Infinity Models de Havilland DH.100 Vampire - first test shots

Jan_G

36 minutes ago, mydesign said:

This is thankfully a case where I was informed BEFORE.... starting the old 1/32 ID Models / Tigger rudimentary Vampire kit...

seen here... 

vampire-32-vac.jpg 

I am surely looking forward to the INFINITY release !

these images should come with a parental advisory

i remember when coming back into the hobby - and knowing literally nothing - i bought what i thought was a Wellington kit only to find sheets of "white abhorrence" like the above when i opened the box

i felt abused

lol

5 minutes ago, npb748r said:

completely off topic but in 50 odd years of sticking plastic together with glue I've never built a vac form kit. Maybe I should give one a try at least before the eyes and fingers give up completely !!!

there are many things on my bucket list but building a vac kit isn't one of them lol

6 hours ago, npb748r said:

completely off topic but in 50 odd years of sticking plastic together with glue I've never built a vac form kit. Maybe I should give one a try at least before the eyes and fingers give up completely !!!

Yes, you should. Ignore those who would dissuade you. Just start with an easy(ish) kit, like a Dynavector Wyvern, and not something that says 'Combat' or 'Airmodel' on it.

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2021 at 10:01 AM, npb748r said:

It always amazes me that folks haven't tried a vacform; back in the day they were the only way to get models of esoteric types. In many cases they built up into great representations of the real thing and gave us a great opportunity to hone our scratchbuilding skills. Most recently I built one last year and loved it.

I own a few vacs, but admittedly they're only here so that I can copy the shapes into CAD as the basis for models I want to build. I simply have no patience whatsoever for scratchbuilding even the simplest items, so building vacs is out of the question for me, but I seem to have near-infinite patience for computer designs. 

9 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Does anybody even make vacuform kits anymore?  They were a right royal PITA.

One person's PITA is another's enjoyment: I enjoy them and I'm sure others do too. Funnily enough this thread had me looking at popular auction sites for vacs. I haven't found anything inspiring yet but will report back if I do.

I have over the years built a fair number of vacs. I am a dentist who has access to a lot of instruments, resins and impression materials with my career which aided immensely.  Problem solving is a big part of what I did , and vacs are problems in approach and timing of build sequences. Therefore, to me vacs have been both fun and frustrating. Dynavector were truly the Tamiya of vacuforms. Vacs definitely for everyone- but you should challenge yourself. 

On 12/16/2021 at 4:06 PM, Jan_G said:

test shots of first parts published on Infinity website

https://www.infinitymodels.cz/en/pripravujeme/vampire/

mceclip0-8.jpg?1639638021

Great progress !

I surely are looking forward to this Vampire master piece and buy a few of these....

as related to vacuform building... in the old days these were the only way to go to get a specific type. I made an original 1/32 F-100 Super Sabre from ID Models over 35 years ago.... 

f100-si5t.jpg

The canopy and windshield over these 35 years have "yellowed".... may be I should pull these parts from a Trumpeter kit released in 2008. More info on my website, see profile info...

Happy modelling and stay safe!

On 12/16/2021 at 4:06 PM, Jan_G said:

Edited by mydesign