1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

Thanks again Tony. You might complain that your photos aren't technically perfect, but they must be the most informative I've ever seen.

There are some muddy black and white ones in some WA books but usually from only one angle.

There are some beautifully photographed restorations-in-progress too.

But none offer the kind of comprehensive pictorial explanation of working features that you've given us.

Good on ya!

Peter - have a great holiday. And who knows what a refresher period may inspire in the next steps of your build.

• 2 weeks later...

evening folks :)

back from a wonderful break - wall to wall sun and lots of doing nothing that is more than 20 feet from a pool or a beach B)

I left you last when I was waiting to get some rivets to finish up the walls of the wheelwell - well they arrived. Actually Scale Hardware were out of the brass ones I normally get so I ordered stainless steel..

my heart sank when I tried to cut one with my snips - they are super tough.. I spent a while trying to cut them, bend them and generally work out how I could use the rivet head, but not the 8mm of shank behind them..

WIP393_zpsmjkjyrnu.jpg

..normally using a cutting disc and a dremel to cut them once in place heats up the metal so much the CA fails and the rivet just drops out, or at least causes a few problems, but for some reason it seemed to work ok so I did it this way - one by one, by one, by one, by one ad infinitum..

no, this is not some new species of metal millipede...

WIP395_zpsrq3ndt4c.jpg

..eventually the first panel was complete and the rear rivet stubs ground down where needed..

WIP396_zpsxakixktw.jpg

..and then all of one side were done..

WIP397_zpswckkp0hm.jpg

..the hours of working these panels to fit seemed to pay off as I was quite pleased the tolerances were quite close when they were all finally added for real..

WIP398_zpsbayqk1rh.jpg

WIP399_zpshtwr4itz.jpg

WIP400_zpscdj8n7md.jpg

WIP401_zpse8vadn76.jpg

..if they were brass I would have maybe toned down the domed rivet heads a bit by sanding the tops off, but with stainless steel I think I would do more damage than good so will probably leave it...

..thats it for now - it's good to be back :)

TTFN
Peter

That all just looks wonderfully fun!  Great show, Peter.

. . . the hours of working these panels to fit seemed to pay off  . . .

The 5 'P's'.  Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance.  You go that right.

Sincerely,

Mark