gets wings so to speak.  I don:t think we need the obscure planes but DRI, DVII, Camel, SE5A, Albatros DV, and the iconic French fighters as well I think would do the job.  

20 hours ago, eoyguy said:

And for those of us who HAVE to have a nice figure to go along with their winged things, Model Cellar has released a 1/24th figure of Werner Voss by Mike Good. Im converting the Merit kit to an FI so this is perfect. They also have 1/24 MvR as well.

24002-1-533x800.jpg

Holy Macaroni! That really does look like Voss!

Mike Good’s work is stunning.

Best regards,

Paul