RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

7 hours ago, DonH said:

This is a great build, I am enjoying learning all about the tiny details on the best of the tooms.

IMHO, the kink in the intake is the result of blunt force trauma applied by a technician. Probably after an internet search "what can make my Phantom go faster?"

Hi Don,

This feature is present on all of the FGR.2 Phantoms I (and Anthony) have seen so far, so it appears to be a feature which is unique to that mark of aircraft.

Have a great day.

Derek

1 minute ago, Derek B said:

Hi Don,

This feature is present on all of the FGR.2 Phantoms I (and Anthony) have seen so far, so it appears to be a feature which is unique to that mark of aircraft.

Have a great day.

Derek

Thanks Derek, of course you are not accounting for the fact that all the FGR.2 Phantoms were maintained by the same technician at some time...

On 11/21/2020 at 7:49 PM, GMK said:

The dreaded modeller’s “assumption of symmetry” strikes again! We’ve all been there, of course.

Great work Anthony. Watching your great work on this is somewhat bittersweet. Always excellent to see your talented work, of course, but a little sad that all of this is what’s needed to portray a UK Phantom! Hopefully your efforts will spur a manufacturer to get one to market in 1/32 scale!

Not just modellers. Trumpeters mirrored Stuka anti tank guns, for example....

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update before I head out the door to work.

Just need to add the blade antennas (which I have reworked too) and the fin is done on both sides

yHtaDf.jpg

As always, thanks for dropping in.  That fin took longer than expected.  Soon I will be onto the intakes....

Cheers Anthony

10 hours ago, Starfighter said:

I LOVE the look of those surfaces, Anthony! You are definitely doing this conversion more than justice! 

Hey thanks Ben, that really means a lot buddy!  I think sometimes I get a bit too carried away with the small details, but comments like yours are a great motivation for me. My OCD sometimes means I cant see the woods for the trees.  But I figure that so few of these conversions were made that I better do a good job or I should have sold it to someone who would have.

There are some chaps on Britmodeller who have been an enormous help too and have asked for a build thread there.  I usually only post WIP and spend 90% of my time on LSP, but I will make an exception in this case as there are several guys who worked on Brit Toom's and know well the airframe and different mod states they went through during their lives,

One blade antenna is on now and looking good, will try and get the other one  on today and fill the gaps.  Then it's intake time!  Eeeek! @Barry @Chek and @Derek B

I am gonna need your expertise soon!

Cheers Anthony

22 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Just invite them over here, Anthony!

Kev

I have Kev, I think several are already members.  

They are a really great bunch over there and have been really helpful to me.

Well the ILS/VOR blade antenna's are now fitted...It is official, I need to look at the intakes now :doh:

I made new base plates for the antennas as the conversion ones were a little uneven and the edges were damaged in places.  so the white at the base is 10thou plasti-card.  A much nicer fit too.  The shape of the antennas was refined to match the originals a tiny bit better and scribed some details on.

uqxj0N.jpg

a0Q6hg.jpg 

As always gents...thanks for checking in

Cheers Anthony

The hackery has started...I honestly dont know what I am doing here.  But if I can figure out where the widening happens, sort the opening shape and size(depending on vari-ramp position) I can work back and sort the shapes out back to the fuse.

Below is starting from the left:

Kit intake with the ramp moved inwards to approx where I think it should be

Real Model resin intake set for std Phantom's (beautiful by the way with corrected surface details)

Wild Hare intakes which are waay too wide.

bA7O4M.jpg

h6jPNE.jpg

Anyway, I shall get to the bottom of this.

I am kinda hoping I might be able to correct the kit parts then grind off the trunking piece from Real Model part and insert it up inside the revised kit parts???

Time will tell...

Cheers Anthony

Hmmm, ok

Derek sent me some pics a couple of months ago of the intake measurements.  Looking at the other photo's taken on the day, they were taken with the vari-ramps closed (making the measurement easier as it gives me a measurement I can work off to match the closed ramp on the kit).

VNpQIr.jpg

This equates to 14.06mm (give or take a few microns.....

Wild Hare intakes are 17.1mm...way too big

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Sorry...me again :rolleyes:

Now, Spey intakes are also shorter than the J79 counterpart.  Interestingly enough I placed the Real Model resin insert up to the kit part......

Look at that

F7cKTl.jpg

Not sure whats going on here.  But this means I wont have to shorten my kit part if I use this.  The reason also being as the ramp geometry is different on brit Toom's and the aft part is longer to the intake lip.  The start of the splitter is in exactly the same place as the 'J'.

Also interesting is that the shapes on this resin intake are quite different to the kit ones.  Comparing with photos, Miloslav has corrected the profile...very nice!

Oh, the kit intakes are 12.87mm wide, so there really is only a mm or 2 difference.

I think I am going mad.....I must be missing something here???