Do you want a 1/32 P-3 Orion?

Anthony in NZ

I have received my copy of 1/32 Electra 2 weeks ago.

Here are few pics of the content, so you can get idea what to expect.

While I was looking forward to recieve the kit, after the initial inbox check I was little bit torn when thinking about real value for money (compared to big and expensive and still not perfect HPH fiber/resin kits). So my initial thoughts were same as Kev decribed above.

I was fully aware what to expect when ordering, I have checked Iain's review and WIP of Andover carefully (Mark's WIP as well).

However I was somehow dissapointed with rough small parts, some of them unusable. On the other hand surface of main parts is better then I was expecting.

What is really impressive is the size of Electra in our scale (SH Whirlwind for comparison)

IMG_4210-X2.jpg

IMG_4211-X2.jpg

IMG_4208-X2.jpg

surface is acceptable, I will have to rescribe new panel lines

IMG_4209-X2.jpg

IMG_4206-X2.jpg

IMG_4187-X2.jpg

IMG_4189-X2.jpg

IMG_4190-X2.jpg

internal surface is quite acceptable as well when considering simple lines of passenger cabin and should be no big deal to make it smoother

IMG_4188-X2.jpg

fit of the main parts seems to be good

IMG_4207-X2.jpg

wings and engines

IMG_4191-X2.jpg

IMG_4192-X2.jpg

IMG_4193-X2.jpg

wheel wells - simplified and too rough

IMG_4195-X2.jpg

and smaller parts

propellers - hard to say anything

IMG_4196-X2.jpg

cockpit parts

IMG_4198-X2.jpg

IMG_4199-X2.jpg

internal structure

IMG_4200-X2.jpg

passenger seats

IMG_4202-X2.jpg

lounge seats

IMG_4204-X2.jpg

and some unusable stuff - landing gear - this will needs to be made from scratch

IMG_4201-X2.jpg

IMG_4203-X2.jpg

I was thinking that if there would be option to pay extra for higher resolution print of some smaller parts at least, I would go for it.

Somehow I think that instead of some rough parts, detailed scale plans could be more helpfull to finish the build.

Pls don't get me wrong with my initial thoughts, I'm not blaming the kit. Im happy that we have option to buy airliners in 1/32 and I'm already thinking about preordering of Bréguet 763 Deux-Ponts, however first I will try to start the Electra build and test my own skills.

Thanks Jan, really appreciate your pics!

Sheesh that's big.  What have I done LOL.  I am tempted at the Electra still. The resolution seems similar on the main parts but lower with the smaller parts possibly than on the Andover.

Still pretty excited to get the P-3 when it comes, Only way I was ever going to get one.  Still that's a super impressive kit in 1/32!  I cant imagine what Iain's P-8 looks like!

Cheers, my excitement level went up a notch!

Anthony

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

We will just need a gallon of surfacer and one squared mile of sand paper and sanding sticks...! :wacko: Too bad the smaller parts are not better. Obviously this would ask for more CAD time but this is not what is asking for a lot of printing time.

I think the CAD source is fine, but the problem lies with the relatively low-resolution FDM 3D printing process that Toshihiko currently uses. These smaller parts would greatly benefit from being printed on a higher-resolution SLA printer, which are available relatively cheaply these days. But this would likely increase the cost of the final kit; but I'm sure we'd all agree that it would be worth it. At the moment, he may as well not provide props and landing gear at all, so it's already a waste of time, money, and materials.

Kev

3 hours ago, norbert said:

I think the FDM is a good solution for strong and big parts, even if it requires a lot of filling and sanding. A solution would be to have access to the CAD for the smaller parts in addition, in order to print them on a phrozen or elego printer at much higher resolution

I vaguely hinted at that idea to Toshihiko, but I think he misunderstood, and made the comment I quoted above about it being too expensive to print in higher resolutions. I also guess he would be very reluctant to hand over even a part of his CAD for fear of piracy. I think there would be a market for him to sell 'detail packs' for his kits, so that purchasers who have their own SLA printers can print them out to augment a kit.

Kev

22 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

I vaguely hinted at that idea to Toshihiko, but I think he misunderstood, and made the comment I quoted above about it being too expensive to print in higher resolutions. I also guess he would be very reluctant to hand over even a part of his CAD for fear of piracy. I think there would be a market for him to sell 'detail packs' for his kits, so that purchasers who have their own SLA printers can print them out to augment a kit.

Kev

Being a manufacturer myself, I understant his feeling. But what will you do with the detail parts CAD when you do not have the major components ? sadly, the option today is to buy the kit, make ourself from the worst kit parts the CAD work that already exist, and print it much finer, and/or rebuild in scratch. Naturaly, the best option would be to get the detail parts in acceptable resolution with the kit

Almost on cue, Toshihiko has just posted the comment below on Facebook:

I will purchase one resin UV LCD printer within a few months. 1st one will be small and cheap one like Elegoo Mars 2 pro.
By testing this printer, I will consider 2nd larger one will be necessary or not.
Some small 1/32, 1/48, 1/72 parts will be resin 3 months later. And I will sell 1/144 resin kits.
5 years ago, both resin printer and ink bottles were very expensive and unreliable. But now get cheaper and durable.

Perhaps he is reading this thread?

Kev

my modelling skills are not good enough to improve the smaller items on his kits to an acceptable level and I have zero knowledge or equipment for CAD and 3D printing (that will have to change I feel). If these kits came with better smaller parts I would definitely buy and build one so really looking forward to his proposed changes to resin for those bits. 

• 4 weeks later...