1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

As ever, amazing, inspiring and educational! Breathtaking stuff as always Peter! :thumbsup:

Ironically, for someone that helped out on airworthy Spits for a number of years, the wheel wells have often tripped me up in a modelling capacity. It's quite tricky to ascertain certain details even from good photo references, and the bit that always catches me are the walls of the well.

What are the angles of the side walls? I know that they are not at right angles, but slope. Can't remember if it's rearwards or not, but I think so. I know most kits depict the wheel well walls at 90 degree angles, but this isn't the case...anyone know more?....and did that make any sense at all??  :shrug:

Best regards;

Steve 

Edited by fightersweep

so I CA a very thin strip of litho and round the edges..

Massive respect to you Peter! I could have sworn they were a single piece, and with that I was going to ask you how you did it!

I have a plan involving making some male and female "dies" on the printer and pressing the litho sheet in a vice..... stay tuned on that one... ;) 

That rivet template of yours.... Are you planning on making one for 1/32 at all? I could possibly (by that I mean really) use one for the Fort :)

Cheers,

Craig

Steve, thanks for that drawing. I helps clarify why some kits have the elongated wheel apertures in the lower skin.

The best method for fabricating them would be to obliquely cut either rolled ali or vac-formed cylinders.

I wish I could recall sufficient math skills to calculate the cutting angle accurately, but it'll likely be trial and terror.

Steve, thanks for that drawing. I helps clarify why some kits have the elongated wheel apertures in the lower skin.

The best method for fabricating them would be to obliquely cut either rolled ali or vac-formed cylinders.

I wish I could recall sufficient math skills to calculate the cutting angle accurately, but it'll likely be trial and terror.

Cutting a cylinder obliquely will result in an eclipse...not an off axis circle.

G

Cutting a cylinder obliquely will result in an eclipse...not an off axis circle.

G

Doesn't that depend on the viewing axis?  

... and after that my mental 3-D projection skills start to falter.

I need a model to see what's happening.

evening folks :)

As ever, amazing, inspiring and educational! Breathtaking stuff as always Peter! :thumbsup:

Ironically, for someone that helped out on airworthy Spits for a number of years, the wheel wells have often tripped me up in a modelling capacity. It's quite tricky to ascertain certain details even from good photo references, and the bit that always catches me are the walls of the well.

What are the angles of the side walls? I know that they are not at right angles, but slope. Can't remember if it's rearwards or not, but I think so. I know most kits depict the wheel well walls at 90 degree angles, but this isn't the case...anyone know more?....and did that make any sense at all??  :shrug:

Best regards;

Steve 

Thanks for stopping by Steve, and you are right, the walls are angled. I have not quite worked out how to do it yet, but suspect it will be lots of trial and error with paper templates..

That rivet template of yours.... Are you planning on making one for 1/32 at all? I could possibly (by that I mean really) use one for the Fort :)

Cheers,

Craig

Hi Craig - I am not planning on making any more templates, but I think the one left I have would work in 1/32 as well. PM me :)

as far as the build goes I seem to have been spending 75% of my time staring at reference, measuring and scaling, and trying to make sense of the layout and structures within what is quite a complex area in the wheel well...

..the 25% spent building has been a lot of making things to learn the best way and then remaking again and again until I am happy with the part..

..here is the U/C leg mount area - a few things to cover - the big angled spigot the leg mounts on, the round inspection panel in the top wing skin, and some of the ribs and stiffners on the well roof..

WIP341_zpsnzvd35hm.jpg

..I spent a while trying to make the round inspection panel...

WIP343_zps7nrtdcyw.jpg

..tried lots of processes before I ended up with one I was happy with..

WIP342_zpseentin3x.jpg

..I also scaled some drawings to the dimensions in the well - the rib positions are consistent both sides, but the height of the spar is different due to the lax and lazy approach I took to fixing the leg mounts meaning the false roof is at a slightly different height...

the drawing means I can see what goes where in terms of marking out structural and detailed elements of the main spar face that can be seen in the well..

WIP344_zpskqdribtr.jpg

..and starting the detailing.. also lots of holes drilled for the bigger bolts in it - I did try embossing them, but they looked crap...

WIP345_zpsrhaesu3i.jpg

..the bolts were laboriously made by putting bits of rod through the holes and sanding them down nearly flush...

WIP346_zpst9bed3am.jpg

..and the basic part - I started to make the spigot so it slides over the U/C leg stub, but the angles involved mean that I meed to mount this to the gear leg rather than the spar face...

WIP347_zpsyotuwbxb.jpg

..also started to fabricate the false roof and some of the ribs - I had to reshape the back wall a bit and re-line it, but it's starting to come together in a dry fit..

WIP348_zpsi98hux8x.jpg

WIP350_zpsya3dvdxn.jpg

WIP349_zpsdp2qxkv4.jpg

..I want to get the basic structure in there, but even that is a lot of complicated fabrication..

TTFN

Peter