Aussie FAC in Vietnam. Cessna Bird Dog FINISHED!

ericg

I see you got the sloppy window sealant on the top rear glass spot on, just wondering what your technique is for the pilots fingerprints though? Love watching & studying your builds even moreso because of the Aussie subjects...

In the final stages now. 

Mac sent me a copy of the report written by 2 F-100 pilots that were involved with the combat sortie that I earlier discussed. I have reproduced it here. It makes for some very interesting reading.

DFC%20Documents-page-001_zpskgvpikfl.jpg

Some more work

I scratchbuilt the pitot tube as I felt that it was a worthy addition.

IMG_5409_zpsnb5zfjzz.jpg

Only a few more additions left and then this will take pride of place in the display cabinet.

IMG_5411_zpshg6m04rg.jpg

Eric,

You're in the final stages now, and the build just continues to look better and better as you get closer to the finish line.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

stunning - has everything - an enthralling story, the human factor so often lost in what we do and at the end a quite breathtaking model

..it's size belies it's prescence

..I just don't know how you turn out such quality so frequently Eric & can't wait to see what you will move on to

Peter

Thanks very much guys. All comments appreciated.

Onto the last details. I cut the antenna from a length of thick EZline and scratchbuilt the terminals and insulators from brass and cotton tips.

The T connector that joins the horizontal wire with the vertical was made from two pieces of brass tube soldered together

IMG_5463_zpszxuhehie.jpg

All other insulators and joints were made from a cotton bud that was stretched in the same manner as stretched sprue. This stuff is excellent for making very thin walled tube in various diameters.

IMG_5462_zpse3fzy4xm.jpg

IMG_5464_zpsgpzkuere.jpg

Another picture from Mac that has details that may be useful.

thumbnail_scan0032_zpsx5d3mqx0.jpg

I finished the Bird Dog last night. Thanks to all that followed along with the build and once I have the base sorted out I will take studio photos.

I would like to finish off this WIP with Mac's award of the DFC which I retyped as it appeared.

Web%20DFC-page-001_zpsadezro5c.jpg

thumbnail_Mac%20the%20FAC%20Vung%20Tau%2

Some `just finished' pics.

IMG_5465_zps203mzttr.jpg

IMG_5466_zpsbpgfef9c.jpg

IMG_5467_zpspxzsetxi.jpg

Wow Eric! I missed this build thread entirely so just read through the whole thing now. As usual, an absolutely brilliant build, and as always, very inspiring!

Top shelf all the way Eric!

Cheers,

Wolf