RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

Hi Anthony,

Happy you liked them! Actually, I made them as I was quite disappointed by the level of detail of the kits in that area whereas it is a quite visible one on a model. For some mysterious reason, it seems I was far more annoyed by that than most other people! However, as the corrections are quite time-consuming, I was not willing to do that more than once! This explains why I finally made a master. And looking at what you're doing on that kit, I think that you will made a good use of better detailed variramps!

Thierry

6 hours ago, seiran01 said:

Man oh man oh man, this progress looks bloody amazing! 

Ohhh so you decide to show your face now do you Swinburne....see the mess you got me in?? LOL

Great to have you pop in and see what I was doing to that WH conversion you sold me.  Thanks...I think :D

6 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Hi Anthony,

Happy you liked them! Actually, I made them as I was quite disappointed by the level of detail of the kits in that area whereas it is a quite visible one on a model. For some mysterious reason, it seems I was far more annoyed by that than most other people! However, as the corrections are quite time-consuming, I was not willing to do that more than once! This explains why I finally made a master. And looking at what you're doing on that kit, I think that you will made a good use of better detailed variramps!

Thierry

I am desperately waiting for Harold to reply to my PM to see if he can help me out here.

Yes, you sure did a brilliant job on those!

I have heard from Harold....he is going to especially cast me a set for this project...what a top guy!

Thanks @thierry laurent for your pattern work and pointing this issue out.  Quite obvious when you look now.

I am still smoothing out the intake trunks and tweaking where necessary.  I cant wait to paint the interior so I can glue them on, now I have some JB Weld

Cheers guys

More blending and sanding....

UW5qtl.jpg

Have also removed the patches off the intakes and have one to rescribe.

Hopefully after this session I can paint the interior....I just still keep finding imperfections and shape 'tweaks'  also getting the intake lip a consistent profile/cross section all the way around isnt as easy as it sounds after all the chopping and filling with CA

Oh well....no one ever said it would be easy!  But it's a hang of a lot of fun

Cheers

Anthony

15 hours ago, GDW said:

This is just getting better and better!

Bravo!

Thank you..:D

15 hours ago, AlbertD said:

The most worthwhile things are never easy. 

Al, you are so correct buddy.  But I dont know why I choose models you cant get kits of and have to convert or seriously modify/improve??

11 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

Painting the cockpit would be good for morale.^_^

Yes Cees you are right and I think of that often.  2 things though. 1: I hate doing cockpits and 2: The Brit ones were different inside, front pretty much the same but rear is different on the FG.1, oh and 3: I dont want to get too much crap in the cockpit when I attack the outer intake profiles.

Excuses excuses LOL

On another note, here is the best pic I could get of the new opening

gzGutK.jpg

Plus I started sorting out alignment and shapes of the side of the fuse so I dont end up with too much of that 'hour glass' waist shape at the wing/fuse intersection.  I heated up the resin so its pretty close and trialled the modified intakes. I think I need to take even more out of the shoulder at the join due to how much the conversion was widened.  I have taken a splice out already, but it may need more.  This is where just using the Tamiya fuselage would have made life easier.  Anyway I might be able to get away with the step between the 2 with the new intake shoulder profile

warskB.jpg

The overall view...I feel like I am getting somewhere now.  However things are just taped together and not properly aligned, but I needed to see how it looked together for my own mental state! The splitter/vari-ramp is sitting still a little forward, but I will be cutting these front 2 sections off shortly anyway.

dMeuC5.jpg

mHljq5.jpg

Ugh...I just realised looking at these photo's that I really need to do those blasted widened bleed air louvers on the top and bottom of the intakes before I glue them on.  

Oh well, best figure it out now before I struggle later on!

Thanks for looking in chaps

Anthony

50 minutes ago, AlbertD said:

Your modifications look great. You can definitely see the difference between yours and the kit parts. Well worth the effort, at least on my end. LOL

Thanks Al...I sure am pleased to hear that!

Interesting I have just found another 'tweak' on the intakes (which makes a few other problem areas I could forsee but not know how to fix become resolved), all makes sense in retrospect. Of course LOL

I will post later when I can better show what I am doing with more done.

In the meantime...I have 2 trees to cut down!

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Ok, now I am back in.  Here is what I found out.

When I place the widened intake up against the fuselage all the angles seemed out (to keep the opening at 14mm) as well as have the front splitter sit on the vanes that hold it out from the fuselage.  I ended up with a gap half way down.  No matter how I tried I could not figure out why.

The answer was so simple I just couldnt see it. I needed to glue in a piece of plastic card wedge to fill the gap.  It was only a small gap, but otherwise would have ment the front splitter would have touched, the rear intake would have touched and the lower intake touched, but it appeared kind of cranked in the centre at the top. Then I remembered from earlier on, that the upper bleed air width wasnt quite wide enough (almost a mm) and I know that sounds a silly insignificant number but the wedge instantly corrected the straight line that it should all be in and unexpectedly corrected the bleed air vent width at the rear!

The fit up against the fuselage is almost perfect now and no brute force and epoxy will be needed. The intake sits at 14mm perfectly too.  The corner of the intake shoulder still needs addressing, but that's for another day.

I am probably making no sense at all, but this is for the benefit of those embarking on this conversion themselves and saves you a few hours figuring out how to make it all work.

For those building, here are the measurements

A=1.6mm

B=2.3mm

qDSXws.jpg

Now I am back to boxing in the louvered vent box

LsogVT.jpg

Feeling like I am posting too much again, but it is for the benefit of those wanting to do this themselves.  Rather than finish it and show a pretty picture I think it best I explain how I am doing it.

I am sure there are other ways, but this is just my way around it for what it's worth.

Cheers...again

Anthony